Class of 2015 - Malik Newman to Kansas | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Malik Newman to Kansas

Of course Cuse might be, we don't know that for sure the staff isn't all over him, but maybe here is a couple reasons why:
1) He's projected as a Kentucky lean. Take that for what it's worth.
2) He's from Mississippi. We've had a couple from down there but not much through the years.
3) JAB knows what he is looking for in a player. This kid is ranked #1. That usually trumps most, but he already has two guard verbals (Joseph-2014 and Richardson-2015) maybe he is concentrating on bigger guys.

A friend just called me and asked why SU isn't involved with this kid. My friend played against his dad in high school who was 6-8. One of the recruiting sites does list SU as medium interest.

This video is from May of 2012

If the kid has sincere interest in SU, he should call. I think, as a rule, we stay out of the south, as it is dirty recruiting with limited ROI.

Of course Cuse might be, we don't know that for sure the staff isn't all over him, but maybe here is a couple reasons why:
1) He's projected as a Kentucky lean. Take that for what it's worth.
2) He's from Mississippi. We've had a couple from down there but not much through the years.
3) JAB knows what he is looking for in a player. This kid is ranked #1. That usually trumps most, but he already has two guard verbals (Joseph-2014 and Richardson-2015) maybe he is concentrating on bigger guys.
Agree with all points. We're basically set at guard and chasing after Newman would be a huge waste of time and resource, unless the staff has some kind of inside connection to his Dad and Camp. The staff needs to focus on getting a Bryant or Diagne to complete the 2015 class. Plus we're strongly in the mix with some high level guards in 2016 such as Tyus Battle and Jamal Murray. So I don't personally see the need to go after another guard in 2015.

Agree with all points. We're basically set at guard and chasing after Newman would be a huge waste of time and resource, unless the staff has some kind of inside connection to his Dad and Camp. The staff needs to focus on getting a Bryant or Diagne to complete the 2015 class. Plus we're strongly in the mix with some high level guards in 2016 such as Tyus Battle and Jamal Murray. So I don't personally see the need to go after another guard in 2015.

Tyus' team, Gil-St. Bernard's, is about 20 minutes away from me. I'd love to check out a game sometime and be able to give a report. I have heard from folks in the know that he may not be done growing. I wonder if he projects as a 3? He obviously has great skills with a great handle.

Francis, in another Malachi thread, I compared Malachi to Sean Elliott. What are your thoughts about that comparison?

Tyus' team, Gil-St. Bernard's, is about 20 minutes away from me. I'd love to check out a game sometime and be able to give a report. I have heard from folks in the know that he may not be done growing. I wonder if he projects as a 3? He obviously has great skills with a great handle.
Official measurements over the summer 6'5, 179, 6'8 wingspan. Would assume you can add another inch or 2 on the height and wingspan over the next few years which would make him ideal size for a 3 man. Currently he projects to be able to play all three positions PG, SG, SF.

What's his middle name? Could we possible take a "Malachi" and a "Malik I." in the same class?

Kid's going to shine. I'm also super happy he picked anyone over UK!
Coming-to-America.jpg

Briscoe is like having both Harrison twins in one body, he certainly shoots enough for two
He is also below a below the rim finisher, I was unimpressed when he took it to the rim in the Jordan game, he couldn't even get a shot off. I know he's strong and takes contact... But dang.

This kid is from Miss and wanted to stay close to home. Obviously likes his moma unlike some others. At least it spreads the talent out... preferable to having all of them at UK.

He is also below a below the rim finisher, I was unimpressed when he took it to the rim in the Jordan game, he couldn't even get a shot off. I know he's strong and takes contact... But dang.
To be clear, the comparison to both Harrison twins wasn't meant to be a compliment

Last edited:
He had recently fallen a bit down the ESPN Rankings. Curious ?

Kentucky Bias. You pick Kentucky you go up, Don't pick Kentucky you go down.

He had recently fallen a bit down the ESPN Rankings. Curious ?

Kentucky Bias. You pick Kentucky you go up, Don't pick Kentucky you go down.
Similar to the SU factor. Both Richardson and Moyer dropped a couple as part of ESPNSEC's final "rankings". Going on for at least 3 or 4 seasons now.

Also, all of the sudden, the SEC lol, not just 'Turkey has been at the top of the team rankings. In basketball. Garbage :)

Similar to the SU factor. Both Richardson and Moyer dropped a couple as part of ESPNSEC's final "rankings". Going on for at least 3 or 4 seasons now.

I have to be fair. The exception is Charles Matthews who picked Kentucky and he was like a top ten recruit now he is outside the top 40.

I have to be fair. The exception is Charles Matthews who picked Kentucky and he was like a top ten recruit now he is outside the top 40.
Still. The obvious favoritism no longer has people calling some of us conspiracy theorists.
mark-emmert-1-sized.jpg

seemed like with his initial recruitment he wanted to stay south, close to home... would he be willing now to venture north?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom