Marrone Giving Back to SU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Giving Back to SU

FWIW, I heard from a very reliable source (someone who spoke directly to Coach Marrone) that Gross basically told him prior to the 2012 season that if he didn't make a bowl that season, he wasn't going to be retained as head coach.

At the time he was 17-20, pretty close to .500 at a program that was 10-37 the four years prior to him being there. Considering that and being told something like that, I don't blame him for leaving one bit. Just reinforces the fact that football at Syracuse is a "what have you done for me lately" business just like the NFL is and if you have an opportunity to improve your lot you take it.

OMG another Doug Marrone thread. I am so over that. He turned the program around and he got rewarded with an NFL job. Fair trade all around. Not a god nor a devil and just leave it at that.

FWIW, I heard from a very reliable source (someone who spoke directly to Coach Marrone) that Gross basically told him prior to the 2012 season that if he didn't make a bowl that season, he wasn't going to be retained as head coach.

At the time he was 17-20, pretty close to .500 at a program that was 10-37 the four years prior to him being there. Considering that and being told something like that, I don't blame him for leaving one bit. Just reinforces the fact that football at Syracuse is a "what have you done for me lately" business just like the NFL is and if you have an opportunity to improve your lot you take it.
284ad1.gif

Marrone turned around the worst BCS program in the country while hamstrung by a poor fanbase, poor recruiting base, questionable support from the AD and community and generally crappy facilities. He took a promotion to the highest level a coach can reach. He is flawed like anyone but he did a ton for the program. That's all anyone can ask.

total bs

total bs

You can believe whatever the hell you want. I'm only relaying what I was told by someone who spent a significant amount of time with Marrone and would have no reason to lie.

And now I completely understand why people are hesitant to share information here. Thanks for reinforcing that.

Last edited:
I can certainly believe that Gross put that ultimatum on FHCDM. Combine the heat that Gross had on him after the GROB debacle with the complete collapse by the football team in 2011 and it makes sense

If that's the case, then he had a likely 12 month head start on doing background checks, putting out feelers and reviewing resumes...and all he came up with was SS, then Gross is a bigger buffoon at hiring football coaches than we ever could've imagined.

All this is irrelevant. No matter what, Marrone's view would be NFL>College. So if Gross was praising Marrone every day I think Marrone would still be gone when the NFL called.

He better be most concerned with getting the Bills to the playoffs. Because if he doesn't, this year, the odds are against him that he'll be with that organization much longer.

If that's the case, then he had a likely 12 month head start on doing background checks, putting out feelers and reviewing resumes...and all he came up with was SS, then Gross is a bigger buffoon at hiring football coaches than we ever could've imagined.

It's not that case - but if it were - is it out of the realm of possibility that SS WAS the best choice for this school at that moment?

Well, his 1st choices to replace G-Rob were Edsall and Skippy so you be the judge...

I can certainly believe that Gross put that ultimatum on FHCDM. Combine the heat that Gross had on him after the GROB debacle with the complete collapse by the football team in 2011 and it makes sense

Pretty much what I said when I heard it - everything made a lot more sense to me. And my source spent time with him after the 2011 season and prior to the 2012 season, I know that for a fact. The ultimatum may have came from further up the chain, but he was very clear that it had been communicated to him.

Ultimatum is a pretty strong term. I can see TGD telling DM that if he didn't win soon they might both be gone or, at the very least, that he couldn't protect him much longer. Let's face it, the record was not very good at that point. DM did not enjoy universal support even on this board. Patience is not commodity in great supply in sports (unless you live in Chicago). Not surprising in my view and I find anything like this quite plausible.

We got our guy so all's well that ends well.

It's not that case - but if it were - is it out of the realm of possibility that SS WAS the best choice for this school at that moment?
Yes. Completely out of the realm.

He may be the 'interim' choice, who earns an interview and then gets the job when 'the choice' turns it down. But under no circumstances is anyone with a brain firing a guy to give the job to an underling with no experience unless that underling is wanted by half of America based on ridiculous success. And he even then you have him grooming his replacement.

SS does not fit that bill.

He may be the 'interim' choice, who earns an interview and then gets the job when 'the choice' turns it down. But under no circumstances is anyone with a brain firing a guy to give the job to an underling with no experience unless that underling is wanted by half of America based on ridiculous success. And he even then you have him grooming his replacement.

Can you rephrase your response so that it can be understood by the few (maybe the majority) where it went "whoosh"?

Remote, sure. But Gross is around the program all the time, in scenarios that we don't have access. I'm not saying this is what happened - or Gross had him in mind 100%. But SS was hired rather quickly, without a national search (partly because of the timing, I'll grant you) - I'd guess Gross was impressed with SS all along. There was nothing 'interim" about the hire.

northacuse said:
Can you rephrase your response so that it can be understood by the few (maybe the majority) where it went "whoosh"?

I think what Kaiser is saying is that you don't think about firing a head coach and telling him such that far in advance and plan to hire his assistant.

I think what Kaiser is saying is that you don't think about firing a head coach and telling him such that far in advance and plan to hire his assistant.

Thank you.

rrlbees said:
I think what Kaiser is saying is that you don't think about firing a head coach and telling him such that far in advance and plan to hire his assistant, unless you think the assistant is a better choice.

Fixed. I'm not saying that what happened - but let's be clear: removing a guy based on performance and replacing him with the guy next in line is kind of what happens all the time in corporate America. Did Marrone and Gross butt heads? Was he unimpressed with his recruiting success? Wins on the field?

Gross has access to SS, said he'd been impressed with him since the beginning. The lack of a search, followed by the rather quick hire has always been attributed to bad timing for a coach search and keeping the recruits we had... Is it out of the question to think that Gross always had SS in mind, should Marrone take another job OR be relieved of his position?

Fixed. I'm not saying that what happened - but let's be clear: removing a guy based on performance and replacing him with the guy next in line is kind of what happens all the time in corporate America. Did Marrone and Gross butt heads? Was he unimpressed with his recruiting success? Wins on the field?

Gross has access to SS, said he'd been impressed with him since the beginning. The lack of a search, followed by the rather quick hire has always been attributed to bad timing for a coach search and keeping the recruits we had... Is it out of the question to think that Gross always had SS in mind, should Marrone take another job OR be relieved of his position?
This is not corporate America, this is major college football.

SS was not a stoops, or jimbo, or muschamp, hell he wasn't even holgorsen.

If marrone was canned, the whole staff wouldve been gone as well.

So lets say marrone was fired after regular season loss #7 or it was assumed he would be gone...you think gross would've hired the DC of that ridiculousness?????

Okie doke...

KaiserUEO said:
This is not corporate America, this is major college football. SS was not a stoops, or jimbo, or muschamp, hell he wasn't even holgorsen. If marrone was canned, the whole staff wouldve been gone as well. So lets say marrone was fired after regular season loss #7 or it was assumed he would be gone...you think gross would've hired the DC of that ridiculousness????? Okie doke...

Yeah - except the defense was the only fairly consistent thing in the Marrone years. The O was the issue until his final season with Nassib.

Again - we don't know what Gross thought of SS, except that he hired him as the HC, very shortly after Marrone's departure.

My only point in all this is to say - assumptions from afar can be laid bare as fact. You're probably right in you're assessment - I'm just not sure you can be 100% confident. Holes poked.

Hahahahahaha!!!

Yeah fine, there was a chance, a possibility that SS would've been the hire.

Holes poked...yep you poked em all right.

Except in this I'm a Battleship and you are shooting a BB gun from shore.

I'll send bees out with a can if paint to cover up those 'holes' you left.

I'll give you that I'm sure you've poked holes at me before, I just can't fathom any this time.