Marrone Giving Back to SU | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Giving Back to SU

mlbball99

2nd String
Ever since Marrone left, people have had a bitter taste against him. But looking back at the past couple of years, he clearly cares about SU. Rationale?

-Antwan Bailey getting a chance to coach with the Bills last year
-Siriki Diabte getting a chance to coach with the Bills LBs this year
-Zack Chibane Training Camp with Bills
-Macky Macphereson Training Camp with Bills

I want to say Nick Provo got a shot also. Keep it up Doug. We appreciate the SU support.

Good for him, but I'm not sure how that is 'giving back to SU'. Supporting former players, I get it. Good on him. But other than PR, I'm not sure how SU benefits here.
So you are a recruit and you hear that an NFL coach, a former player and grad, has SU guys on his roster and staff.... not a bad recruiting chip to have.

Ever since Marrone left, people have had a bitter taste against him. But looking back at the past couple of years, he clearly cares about SU. Rationale?

I want to say Nick Provo got a shot also. Keep it up Doug. We appreciate the SU support.
That's him giving back to his former players but not SU

All of these decisions have nothing to do with supporting SU and everything to do with supporting the Bills (and what's best for Marrone).

That's him giving back to his former players but not SU

When he hires A.J. Long in four years, that's giving back to SU. Right now he's just giving back to the kids he coached and trying to give them breaks to get into the profession.

So you are a recruit and you hear that an NFL coach, a former player and grad, has SU guys on his roster and staff... not a bad recruiting chip to have.
Maybe. Personally, I don't see it. I have to think that would be far down the list.

Redirecting this wildly off-course ship back into the right direction was enough in my book. Oh yeah, and bringing us Scott Shafer is also a big thumbs as well.

He is a proud alum and will always support Syracuse. I can say that with a high level of certainty.

Marrone put everything he had into saving this program. He was thanked by an uninterested casual fanbase and lack of an IPF. He didn't like the college aspect of coaching and moved to where he's better suited. While his poaching of Hackett cost us that QB out of Texas, his departure also led the way for Shafer to bring in McD, punch our way back into NJ, and have one of our best recruiting classes in a decade. Time to let go of the bad feelings as Marrone did a helluva lot more good than bad.

I view it less as a betrayal than a minor tragedy. It think this was his dream job and he realized it wasn't what he'd dreamed about so he moved on. I still think he should have addressed the fans with the reason he left and his concerns about the program. He arrived with a speech and left in silence.

But it's over and we all need to move on.

i wish he'd start giving his all to a team i don't root for. maybe next year

I view it less as a betrayal than a minor tragedy. It think this was his dream job and he realized it wasn't what he'd dreamed about so he moved on. I still think he should have addressed the fans with the reason he left and his concerns about the program. He arrived with a speech and left in silence.

But it's over and we all need to move on.

Much better for everyone involved that he did not list his reasons for leaving...it would have caused more harm than good.

Much better for everyone involved that he did not list his reasons for leaving...it would have caused more harm than good.

You are so dead on! I actually think moving on with no explanation was a smart move on his part. I also
agree with those who feel he did the program a major service during his time as head coach. Just remember what he started with--scary!

Every single coach who leaves College for the nfl does this...

Not buying it at all.

People are acting like he left us for a d2 school or something. An NFL job is an NFL job, and outside of about 5 or so gigs in cfb, that is a better job. I was sad and disappointed when he left, but I understand why he did.

i wish he'd start giving his all to a team i don't root for. maybe next year

Did your "Marrone thread" senses go off this morning as soon as this thread was posted.

Loads of sour oranges in this thread.

I'd suspect just about everyone, given the same choices, would do something similar career wise. Sure, a few of the details could have been handled differently, but it's time to move on.

No way. I'd never move to Buffalo.