Malachi taking advantage of his pro status | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi taking advantage of his pro status

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Wallace signed autographs at Carousel Mall right after the '96 run. I can'tell remember if it was before or after he was drafted. You could buy a picture to have him sign if you wanted to but he signed anything anyone brought for free. He signed my 1996 Final Four hat that I bought right after the run. There's a difference between having the right to do something and doing the classy thing.

John Wallace signed autographs at Carousel Mall right after the '96 run. I can'tell remember if it was before or after he was drafted. You could buy a picture to have him sign if you wanted to but he signed anything anyone brought for free. He signed my 1996 Final Four hat that I bought right after the run. There's a difference between having the right to do something and doing the classy thing.

Who isn't classy?

I doubt it was Malachi that set this up. '96 was 20 years ago. It's not the same world.

You don't have to agree with me.

So glad I have your permission. ;)

Doing it at a high school lacks tact and class. I concede that point.

There aren't enough John Wallace's in our world, unfortunately. Not keyed in to the autograph scene. I just assumed it was common to charge $ these days.

There aren't enough John Wallace's in our world, unfortunately. Not keyed in to the autograph scene. I just assumed it was common to charge $ these days.

Most athletes that do it are established though, like someone brought up before, Pete Rose is an autograph whore. He would do anything to make a buck off his name. The whole idea really rubs me the wrong way.

I think it's much more common by established accomplished players. This smells like somebody taking advantage of his local celebrity instead of celebrating something really cool with the community he grew up with/in.

I think it's much more common by established accomplished players. This smells like somebody taking advantage of his local celebrity instead of celebrating something really cool with the community he grew up with/in.

Valid point. Which makes me believe this was not his idea, but rather that of his "handlers."

The next thing you know he'll be doing some local ads in his hometown and cashing in on that smile of his. The horror.

The next thing you know he'll be doing some local ads in his hometown and cashing in on that smile of his. The horror.
Not the same thing, but your sarcasm is noted.

Geez, are people going to complain about Mali incessantly about everything? We'll have Mali bashing threads throughout his career nit picking everything he does. Seems like there's a lot of butt hurt that he didn't come back to your team. No wonder he called out some fans in that interview.

Not the same thing, but your sarcasm is noted.
They are the same, in that they are opportunities available to him as a result of his celebrity as a basketball player.

Geez, are people going to complain about Mali incessantly about everything? We'll have Mali bashing threads throughout his career nit picking everything he does. Seems like there's a lot of butt hurt that he didn't come back to your team. No wonder he called out some fans in that interview.
It's Mali here because he's familiar. I'd say the same thing if it were Simmons, Ingram, or even Gbinije for that matter.

They are the same, in that they are opportunities available to him as a result of his celebrity as a basketball player.
One is a business exchanging money for services rendered. The other is not.

I started this thread because I thought it was an interesting thing he was doing, not to bash him. You might be referring to other posts in this thread, not mine. That being said, I've never bashed Malachi's decision to go pro, or even this autograph signing. I do think it's a little cheesy and certainly questionable to have it at his own high school.

It's good fodder for conversation, as is apparent. Malachi charging $10 for his signature isn't going to be impactful in any way, and neither is this thread.

One is a business exchanging money for services rendered. The other is not.
Signing an autograph is the service that is rendered.
All in all, this is a demonstration of immaturity.

i know it really is nit picky... but, ur own high school?

charge at a baseball card show at the holiday inn ballroom instead

love mali tho... kid can ball and is head strong. cld become a star.

Has nothing to do with him not coming back. I was happy to see him drafted, and disappointed to see him not showing any joy at having been drafted.

This isn't even really about this particular player. It's about the concept of a kid a year removed from high school making it to the NBA and then doing something cheesy/crass, and about the people who would actually pay for an autograph from someone who hasn't really done anything, almost as if it's a speculative business proposition. Seems like there's a lot of exuberant tossing around of the tired "butt hurt" phrase in forums...

Back in '99 I went to Cooperstown to see Ryan, Yount, and Brett inducted. I had just finished my senior year of high school. Saw Pete Rose selling his 'graph for $10.

To this day I regret not getting it.
I had a buddy who knew a couple Mariners players. He was able to get my Cal Ripken Jr. card signed in front of me!!!!

Has nothing to do with him not coming back. I was happy to see him drafted, and disappointed to see him not showing any joy at having been drafted.
I'm impressed that you were able to determine his level of joy at having been drafted based on the fleeting seconds he had a microphone and camera stuck in his face that night.

orangehomer said:
i'll get more into this later, but $10 for the honor of a malachi Richardson autograph says enough about this kid. godspeed pineapple head.

I stopped following Malachi on Twitter when he started chirping at everyone. While I realize some may have been over the top with their criticism of him leaving early, I felt it showed it was all about Malachi.

Kid is a showboat and was looking to cut and run (for the money) the first chance he had.

But I thank him for his 9 months at SU and the Final 4. Now hopefully he makes SU look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom