Marrone To Be Named HC At JAX

Discussion in 'Syracuse Football Board' started by Bill Orange, Jan 9, 2017.

1. cusefan88

cusefan88 2nd String

Could be they think with Coughlin in the front it brings some sort of stability/authority to the whole organization. Who the hell knows. JAX is irrelevant but has some decent talent.

2. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

no one cares about the difference between 6,7,8, and 9* wins.

Scooch likes this.
  3. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

what are your thoughts about pegula

4. djorange1989

djorange1989 All Conference

The problem with Doug is we don't know how he will do in a job longer term, because at his two HC stops he left pretty quickly each time. He is the kind of coach who wears on his players, so it will be interesting to see how he does the next couple of years, and if those go ok, does he stay and how does his control freak personality/discipline resonate when you get to year 3, 4 in the NFL.

5. OttoinGrotto

OttoinGrotto 2016 Iggy Winner

Your starting assumption is that Marrone is a good head coach.

If you're a Jacksonville fan, that's an odd starting assumption. You've had a bad head coach for a while. Wasn't a big secret. Now you tell that fan that all along you had a better head coach, and you gave him the responsibility of coaching the o-line. But really fans, he's better. Let's put aside that as he is better, we maybe could have given him more responsibility. Even though your offense wasn't particularly good, suggesting this better head coach had limited impact in the role you placed him in, fans should expect the team to get better now that he's in charge.

If you believe in Marrone, you'll buy it, not for any logical reason, but because you believe in Marrone.

I think this is a really tough sell to Jacksonville fans. Odd situation. Usually you make a continuity hire when things are going well. Things haven't been going well for Jacksonville.

6. xc84

xc84 Hall of Fame

Based on what I have seen of him as a head coach...not an assistant. I am not buying it for any other reason than I have seen him as a HC and he has improved the teams he as coached. Even with Buffalo, he had freakin Kyle Orton as his best QB and went 9-7. The point is, you cannot say that his team's record with him as an assistant makes him a bad head coach. People said he would never again be a HC because NFL team management think he is not a good head coach. That has been proven flat out wrong here. Jax hired him because they think he is a good one. The only way he can prove your or my assertions (or Jax mgt) is with Jax now going forward. It will take 2-3 years of history. However, I presume if he goes 9-7 in his second year someone will say "but that team didn't even try!"

7. OttoinGrotto

He has a sub .500 record as a HC.:noidea:

I mean, if the best evidence for a Jacksonville fan that this is a good move is that Marrone got Buffalo to 9 and 7, how excited about this should they really be? Granted, fan excitement isn't the measure of whether things are the right choices, but that's a flimsy case, considering that fan also has to put aside doubts about ownership and management that supposedly they had a better guy the last two seasons and they didn't turn to him.

8. xc84

xc84 Hall of Fame

he inherited 2 teams that were way below .500. He improved them both to above .500. :)

Phenomenon likes this.
  9. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Hall of Fame

the only thing jax should be happy about, is that TC is in building.

and if they actually let him work, and hes not there for PR...then everyone should be put on notice that they will start working or be gone.

including the new/old hire coach.

10. OttoinGrotto

Maybe that's what Jacksonville is hiring Marrone to do - get them to .500, and then you go for the coach that takes you to the next level?

Again, from a Jacksonville fan perspective, this has to be unusual.

11. OttoinGrotto

Yeah, if you're a Jacksonville fan, Coughlin on your side has to be what's inspiring confidence right now.

12. xc84

xc84 Hall of Fame

I honestly don't care about Jacksonville fan. He was hired by Jacksonville management, not the fans. I think he is a good coach. So do they (mgt). He improved things at both SU and Buffalo. His records were winning records in his last year's at each. I can't say the improvement would continue but maybe it would have. Now we will find out how good he is but I suspect even a trip to the playoffs after 2 years at Jax would result in you placing credit somewhere other than Marrone.

13. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All Conference

He inherited a team in Buffalo that was 6-10 the previous two years and three of the previous four years, and led them to a much improved record of...6-10. The improvement the next year was nice, but it wasn't some magical turnaround that people here want to deify him over.

orangenirvana likes this.
  14. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO Hall of Fame

all failures will be Marrone's fault.

all success' will be Coughlin's doing.

figured I let you know this now...

Scooch, Guy Fawkes and xc84 like this.
  15. xc84

xc84 Hall of Fame

and 9-7 is an improvement over 6-10. I agree. You can't call anything a "turnaround" until you sustain it so not, it can't be categorized as a "turnaround". We do know what happened when Rex took over. Back to losing.

Phenomenon likes this.
  16. xc84

xc84 Hall of Fame

Now all he will need to do is copy/paste this for his posts in 2 years.

17. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All Conference

I hate Rex, so not interested in defending him, but in his first year, he had an 8-8 record, which was essentially the same as Doug's second year, if you factor in the Patriots throwing a game that didn't matter to them. The fall off from Doug to Rex was not dramatic and, in fact, was barely noticeable. The defense got much worse and the offense got much better. They remained essentially a .500 team, just like under Doug.

18. OrangePA

OrangePA All American

Can't wait till the Bills hire Sean McDermott.

19. CousCuse

CousCuse Voice Of Reason

Kahn>Pergula.

20. xc84

xc84 Hall of Fame

Marrone inherited a 6-10 team and left a 9-7 team. Rex inherited a 9-7 team and left a 7-9 team. Small sample size but hard to argue against the fact that Marrone improved the team and Rex's team went backward.

Phenomenon likes this.