Mali on going Pro, thoughts about Cuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mali on going Pro, thoughts about Cuse

So theres a lot of people on twitter congratulating mal. Say its 90% supportive. However, the kid is so bitter about the 10% negativity. I know hes a kid but i wish it rolled off his shoulders more.

I think the D league is better for 1-2-3s and not so much 4s and 5s.

especially short ones.

the Dleague is great for anonymous players from a mid or a graduated player to go work on their game.

ill even concede it to a soph who may have been exposed as having no more of an upside.

but its fluckin stoopid for a kid at P5 who is still rising and about to be on espn 10x and cbs 2x or so, playing in front of 15-20k a night to choose to go the Dleague to play in front of glorified HS crowds just to put a little short term coin in his pocket.

and hell, what if they have a 'great' tourney...apparently thatll move the sticks...

I look at Arinze and I see a player like Dale Davis or Antonio Davis from the Indiana teams of the 90s. They weren't too short. Arinze uses his body really well and he is money around the hoop and can finish with either hand.

I look at Arinze and I see a player like Dale Davis or Antonio Davis from the Indiana teams of the 90s. They weren't too short. Arinze uses his body really well and he is money around the hoop and can finish with either hand.

Yeah, but - we're here in 2016 now.
What might have worked in the Association 2 decades ago, may not today.
Totally different game now.

Yeah, but - we're here in 2016 now.
What might have worked in the Association 2 decades ago, may not today.
Totally different game now.

No, not really. You were just saying Arinze isn't big enough for the NBA, but you look around and the big men are not as big as they used to be. That's my point. He's been a very solid scorer and rebounder against borderline NBA talent. I remember (and see) some of the third string big men on some teams in the league, and wonder why not Arinze. He was a top, top college player, but more than that, he knows how to play a supporting role and is not an ego-first kind of guy. That whole 2010 team was wonderful in that way. Good teammates who played very unselfishly.

No, not really. You were just saying Arinze isn't big enough for the NBA, but you look around and the big men are not as big as they used to be. That's my point. He's been a very solid scorer and rebounder against borderline NBA talent. I remember (and see) some of the third string big men on some teams in the league, and wonder why not Arinze. He was a top, top college player, but more than that, he knows how to play a supporting role and is not an ego-first kind of guy. That whole 2010 team was wonderful in that way. Good teammates who played very unselfishly.

Well, clearly whatever "it" is, he doesn't have "it" for the league.
There are tons of top, top college players (btw - I still think many SU fans overvalue him), who never make it.

He's still doing better than probably 80-90% of his graduating college class, given the job market and economy the past 5-6 years. At least he's getting work.

best of luck to malachi. but truly it's another cuse kid leaves too early nightmare for us

Pan-s-Labyrinth-pans-labyrinth-4029179-960-540.jpg

Last edited:
It was great to have had him for the one year that we did. We should all be thankful for a great kid, a lifelong part of the program, and someone who helped us to another final 4. Even in spite of his fleeting stay here he contributed a great deal and I wish him the absolute best of luck in the draft and his upcoming NBA career reppin' the Cuse!

Mali's quote to ESPN:

Malachi Richardson to ESPN on leaving Syracuse for NBA: "Deciding to stay in the draft was a family decision and thought it was a great one. Doing what was best for me was the most important thing. I am very thankful for Syracuse giving me the opportunity that they did and I am very thankful for the great coaching staff and staff members. I truly loved Syracuse and will forever bleed orange. "

well,well, malikais gone and who cares? all you chuckleheads w/ your wish him the best reply's. 19 yr old kid, if he needs the dough he needs to go. Use the school for a year and then want me to cry for you? nope

I have this theory that being shipped to the D league a la Ennis in 2015 and Rak this past season isn't the catastrophe that college fans think it is.
Who?
Exactly.

It's a great idea -- as long as they follow the MLB model and players can't be drafted until after their junior year of college.

It would end the one and done which drives fans and coaches batty.
You can be drafted earlier in baseball, if you work the rules. Alex Fernandez and Bruce Harper come to mind.

Great question, so I had to look it up.

orangehoops.org lists 8 Syracuse players appearing in NBA games in 2016. (No C.J.)

Only 1996 and 1997 show more with 9 each though one comes with an asterisk:
Both years - same list: Addison, Coleman, Douglas, Ellis, Manning *, Moten, Owens, Schayes, Seikaly
Great research Consigliere

You can be drafted earlier in baseball, if you work the rules. Alex Fernandez and Bruce Harper come to mind.

Two quick stories...I'm assuming you mean ARod and Harper. Fernandez came up to the bigs at age 21. A good friend of mine was in the Pirates organization in the early 90s working his way up the ladder. He was a great player...as a 21 year old ran at 6.4 60, hit .347 in triple A but was behind Bond, Bonilla and Andy van Slyke and pretty much stuck. So he's invited to big league camp and runs into ARod at 18. My friend was a pretty good player, a solid lead-off guy and a plus CF, in line to make the 40-man. But he said ARod at 18 was way better than anyone on any team of the young guys by a mile. Anything anyone did ARod was just flat out better. A freak.

With Harper, he was well known among travel ball teams from when he was nine. Every year in late October there's an elite level tournament in Vegas for the best teams in the West--California, Arizona, Nevada--usually with the the top 13-14 year olds in the country. My son was an elite-level player with a California team that was stacked with maybe 10 future draft choices and D1 players. At one point in the tourney they played Harper's team...he was playing up and all of 10 years old. To say he was by far the best guy on the field would be an understatement. Even at that age, he crushed two at least 350 feet. He was a catcher as a youngster and easily threw out three or four guys, including my son, all of whom who ran sub 6.7 60s. Another freak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom