Marijuana news: NCAA considers reducing penalty for athletes who test positive for pot | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marijuana news: NCAA considers reducing penalty for athletes who test positive for pot

most of the pot today has been cloned/bred and turned into some very powerful stuff that is nothing like the stuff that was being sold in the 60's thru the 80's.

Some here would never think about the kids who lost their mother the other day when the father ate some legally bought pot candy.

The science of growing powerful dope will only get better.....and that will make most here very happy and really I don't care one way or another.

But to here high profile basket ball players complaining they are going to bed starving is total b.s.,he was talking about the money,not food.

eao1115 said:
Most entrees that you get at the Cheesecake Factory are worse for your health than smoking a joint.

Yep.

The "drugs are bad, mmmkay" brigade should look at how much damage carbs and sugar does to people. Like, a ton more.

Weed being illegal while booze is not has to be the most arbitrary thing in the history of American law.

Yep.

The "drugs are bad, mmmkay" brigade should look at how much damage carbs and sugar does to people. Like, a ton more.

Weed being illegal while booze is not has to be the most arbitrary thing in the history of American law.

Totally like you both say. Processed food, Coke/Pepsi, Frito-Lay junk, etc is 100 times worse than pot and contributes to the leading killer in this country. Obesity/heart disease.

I know MANY people who are productive using pot and some who aren't. Depends on the person. Weed isn't nearly as big of a problem as the fast food or cigarette industries.

The reasons for making it illegal in the 1930s were largely racial (it was the height of Jim Crow) - there were all kinds of absurd myths about the type of behavior smoking marijuana would create in blacks and Hispanics.

Just in time, dude!

Happy_420_to_All_by_Radioactive24two.png

Yep.

If you don't think drugs are bad, you need to talk to the parent who just found out about his son or daughter who nearly died from an overdose of cocaine or crystal meth. You might also want to talk to a parent whose life has been threatened by a child on drugs who is out of control. A person on drugs will lie cheat and steal in order to support his habit. They literally lose their soul, and by the way they not only destroy their lives, but they also destroy the lives of those around them who loved them and in an effort to help them become enablers to their habit.

Sudano said:

Let's assume that is 100% correct. So?

Booze kills brain cells. Like a ton of brain cells. It's legal.

Cigarettes destroy a whole bunch of internal organs. It's legal.

Carbs and sugar do the same. Legal.

Hell, there are studies about how a lack of sleep wrecks your body. When are we mandating 8 hours of shut eye a night?

The point is not about the ill effects of weed.

victor said:
If you don't think drugs are bad, you need to talk to the parent who just found out about his son or daughter who nearly died from an overdose of cocaine or crystal meth. You might also want to talk to a parent whose life has been threatened by a child on drugs who is out of control. A person on drugs will lie cheat and steal in order to support his habit. They literally lose their soul, and by the way they not only destroy their lives, but they also destroy the lives of those around them who loved them and in an effort to help them become enablers to their habit.

Alcohol.

Ah... old people. Don't worry, soon we will join the rest of civilized world and legalize it. Might take another decade or two of conservatives to die off though.

There is actual scientific research that shows how much worse alcohol is than about 90% of illegal drugs. Weed is the safest of them all, not surprisingly. The only things that outrank alcohol in bad long-term side effects are hardcore drugs like meth.

I've been to Netherlands many times and have not noticed any mass chaos from it being legal. In fact people are happy and crime is non-existent. You know where the billions of tax money they get from the sales go to? To help prevent addiction and help people with drug problems. In USA all the money from the sales goes to Mexican drug lords. These laws in USA are truly protecting the people! Think of the children!

I've been that parent. However this thread is about pot not cocaine or crystal meth.

Ah... old people. Don't worry, soon we will join the rest of civilized world and legalize it. Might take another decade or two of conservatives to die off though.

There is actual scientific research that shows how much worse alcohol is than about 90% of illegal drugs. Weed is the safest of them all, not surprisingly. The only things that outrank alcohol in bad long-term side effects are hardcore drugs like meth.

I've been to Netherlands many times and have not noticed any mass chaos from it being legal. In fact people are happy and crime is non-existent. You know where the billions of tax money they get from the sales go to? To help prevent addiction and help people with drug problems. In USA all the money from the sales goes to Mexican drug lords. These laws in USA are truly protecting the people! Think of the children!
and to the prison system $

Let's assume that is 100% correct. So?

Booze kills brain cells. Like a ton of brain cells. It's legal.

Cigarettes destroy a whole bunch of internal organs. It's legal.

Carbs and sugar do the same. Legal.

Hell, there are studies about how a lack of sleep wrecks your body. When are we mandating 8 hours of shut eye a night?

The point is not about the ill effects of weed.

Not to mention unknown longitudinal effects of antidepressants, and how about those stimulant pills we are feeding our children so they can sit still in school? Not a big proponent of legalizing all drugs, but I agree with some previous posters that some day we will laugh about how pot was illegal.

I had a friend (well he was a friend) that started out smoking pot then casually started using harder drugs and that ended up killing him.

There are apparently no deaths from doing pot however, if they took the stats off people who died of harder drugs that started out smoking pot, the number would be Huge.

I had a friend (well he was a friend) that started out smoking pot then casually started using harder drugs and that ended up killing him.

There are apparently no deaths from doing pot however, if they took the stats off people who died of harder drugs that started out smoking pot, the number would be Huge.

You could probably argue that alcohol is a more influential "gateway drug" than pot.

I will be honest, I used to smoke pot, and I never even thought about trying anything else. You can make the case that prescription pills or alcohol can lead to other drugs as well.

victor said:

Lol comparing marijuana to crystal meth. Get a grip on your hysteria. It sound like you were the screenwriter for reefer madness!

CanadianSU said:
I had a friend (well he was a friend) that started out smoking pot then casually started using harder drugs and that ended up killing him. There are apparently no deaths from doing pot however, if they took the stats off people who died of harder drugs that started out smoking pot, the number would be Huge.

Here we go with the gateway drug theory which is ludicrous. Certainly hard drugs are dangerous and can kill you, but that has NOTHING to do with pot.

Addiction is a disease and certain people are genetically predisposed. They would get there with or without pot. Could be alcohol. Could be tobacco, could be prescription painkillers could be adderall prescribed to kids with add.

Let me add another thought about that stupid propaganda about pot, that CAN lead to hard drugs:
I'm 46, I came of age in early 80s , in school we were taught that pot was just as bad a drug as heroin and cocaine. Well some us us tried pot, it is innocuous. This creates the thought " well they lied to is about pot, they probably lied to us about the other drugs too (they didn't) .

It's time for this country to get real. Legalize tax and treatment is the answer to that, not the war on drugs. How can anyone say after a now 40 year sample size that the war on drugs is working. It's the biggest failure in the history of this country.

In the last 40 years in the war on drugs, the drugs have become more plentiful, purities have increased and prices have plummeted.

We are making organized crime and drug cartels billionaires while creating violence in our streets.

Legalization takes ALL of that off the table and raises tax revenue for the country.

A persons position on the war on drugs has been my intelligence indicator for the last 10 years

Pot is illegal because anyone can grow it. Once corporations figure out a way to profit while the ordinary guy can't, it'll magically become legal.

Otto'd said:
Here we go with the gateway drug theory which is ludicrous. Certainly hard drugs are dangerous and can kill you, but that has NOTHING to do with pot. Addiction is a disease and certain people are genetically predisposed. They would get there with or without pot. Could be alcohol. Could be tobacco, could be prescription painkillers could be adderall prescribed to kids with add. Let me add another thought about that stupid propaganda about pot, that CAN lead to hard drugs: I'm 46, I came of age in early 80s , in school we were taught that pot was just as bad a drug as heroin and cocaine. Well some us us tried pot, it is innocuous. This creates the thought " well they lied to is about pot, they probably lied to us about the other drugs too (they didn't) . It's time for this country to get real. Legalize tax and treatment is the answer to that, not the war on drugs. How can anyone say after a now 40 year sample size that the war on drugs is working. It's the biggest failure in the history of this country. In the last 40 years in the war on drugs, the drugs have become more plentiful, purities have increased and prices have plummeted. We are making organized crime and drug cartels billionaires while creating violence in our streets. Legalization takes ALL of that off the table and raises tax revenue for the country. A persons position on the war on drugs has been my intelligence indicator for the last 10 years
Oh and by the way, I am 19 years totally sober from drugs and alcohol and STILL believe all that.

Plus my 24 year old brother died of a heroin OD and I still believe that.
I don't blame the drugs, I blame this backwards ass country who would rather jail someone with a disease( for profit at that!!!) than treat them.

Last edited: