Marrone In Line for Saints' HC Gig? | Syracusefan.com

Marrone In Line for Saints' HC Gig?

Here's the thing. You have an aging Brees and holes all over

The Saints are not a good job right now

Any NFL HC gig is a good one for someone like Marrone, IMHO. I doubt that most teams with openings regard him as a home run hire, but he could end up with a spot somewhere when the music stops. More than I ever thought he would get at this point.

It's just one day after the season but if I had to guess...(and this will change in the coming days for me)

49ers--Josh McDaniels
LA--Kyle Shannhan
Jax--Tom Coughlin
Denver--Vance Joseph
Buffalo--Anthony Lynn
San Diego--Mike Smith

If the Saints trade Sean Payton then obviously I see Doug landing there.

Doug Marrone in LA would be awful.

New Orleans would be great for him. Or the Titans if they were dumb enough to do something.
The Bears may make a move

Everyone is waiting on the Indy job. IF the Indy job comes open (which it probably will) it becomes #1 on every one of these candidates wish list because they have a franchise QB in place.

The Indy job also brings in the other big name candidates not mentioned so far (Harbaugh, Saban, Urban, Gruden, Cowher...etc). Because it's the one job where you can go in and win in Year 1 and win big within a couple years very quickly.

Last edited:
Everyone is waiting on the Indy job. IF the Indy job comes open (which it probably will) it becomes #1 on every one of these candidates wish list because they have a franchise QB in place.

The Indy job also brings in the other big name candidates not mentioned so far (Harbaugh, Gruden, Cowher...etc). Because it's the one job where you can go in and win in Year 1 and win big within a couple years very quickly.
I tend to agree though I wonder how much luck, Luck has left in the tank.

Also the D will need immediate addressing and you need to find a back to help shoulder some of the load.

Yeah this is the third straight year of "Doug Marrone getting interest!"

The Indy job also brings in the other big name candidates not mentioned so far (Harbaugh, Gruden, Cowher...etc). Because it's the one job where you can go in and win in Year 1 and win big within a couple years very quickly.

I don't see Cowher getting back into coaching at this point. I'm not sure I see Gruden going back either.

I tend to agree though I wonder how much luck, Luck has left in the tank.

Also the D will need immediate addressing and you need to find a back to help shoulder some of the load.

Taking a team with a franchise QB from 8 wins to 10 wins can happen overnight. Then you are off to the races. Any new head coach and GM in Indy should spend 1 draft on nothing but o-linemen and d-linemen. In that division you will probably win it in year 1 or be fighting for a wild card spot at worse.

Colts are loaded with WR's and skill position talent, they just have no beef up front. The Phillip Dorsett pick in Rd 1 two years ago was one of the worst draft picks in a long time. The Trent Richardson trade also was a waste of a 1st round pick. If the new HC/GM just draft linemen (either side of the ball) and spend any cap space more linemen and linebackers that team can and will be good overnight. It's the best job in the NFL if it comes open which it probably will

I don't see Cowher getting back into coaching at this point. I'm not sure I see Gruden going back either.

I don't either, but if there was a job they would consider it would have to involve a franchise QB which would probably have them sit and meet with Indy if Indy came calling. That's a job you think about for a minute and not just blow off the phone call.

Here's the thing. You have an aging Brees and holes all over

The Saints are not a good job right now

For a guy that's aging he lead the league in yards and finished third in touchdowns.

For a guy that's aging he lead the league in yards and finished third in touchdowns.
New Orleans finished with 469 points in the regular season.

Only the Falcons scored more.

Doug Marrone in LA would be awful.

New Orleans would be great for him. Or the Titans if they were dumb enough to do something.
marrone is better than mularkey