Marketing | Syracusefan.com

Marketing

Full_Rebar

All American
For all the talk about social media and the importance for recruiting, take a look at some other ACC accounts (@ClemsonFB, @PackFootball, @Duke_FB, @CanesFootball, @TarHeelFootball are a few) and compare it to @CuseFootball (btw- this has been dormant since April, great for the official account) and Cuse.

We are a month away from football season and since Monday, the majority of SU's Marketing department's tweet area about a mascot lip-sync battle in late September. No IPF progress pictures, no football promotion, no links to Cuse guys in the NFL, no shots of players in new uniforms.

One thing is for sure 30 days out from football. We sure as hell shouldn't have posts concerning twitter accounts and uniforms and the associated complaints. But I guess it wouldn't be Syracuse without it. The off-season complaint checklist is almost complete, almost time to breakout the in-season one.

SYRFAN OFF SEASON COMPLAINT CHECKLIST
Uniforms - Check
Schedule- Check
Marketing- Check
Game Locations- Check
Recruiting Strategy- Check
Dome Roof Discussion- Check
Wifi in the Dome- Check
Twitter Usage-Check
Fan Attendance-Check
IPF/Facilities-Check
Two Deep-Check
Ability to View Training Camp - OPEN

#alliseeiscomplaining #shakingmyhead

Well tell us then, what else should we be talking about? Should we just talk about how great everything is and that it's just a matter of time until we dominate the ACC? We've got threads on here based on every P-S article, and nothing else new is happening. I mean we could talk about how Estime is going to score 20 tds and WW is going to have an Aaron Donald impact this Fall if that's what you'd prefer to discuss.

Or should we continue to draw attention to areas where the SUAD is failing to support our football program? Sorry I want to see HCSS be successful at SU with his hand-picked staff, and I'd like him to have all the things that his peers are getting to try and beat us.

One thing is for sure 30 days out from football. We sure as hell shouldn't have posts concerning twitter accounts and uniforms and the associated complaints. But I guess it wouldn't be Syracuse without it. The off-season complaint checklist is almost complete, almost time to breakout the in-season one.

SYRFAN OFF SEASON COMPLAINT CHECKLIST
Uniforms - Check
Schedule- Check
Marketing- Check
Game Locations- Check
Recruiting Strategy- Check
Dome Roof Discussion- Check
Wifi in the Dome- Check
Twitter Usage-Check
Fan Attendance-Check
IPF/Facilities-Check
Two Deep-Check
Ability to View Training Camp - OPEN

#alliseeiscomplaining #shakingmyhead
You forgot...

Food in the Dome - Check*
Student attendance - Check
Student behavior (in general but generally regarding key shaking) - Check
Dome music selection - Check
Proper Use of Dome Scoreboards - Check
Number of Tubas in the SUMB - Check

I don't remembering people complaining about the two deep.

*=not sure about it but I suspect the Dome will remain ginger ale dry for the 35th consecutive year. How sad.

#ithinkalotofpeopleareexcited
#iknowiam
#lockthedoors
#ibelievethattheSUMBwillhave12sousasin2014

Well tell us then, what else should we be talking about? Should we just talk about how great everything is and that it's just a matter of time until we dominate the ACC? We've got threads on here based on every P-S article, and nothing else new is happening. I mean we could talk about how Estime is going to score 20 tds and WW is going to have an Aaron Donald impact this Fall if that's what you'd prefer to discuss.

Or should we continue to draw attention to areas where the SUAD is failing to support our football program? Sorry I want to see HCSS be successful at SU with his hand-picked staff, and I'd like him to have all the things that his peers are getting to try and beat us.

A steady compliment of football related posts on the football board would be great.

You forgot...

Food in the Dome - Check*
Student attendance - Check
Student behavior (in general but generally regarding key shaking) - Check
Dome music selection - Check
Proper Use of Dome Scoreboards - Check
Number of Tubas in the SUMB - Check

I don't remembering people complaining about the two deep.

*=not sure about it but I suspect the Dome will remain ginger ale dry for the 35th consecutive year. How sad.

#ithinkalotofpeopleareexcited
#iknowiam
#lockthedoors
#ibelievethattheSUMBwillhave12sousasin2014

Maybe we can paint the benches orange. That way it will mask the lack of attendance especially from the leaf rakers. ;) . But not likely orange as that is clearly not the school color anymore. But you wouldn't be able to tell because the videoboards are not used properly because the dome doesn't have wifi. Perhaps if they would lower the cost of games and beers, or offered a bigger selection of food they would be able to upgrade the wifi, so we can utilize twitter properly during all events at the dome, which now that I think of it should be replaced by a 500 mil retractable version.

LETS GO ORANGE - IS IT GAMEDAY YET

HeaterCuse22 said:
One thing is for sure 30 days out from football. We sure as hell shouldn't have posts concerning twitter accounts and uniforms and the associated complaints. But I guess it wouldn't be Syracuse without it. The off-season complaint checklist is almost complete, almost time to breakout the in-season one. SYRFAN OFF SEASON COMPLAINT CHECKLIST Uniforms - Check Schedule- Check Marketing- Check Game Locations- Check Recruiting Strategy- Check Dome Roof Discussion- Check Wifi in the Dome- Check Twitter Usage-Check Fan Attendance-Check IPF/Facilities-Check Two Deep-Check Ability to View Training Camp - OPEN #alliseeiscomplaining #shakingmyhead

That list does a good job of pointing out things we do need to improve on.

I think OP has a legit gripe. A few years ago when Corey Booker was mayor of Newark i recall the newspapers here making a big deal that he hired a "director of social media" for 55k to handle his online social media stuff. I'm not saying we need to pay someone in Syracuse that much money but this is obviously a fulltime job these days. I'm not saying its a HUGE issue, but cmon, it is a little embarassing that the official SU football twitter acount hasnt had a tweet in 6 months. Meanwhile, Clemson is tweeting things like this...

BtoNkL0CAAEJKD2.jpg

From reading the recruit interviews, these kids are HIGHLY impressionable. If RU can have kids beleiving they will win championships, then quite frankly anything can be believed. We need to make a better push in this space.

Hire a kid in sports marketing 30k a year to run all the social media accounts.

A steady compliment of football related posts on the football board would be great.

Then maybe people should start those threads, and stop dipping into threads they don't like.

I swear this board is utterly bizarre:

"Stop talking about something I don't care about, talk about something I care about!"

If people have such a burning desire to talk X's and O's, or two-deeps, or whatever, then START A F#CKING THREAD ABOUT IT.

Or shut up.

Seriously.

Not sure why folks are jumping on the OP. Seems like a legit topic during the off-season.

Agreed.

We can't compete with some of these other schools when it comes to IPFs, game day experience, crowds...

This is something we should be a leader in.

Then maybe people should start those threads, and stop dipping into threads they don't like.

I swear this board is utterly bizarre:

"Stop talking about something I don't care about, talk about something I care about!"

If people have such a burning desire to talk X's and O's, or two-deeps, or whatever, then START A F#CKING THREAD ABOUT IT.

Or shut up.

Seriously.

Okay guy!

I don't mind criticism-especially from those who think I'm too negative or a complainer. Like Scooch said- skip the thread if you have no interest in the topic.

What I don't understand is when people who say we should embrace the new uniforms because it helps recruiting, don't care to discuss marketing, game-day experience, etc. which also impact recruiting.

We can have the greatest uniforms known to man and if the Dome is 1/2 empty, this staff is going to have a hard time getting the talent to win 10 games. I just want the SUAD folks to get their act together and take care of things which don't take a lot of either time or money.

I don't mind criticism-especially from those who think I'm too negative or a complainer. Like Scooch said- skip the thread if you have no interest in the topic.

What I don't understand is when people who say we should embrace the new uniforms because it helps recruiting, don't care to discuss marketing, game-day experience, etc. which also impact recruiting.

We can have the greatest uniforms known to man and if the Dome is 1/2 empty, this staff is going to have a hard time getting the talent to win 10 games. I just want the SUAD folks to get their act together and take care of things which don't take a lot of either time or money.
I was disappointed to see the Cuse Twitter feed is still making spelling and grammar mistakes.

But yes, this is a very big part of the future of athletics. They really need to not only embrace that, but get out ahead of it and anticipate the newest big things so that SU can be on the forefront.

Syracuse might as well not have a marketing department because its non existent. I watch a ton of sports and I have seen the pre-season Syracuse football commerical twice and both times it was on during an odd time or weird channel. Waiting for Syracuse to improve its marketing ability is like waiting for it to be 70 in Syracuse in February, its just not going to happen, ever.

Good point. Really no excuse not to have someone tweeting their a$$ off.

The University is still hiring someone to oversee social media. They just didn't include the best candidate in the group of finalists.
BOO! BOO! BAD SYRACUSE! BAD, BAD!

Syracuse might as well not have a marketing department because its non existent. I watch a ton of sports and I have seen the pre-season Syracuse football commerical twice and both times it was on during an odd time or weird channel. Waiting for Syracuse to improve its marketing ability is like waiting for it to be 70 in Syracuse in February, its just not going to happen, ever.

There's a good chance that SU bought a "run of schedule" for commercial time from the local cable outfit up there (Time Warner?). That means they place ads somewhat randomly.

Typically an advertiser will purchase that inventory at low rates, and then also purchase much more highly targeted inventory (say in MLB games) at a higher rate.

Just thinking that may the cause of what you experienced.

There should be a Syracuse football or athletics commercial as often, if not more than the Billy Fuccilo commercials. Come up with a catch phrase as well, brain wash the Syracuse community and surrounding areas. Even if it is extremely annoying, it works.

I think OP has a legit gripe. A few years ago when Corey Booker was mayor of Newark i recall the newspapers here making a big deal that he hired a "director of social media" for 55k to handle his online social media stuff. I'm not saying we need to pay someone in Syracuse that much money but this is obviously a fulltime job these days. I'm not saying its a HUGE issue, but cmon, it is a little embarassing that the official SU football twitter acount hasnt had a tweet in 6 months. Meanwhile, Clemson is tweeting things like this...

BtoNkL0CAAEJKD2.jpg

From reading the recruit interviews, these kids are HIGHLY impressionable. If RU can have kids beleiving they will win championships, then quite frankly anything can be believed. We need to make a better push in this space.

Hire a kid in sports marketing 30k a year to run all the social media accounts.
Eric White and the rest of the staff tweet stuff like that from their personal accounts.

The less Syracuse University tweets the better...

otherwise, they'd be advertising Terrell Hunt jerseys on sale, and congratulating every recruit who gives a verbal. :eek:

SU Soccer is doing a better job marketing right now. What's so hard about the SUAD doing this instead of wasting time with Otto lip-sync videos?

10576899_10152376523689601_6018358178610193221_n.jpg