Many of Us Feel Sorry for Shafer But,... | Syracusefan.com

Many of Us Feel Sorry for Shafer But,...

He put Bullough in charge of the defense. He kept Reed coaching DBs. He hired Adam to coach OL. And, he put Elmhurst H.S.'s coach in charge of the offense.

A word of advice about hiring: Hire people who are BETTER than you.

I feel bad for me. We feel bad for us.

I don't feel bad for Shafer, but I sure as hell was hoping it would work.

And he makes more in a year than most people will make in a decade. He is already set for life if he doesn't work another hour, or he should be. And in return he has shat the bed for three years and shown zero sign of improvement.

Sorry I don't feel sorry for him

OrangeFoo said:
And he makes more in a year than most people will make in a decade. He is already set for life if he doesn't work another hour, or he should be. And in return he has shat the bed for three years and shown zero sign of improvement. Sorry I don't feel sorry for him

2 years.

First year was alright, all things considered. 7 wins and a bowl after losing the QB, 2 WRs and top OLman was a solid year.

That's why I've been so disappointed in the subsequent 21 games. I figured he had his learning on the job year under his belt, got through it fairly well, and then we'd start to see the program grow.

Nope.

And he makes more in a year than most people will make in a decade. He is already set for life if he doesn't work another hour, or he should be. And in return he has shat the bed for three years and shown zero sign of improvement.

But but but...he'll have to move his family!

These guys always said if they got the chance they'd want to work together. They got the chance. They worked together. They lived the dream. Yeah, it's not working out the way they hoped but they were able to do something few groups of friends ever get to accomplish.

I feel bad for myself. It is getting very difficult to talk in CT these days. Football is the laughingstock of CFB, coming off a rough year for hoops and the Lax team was off. Searching for ammo, its not easy.

OrangeinBoston said:
He put Bullough in charge of the defense. He kept Reed coaching DBs. He hired Adam to coach OL. And, he put Elmhurst H.S.'s coach in charge of the offense. A word of advice about hiring: Hire people who are BETTER than you.

Why does Acosta get a pass? Our WRs aren't anything special and I've seen many say it's a big issue for this offense.

That is so unnecessary.

He did a GREAT job when he came here. He committed to the school and the community. He was a huge part of saving this program . He deserves our thanks and appreciation, not a bunch of internet idiots dumping on him.

I don't know if his staff decisions were his own wanting to get the band back together or forced on him by available pay.

The guy has proven he can coach defense. He had a lot of bad luck the last two years with injuries and upperclassmen leaving the program. Tell me Zeke Johnson, Wayne Williams and Eskridge might not have made a difference this year.

It's regrettable that it has come to this.

2 years.

First year was alright, all things considered. 7 wins and a bowl after losing the QB, 2 WRs and top OLman was a solid year.

That's why I've been so disappointed in the subsequent 21 games. I figured he had his learning on the job year under his belt, got through it fairly well, and then we'd start to see the program grow.

Nope.
I agree

YEAR 1: 7 WINS and BOWL VICTORY - exceeded expectations considering coaching change and loss of talent.

YEAR 2: 3 WIN SEASON - You have to give him a break due to the freakish rash of injuries that hit every aspect of the team

YEAR 3: 3 WIN SEASON (potentially 4 wins?) Health hasn't negatively impacted us (Hunt/Dungey worked out fine) but we've regressed as a program. The plummet from 3-1 and competing with LSU to where we are now is mind boggling. We've been close enough to win a couple but staff can't get this team over the hump in those games and we get our doors blown off in the rest. The offense looks less creative than early season, the defense is the worst since SS joined the staff and the in game coaching decisions are getting worse with each passing week.

I think the entire staff is tight, nervous and coaching scared. I get it. Thats what happens when your job is on the line but it's unacceptable for this program. We've worked too hard and waited too long to be respected again.

I love Shaf's personality, attitude and the way he treats the kids. I do feel bad for him. But this can't continue

It sucks all the way around

OrangeinBoston said:
He put Bullough in charge of the defense. He kept Reed coaching DBs. He hired Adam to coach OL. And, he put Elmhurst H.S.'s coach in charge of the offense.

A word of advice about hiring: Hire people who are BETTER than you.

Compare this to the staff Doug brought in.

Spence didn't work out, but he had major coordinator experience. The only real What hire was the CFL wide receivers coach that was here a year.

GoSU96 said:
He had a lot of bad luck the last two years with injuries and upperclassmen leaving the program. Tell me Zeke Johnson, Wayne Williams and Eskridge might not have made a difference this year. It's regrettable that it has come to this.

Ya know. This has been lost in this. Outside of dungey's early season surprise, the guy is snakebit; last year, this year.

I was as emotionally anti-shafer on Saturday as anyone. But perspective helps. This guy has not been afforded a break in 2 seasons. Not excusing inexplicable decision making, bizarre play calling or odd depth charts and lack of progress. But sometimes these things kill everythingg. Idk.

I love shafer. Would love him to coach my kids in HS. But i just dont know

I was as emotionally anti-shafer on Saturday as anyone. But perspective helps. This guy has not been afforded a break in 2 seasons.
Going into the USF, UVA, Pitt, and FSU games, I would say the team was as healthy as any FBS team.

What makes it less necessary than any other message board post? He doesn't have to feel sympathy for a millionaire. There is nothing wrong with expressing that.

If he was a ahole that didn't seem to care, that this was just another job for, yeah maybe, but that's not the case here. And he has performed admirably in many ways, so yeah, keep that crap to yourself as far as I'm concerned.

What the ever happened to basic respect for those that have earned it.

Ya know. This has been lost in this. Outside of dungey's early season surprise, the guy is snakebit; last year, this year.

I was as emotionally anti-shafer on Saturday as anyone. But perspective helps. This guy has not been afforded a break in 2 seasons. Not excusing inexplicable decision making, bizarre play calling or odd depth charts and lack of progress. But sometimes these things kill everythingg. Idk.

I love shafer. Would love him to coach my kids in HS. But i just dont know
It hasn't been lost at all. But that "inexplicable decision making, bizarre play calling or odd depth charts and lack of progress" that you mention has been enough to judge.

That is so unnecessary.

He did a GREAT job when he came here. He committed to the school and the community. He was a huge part of saving this program . He deserves our thanks and appreciation, not a bunch of internet idiots dumping on him.

I don't know if his staff decisions were his own wanting to get the band back together or forced on him by available pay.
t's let
The guy has proven he can coach defense. He had a lot of bad luck the last two years with injuries and upperclassmen leaving the program. Tell me Zeke Johnson, Wayne Williams and Eskridge might not have made a difference this year.

It's regrettable that it has come to this.
Right...and let's let Coyle make the call. No need to air it all out here. If he is a good AD, he's going to make a call based on his knowledge...not based on complaints on bulletin boards.

I think Dungey could've benefited from a redshirt year. Sucks that it's not working for Shafer but Hunt could've shown Dungey some of the intangibles that a D1 Qb needs. He gets hit and hurt because he's still playing like he's in HS. There are so many dual threat QBs that don't get nearly the amount of head shots that he takes on. I've never seen a QB have so many concussions in a 4 game span, and there are a lot of QBs that run first in NCAA football.

Orange_Ammo said:
I think Dungey could've benefited from a redshirt year. Sucks that it's not working for Shafer but Hunt could've shown Dungey some of the intangibles that a D1 Qb needs. He gets hit and hurt because he's still playing like he's in HS. There are so many dual threat QBs that don't get nearly the amount of head shots that he takes on. I've never seen a QB have so many concussions in a 4 game span, and there are a lot of QBs that run first in NCAA football.
How many concussions has he had? The answer isn't exactly clear.

If he was a ahole that didn't seem to care, that this was just another job for, yeah maybe, but that's not the case here. And he has performed admirably in many ways, so yeah, keep that crap to yourself as far as I'm concerned.

What the ever happened to basic respect for those that have earned it.

He's in a results oriented business where his resume is 100% correlated to wins and losses. That's why a curmudgeon like Boeheim is going into his 4 decade of coaching the Orange.

Btw, I wish him well. He'll be out of a job in 4 weeks but will receive a few million bucks in the remainder of his contract and i'm sure, with the way college football works, will find another gig.

2 years.

Nope.

Agreed. And in year one, we won all of the 50/50 games except for one. Coming out of the gate, that suggested that the staff was pretty good. Unfortunately, in retrospect it was fools gold.