Marijuana news: NCAA considers reducing penalty for athletes who test positive for pot | Syracusefan.com

Marijuana news: NCAA considers reducing penalty for athletes who test positive for pot

Uconn players are rejoicing.

I found it weird that some of the fittest athletes in the world are getting punished by the NCAA for doing something that they feel harms them when the punishment hurts them far more than the drug itself.

Yeah like we've never had players smoke weed.. It shouldn't even be on the test list. Id rather have my team smoking than drinking anyway.
I'm not sure the weed would be good for their stamina.

A half of a season suspension is still a joke. It's just freaking pot.

I think marijuana should be legalized. But right now it's illegal in most places in the US. There have to be repercussions for breaking rules and breaking laws.

I think marijuana should be legalized. But right now it's illegal in most places in the US. There have to be repercussions for breaking rules and breaking laws.

Yes and they're not getting punished for something illegal though, since is not a suspension because they got arrested by police. This is from doing a test to see if it's in your system. There are no laws against having marijuana in your system, so that's not breaking the law. A pure invention by NCAA that they could eliminate and leave it up to the judicial branches to do their jobs.

Yes and they're not getting punished for something illegal though, since is not a suspension because they got arrested by police. This is from doing a test to see if it's in your system. There are no laws against having marijuana in your system, so that's not breaking the law. A pure invention by NCAA that they could eliminate and leave it up to the judicial branches to do their jobs.
Ok well talk about a technicality. It's not illegal to have it in your system, it's just illegal to possess it, and to put it in your system.

I think it's safe to say if it's in their system, they both possessed it, and illegally inserted it into their system.

Also if you leave it up to the individual institutions, it will be buried, never discussed and quite possibly will lead to a "team dealer" so that the kids aren't risking buying it on the street and getting caught in a sting operation.

Ok well talk about a technicality. It's not illegal to have it in your system, it's just illegal to possess it, and to put it in your system.

Well you can't go to jail or be arrested in any state for having marijuana in your system. That's the point. They are getting punished for something that's legal. Prior activities need to be proven by police/court and obviously no state will bother with that.

Also if you leave it up to the individual institutions, it will be buried, never discussed and quite possibly will lead to a "team dealer" so that the kids aren't risking buying it on the street and getting caught in a sting operation.

Perfect outcome. That's how it should be.

Had friend who lost a prosperous business because he was high all the time and didn't give a fluck anymore. It could've been the same result with booze. Both are bad for you when you over do.

Well you can't go to jail or be arrested in any state for having marijuana in your system. That's the point. They are getting punished for something that's legal. Prior activities need to be proven by police/court and obviously no state will bother with that.

Perfect outcome. That's how it should be.
On the team dealer thing, you know damn well it will happen, which would be promoting athletic activity on college campuses, even if it is just hidden behind closed doors, like the bagman article that showed up a couple weeks back. Just continuing to increase the amount of illegality in college sports, aka mens football and basketball.

Just ask Harry Reid.

Had friend who lost a prosperous business because he was high all the time and didn't give a fluck anymore. It could've been the same result with booze. Both are bad for you when you over do.
yup, exactly... Pot is actually considerably bad for you... Ruins your brain development and leads to laziness, and change in moods to lethargic and not caring... Also, increases heart rate which then increases blood pressure... Pot ain't good for you... With that said, A TON of college athletes smoke weed...

Legalize it all, gambling and prostitution as well. Provide treatment instead of incarceration. Tax the heck out of it.
yup.. if they legalize pot which I am not in favor of, tax the HELL out of it.. People will buy it

One leader up here says he will legalize it. However, our PM whom I really like wont legalize it. It is a 99% Harper gets re-elected and much to my
Pleasure marijuana will not be legal.

Just legalize it and get it over with, it will cut down on so many problems in this country.

yup, exactly... Pot is actually considerably bad for you... Ruins your brain development and leads to laziness, and change in moods to lethargic and not caring... Also, increases heart rate which then increases blood pressure... Pot ain't good for you... With that said, A TON of college athletes smoke weed...

That can be said for a million other things out there.