Marrone Giving Back to SU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Giving Back to SU

They were also the first choices of many on this board.
True enough but other like OttoinGrotto was on Kevin Sumlin early. I may start paying more attention.

KaiserUEO said:
Hahahahahaha!!! Yeah fine, there was a chance, a possibility that SS would've been the hire. Holes poked...yep you poked em all right. Except in this I'm a Battleship and you are shooting a BB gun from shore. I'll send bees out with a can if paint to cover up those 'holes' you left. I'll give you that I'm sure you've poked holes at me before, I just can't fathom any this time.

Hey now - don't get all too high and mighty for us your highness. You act like you're the only guy with a brain.

I couched everything I was saying in "could be wrong" and "this is probably not how it happened"... Given the lack of evidence either way - and SS and Gross not chiming in, I'd say no one can be certain of much.

True enough but other like OttoinGrotto was on Kevin Sumlin early. I may start paying more attention.
It's easy. Look at the coaches from places that usually aren't all that good that are suddenly scoring points.

Hey now - don't get all too high and mighty for us your highness. You act like you're the only guy with a brain.

I couched everything I was saying in "could be wrong" and "this is probably not how it happened"... Given the lack of evidence either way - and SS and Gross not chiming in, I'd say no one can be certain of much.
Try to not let it bother you too much. Kaiser has a way of talking down to people.

Fixed. I'm not saying that what happened - but let's be clear: removing a guy based on performance and replacing him with the guy next in line is kind of what happens all the time in corporate America. Did Marrone and Gross butt heads? Was he unimpressed with his recruiting success? Wins on the field?

Gross has access to SS, said he'd been impressed with him since the beginning. The lack of a search, followed by the rather quick hire has always been attributed to bad timing for a coach search and keeping the recruits we had... Is it out of the question to think that Gross always had SS in mind, should Marrone take another job OR be relieved of his position?

If Marrone had been let go, the entire staff would have been gone as well.

GoSU96 said:
If Marrone had been let go, the entire staff would have been gone as well.

You know this for sure?

I'm not assuming that he was told "win this year or it's time to go"... But if he was? One very good offensive year and a Pinstripe Bowl not only saved his job, but was enough for Gross to hire SS when the NFL calls?

This "you never fire the HC and hire an assistant" mantra seems like it's writ in stone or something. I'm just saying it's possible.

You know this for sure?

I'm not assuming that he was told "win this year or it's time to go"... But if he was? One very good offensive year and a Pinstripe Bowl not only saved his job, but was enough for Gross to hire SS when the NFL calls?

This "you never fire the HC and hire an assistant" mantra seems like it's writ in stone or something. I'm just saying it's possible.
Why???

Seriously, why????

I think we all get the .0001% chance or whatever of him actually hiring SS...and Syracuse becoming a national joke, but why bother pointing it out??????

Why?????

Common sense rule applies here.

I think if I were Gross and I had a guy like Shafer on the staff, I might view him as a good alternative if I could not hire a so-called name coach (retread?). With his record (which is all that matters to most) it is not hard to believe Marrone had a target on his back. As a matter of fact, if Gross was not thinking of how much longer to give Doug, hew wouldn't be doing his job. DM was under severe criticism by probably the majority of observers until the late season 2012 turn around.

Really good coaches get fired all the time because they have mission impossible or they just run out of time. IMO anything is believable.

SWC75 said:
Is that what happened?

Only in his mind. Along with a mythical all blue, not an ounce of orange uni, THunt playing safety, and Nassib getting cut.

Sorry this thread got hijacked a bit. People are so sure of themselves while having the same info as the rest of us - gets me worked up.

Marrone was on the hot seat going into 2012. That squad should have been top 25 but lost some games it shouldn't have. That 2012 season though won Marrone the fanbase though. He had every right to leave for the NFL though.

To support Kaiser's position I can only think of 1 time a sitting coach who wasn't interim coach took over for a fired coach was when Miami hired Defensive Coordinator Randy Shannon to replace Larry Coker. The only reason IMO got the job was he was an unbelievable recruiter. I am glad we got SS now but it's doubtful he gets the job if Marrone would have gotten popped.

If Doug got fired, good defence or not...

Shafer would not be the head coach...

KaiserUEO said:
I think there's a possibility we don't...

True ... Eli's interception rate always adds an added layer of crankiness to your posts

If Doug got fired, good defence or not...

Shafer would not be the head coach...

You might have proven to be right but we will never know. Don't understand the logic behind that conclusion.

You might have proven to be right but we will never know. Don't understand the logic behind that conclusion.

Well the defense in 2012 wasn't all that great, a bit better than 2011 and the worst rushing and scoring defense in the four years they had been here. 2012 was an offense first team.

If Marrone had been bounced they were not going to hire internally.

Well the defense in 2012 wasn't all that great, a bit better than 2011 and the worst rushing and scoring defense in the four years they had been here. 2012 was an offense first team.

If Marrone had been bounced they were not going to hire internally.
I guess that would really have depended on when they would have fired him.
Shafer clearly had the team support, which ain't nothin' but also usually doesn't amount to much. I am pretty sure that if 2012 was a losing season with the same offensive results as the previous year, DM would not have survived. But here is the deal, if 2012 ended in a losing season and the program images sucked it would have been much harder to hire anybody.

So, if Gross hired Shafer while in a stronger position after the 2012 season why would he not have hired him after a bad one when arguably, he would have had fewer (and worse) choices? That is my point.