Mali on going Pro, thoughts about Cuse | Syracusefan.com

Mali on going Pro, thoughts about Cuse

Flacusian

All Conference
It was great to have had him for the one year that we did. We should all be thankful for a great kid, a lifelong part of the program, and someone who helped us to another final 4. Even in spite of his fleeting stay here he contributed a great deal and I wish him the absolute best of luck in the draft and his upcoming NBA career reppin' the Cuse!

Mali's quote to ESPN:

Malachi Richardson to ESPN on leaving Syracuse for NBA: "Deciding to stay in the draft was a family decision and thought it was a great one. Doing what was best for me was the most important thing. I am very thankful for Syracuse giving me the opportunity that they did and I am very thankful for the great coaching staff and staff members. I truly loved Syracuse and will forever bleed orange. "

I have this theory that being shipped to the D league a la Ennis in 2015 and Rak this past season isn't the catastrophe that college fans think it is.

Not when you're making high 6- or low 7-figures to do so. :cool:

I have this theory that being shipped to the D league a la Ennis in 2015 and Rak this past season isn't the catastrophe that college fans think it is.

In tonight's game:
Demarre Carroll
Cory Joseph
Patrick Patterson

...were all D League guys.

The idea that D League means your career is dead needs to go away.

I agree. As long as it doesn't become a rather permanent destination.

Is not exactly a good thing either.

In tonight's game:
Demarre Carroll
Cory Joseph
Patrick Patterson

I could even see the concept having other applications. Imagine the possibilities of having a developmental message board where posters could hone their skills.

They will make big changes to the D-League soon, make teams time to NBA teams, increase salaries and it will poach even more college players.

Cusefannotindc said:
They will make big changes to the D-League soon, make teams time to NBA teams, increase salaries and it will poach even more college players.

Wow, just great.

Perhaps at some point in the not too distant future BB will look a lot like MiLB. Draft players out of HS and let them decide if they want to go to college or play in minor/development league. Seems to work for baseball.

Crusty said:
Perhaps at some point in the not too distant future BB will look a lot like MiLB. Draft players out of HS and let them decide if they want to go to college or play in minor/development league. Seems to work for baseball.

It's a great idea -- as long as they follow the MLB model and players can't be drafted until after their junior year of college.

It would end the one and done which drives fans and coaches batty.

In tonight's game:
Demarre Carroll
Cory Joseph
Patrick Patterson

you can't only point out successes unless you are willing to point out failures. i'm willing to go on a limb and suggest that there are you can list far fewer d-league "success stories" than you can 1st and 2nd rounders that went d-league and stunk. it is not a "developmental league", it is a place to stash dudes in case one out of 100 turns out to be a role player.

it never will. basketball is far more talent driven than baseball, which is a sport that is more based on honing a craft. the d-league stinks because the nba doesn't need it. they don't care.

you can't only point out successes unless you are willing to point out failures. i'm willing to go on a limb and suggest that there are you can list far fewer d-league "success stories" than you can 1st and 2nd rounders that went d-league and stunk. it is not a "developmental league", it is a place to stash dudes in case one out of 100 turns out to be a role player.

Definitely agree there are more failures than successes...that's just the reality of the numbers. There's only so many roster spots.

Strongly disagree that it's 1 out of 100 or anything close to that.

I have no idea why Arinze hasn't gotten a sniff in the NBA. He has been very good in the D League.

why? You get to practice with coaches a lot more. There are no restrictions on practice time and no classes to take.

There is very little instruction during the season. They travel nearly every day to a new city for a new game.

There is very little instruction during the season. They travel nearly every day to a new city for a new game.
And yet, some young teams and players improve throughout the season. It bottles the mind.

I have no idea why Arinze hasn't gotten a sniff in the NBA. He has been very good in the D League.
I think the D league is better for 1-2-3s and not so much 4s and 5s.

especially short ones.

the Dleague is great for anonymous players from a mid or a graduated player to go work on their game.

ill even concede it to a soph who may have been exposed as having no more of an upside.

but its fluckin stoopid for a kid at P5 who is still rising and about to be on espn 10x and cbs 2x or so, playing in front of 15-20k a night to choose to go the Dleague to play in front of glorified HS crowds just to put a little short term coin in his pocket.

and hell, what if they have a 'great' tourney...apparently thatll move the sticks...

Last edited:
KaiserUEO said:
I think the D league is better for 1-2-3s and not so much 4s and 5s. especially short ones. the Dleague is great for anonymous players from a mid or a graduated player to go work on their game. ill even concede it to a soph who may have been exposed as having no more of an upside. but its fluckin stoopid for a kid at P5 who is still rising and about to be on espn 10x and cbs 2x or so, playing in front of 15-20k a night to choose to go the Dleague to play in front of glorified HS crowds just to put a little short term coin in his pocket. and hell, what if they have a 'great' tourney...apparently thatll move the sticks...
I don't have time to look it up but has Cuse ever had this many guys in the league at once? Wes, Melo, dion, mcw, Ennis, grant, CMAC? Marginally rak and CJ? Add Mali, battle and Lydon for sure

Any real data or facts to back up that theory?

It's a great idea -- as long as they follow the MLB model and players can't be drafted until after their junior year of college.

It would end the one and done which drives fans and coaches batty.

I would have to change my underwear if that ever happened.

I think the D league is better for 1-2-3s and not so much 4s and 5s.

especially short ones.

the Dleague is great for anonymous players from a mid or a graduated player to go work on their game.

ill even concede it to a soph who may have been exposed as having no more of an upside.

but its fluckin stoopid for a kid at P5 who is still rising and about to be on espn 10x and cbs 2x or so, playing in front of 15-20k a night to choose to go the Dleague to play in front of glorified HS crowds just to put a little short term coin in his pocket.

and hell, what if they have a 'great' tourney...apparently thatll move the sticks...

Playing in front of big crowds and a national tv audience is completely irrelevant to a players development. It's just something that college fans convince themselves should matter to college players.

And while they're in the D league, they can still play, only they play more, have no practice restrictions, have no class, AND they get paid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom