Class of 2015 - Malik Newman to Kansas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Malik Newman to Kansas

seemed like with his initial recruitment he wanted to stay south, close to home... would he be willing now to venture north?
Staying close to home didn't work out here. I would imagine that finding the best fit no matter the location is the priority. Malik is far from a southern country cat as well. Great personality, charismatic, and has the supreme confidence in his game that we're used to seeing from players in the northeast. I have no doubt that our coaches and fans would love him. His dad is very involved, so I guess that would be a roadblock whether him and JB would connect.

Man, sounds like a really talented player. You don't see a player go either NBA or transfer very often. I know we're trying to make sure we don't scare away the highschool talent, but he was already a burger boy and has already averaged 11 a game in a major conference. This feels like a no brainer to me.

Staying close to home didn't work out here. I would imagine that finding the best fit no matter the location is the priority. Malik is far from a southern country cat as well. Great personality, charismatic, and has the supreme confidence in his game that we're used to seeing from players in the northeast. I have no doubt that our coaches and fans would love him. His dad is very involved, so I guess that would be a roadblock whether him and JB would connect.
For some reason this is like a deja vu. I can't place who the player was but ultimately we had no shot at him. Maybe this case is different. I know this is like a broken record but we would think that guys would be lining up to play in the dome. I guess some guys just don't think that they can break into the top 7.5 of playing time. Sounds like your definition of this kids confidence gives us some hope. All they have to do is look at our post season record the last couple season and the number of nba draftees and you would think some bells would be ringing. Even a four year player like Andy Rautins was drafted 38th. And speaking of Andy, any word on little brother Sam. Hopefully he or one of MCW's little bros heat up in the 2018 class.

Now THIS is the transfer to go after! Good 3-pt shooter that needs to work on other aspects of his game, but is extremely talented. I wouldn't expect SU to go after him, but it would be nice. Wasn't he a Kentucky lean at one point? It wouldn't surprise me if Cal added him and told him he'd be a bit part of their 2017-2018 team then go pro.

Still surprising that this kid seems likely to sit out a year to transfer after being such a highly decorated recruit.

Now THIS is the transfer to go after! Good 3-pt shooter that needs to work on other aspects of his game, but is extremely talented. I wouldn't expect SU to go after him, but it would be nice. Wasn't he a Kentucky lean at one point? It wouldn't surprise me if Cal added him and told him he'd be a bit part of their 2017-2018 team then go pro.

Still surprising that this kid seems likely to sit out a year to transfer after being such a highly decorated recruit.

I wonder if the SEC has any rules that make transferring within the conference more difficult than outside the conference if he wanted to go to Kentucky? I'm too lazy to look it up right now

Please Jim Boeheim and staff go HARD after this kid. He was a top 10 recruit last year. Let him be the Wes Johnson of 2017-18. We would all know he is a one and done. I really hope we are going all in for this kid.

I wonder if the SEC has any rules that make transferring within the conference more difficult than outside the conference if he wanted to go to Kentucky? I'm too lazy to look it up right now
I believe an in-conference transfer is two years of sitting out. Not 100% sure. I just remember that being the talk when G transferred, but he transferred Cuse's last year in the BE, so he only had to sit one, and then got to play in the ACC the following year. Could be different for each conference too.

Last edited:
I don't see why Kentucky would ever go after a guy who has to sit out a year. Just doesn't make sense for them to eat up a roster spot like that. There is just no need for them to do it.

I believe an in-conference transfer is two years of sitting out. Not 100% sure. I just remember that being the talk when G transferred, but he transferred Cuse's last year in the BE, so he only had to sit one, and then got to play in the ACC the following year. Could be different for each conference too.

each conference has there own transfer rules. So the SEC could be different than what the ACC or OBE was.

A friend just called me and asked why SU isn't involved with this kid. This friend played against his dad, who was 6-8, in high school . One of the recruiting sites does list SU as medium interest.

This video is from May of 2012

Dan, please bless us with landing the best talents and get JB another national championship before his retirement. Hope you are doing great in heaven. :)

More than a dozen schools have contacted MSU about Malik Newman

"More than a dozen schools have contacted Mississippi State to speak with Malik Newman about transferring, the university told The Clarion-Ledger" "Vanderbilt is the only conference foe to inquire about Newman, joining Kansas, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Arizona, North Carolina State, Arizona State, Miami, TCU, and Iowa State. Butler, Western Kentucky, Colorado State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Cal State Northbridge have also shown interest."

I like Newman and think he would be a good fit. Is there some reason we wouldn't want him? Personal or academic issues? With our lack of guard depth the next two years you would think we would be all over him.

Malik Newman has not yet scheduled visits to N.C. State or anywhere else, but word that they are interested has already spread to recruits.

"When [assistant] coach [Heath Schroyer] told me about it, I wasn't surprised because I have already been hearing about N.C. State and Malik," said Nick Weatherspoon, a 6-foot-2 four-star guard out of Velma Jackson (MS). "It would be nice. We could play together because we are from the same state and almost the same area but if I feel that if it's not a place for me then I'll have to put some more thought into it. It's big for N.C. State wanting us to play together but it would be hard for me to make that decision."

The 6-4 Newman, who is being recruited to N.C. State by Orlando Early, has also been linked Kansas after opting to transfer from MIssissippi State.

Mississippi State is where Nick's brother Quinndary Weatherspoon plays, thus the assumption by many that Nick will land there, too.

"It's big because my brother and I have a real good chemistry on the court," he said. "What we both can do especially on the fast break playing with my brother would be big but if that's not the best situation for me I won't be there but it's very big."

Weatherspoon, who averaged 22.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 2.1 steals per game at Velma. is being recruited hard by Ohio State, North Carolina, Louisville, N.C. State and Georgetown, according to his AAU coach Omhar Carter. All except UNC have offered.

SNY

According to reports, Newman is currently visiting NC State and plans to hit up Miami next.
So, we might play this guy once or twice a year?
K0w6A1.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom