Marrone To The Jags... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

says the guy who all but guaranteed the jets job was locked up and marrone had made the best decision ever...what is his salary as OL coach at the jaguars next year?
Probably around 4.25M :D

hackett bullough shafer harbaughs belichick sons of coaches, it's not that big a deal
Kiffin, Stoops brothers, Beamer, ...

If that's your personal opinion as a poster and not an Admin - fine. However your opinion has no basis in fact.
What difference could it possibly make to his opinion whether or not he is an admin? Seriously, I would like to know.

This job turned out to be WAYYYYY different than what he signed up for. I know most people won't believe that, but that is the case.

images

He did a good job. If he saved the program he could've handed the keys off to the next guy and the program chugs along. We're 3-9 with no identity and the OC that was rumored to stay is on the sidewalk somewhere now.
I'm curious as to when the statute of limitations runs out in your mind- immediately following his departure we're winning a bowl game and two years out we're a three win team. How long is any coach responsible after he leaves a program?

Marrone needed a recruiter on his staff. It is clear the man hates kissing 18-19 year old a$$. He always a pro mentality during his time as the SU HC. However, he game planed and prepared the team INFINITELY better than lock 'em up in the Dome #hardnosed has done.

If DM were at a place that could recruit for itself he would be a good college coach. We at SU think our program is appealing when in the 21st century we are just a decent program and not an ideal destination. Marrone quit on the program in a tough spot, but I would take him over what we got now. We are dying the death of 1000 paper cuts under #hardnosed football.
I'm willing to take a chance on a head case as long as he's as talented as, say a Bobby Petrino. But Marrone isn't that. He does some good things but he's no innovator.

I'm curious as to when the statute of limitations runs out in your mind- immediately following his departure we're winning a bowl game and two years out we're a three win team. How long is any coach responsible after he leaves a program?
It's not black and white IMO. I think it is less relevant for each year to year 4 after a coach leaves due to recruiting residual.
I don't give Shafer a pass but I think we are still in the mode that will result in taking back steps occasionally like Marrone's 3rd year and Shafer's 2nd. Good years will not necessarily be followed by good years until winning and recruiting take care of themselves.

I'm willing to take a chance on a head case as long as he's as talented as, say a Bobby Petrino. But Marrone isn't that. He does some good things but he's no innovator.
Yeah...and we know Bobby Petrino actually likes "18-19 year old a$$"...in particular volleyball players

The record is what it is. He left when he left and as legend has it he was supposed to leave his offensive coordinator behind. That young guy out on job interviews now.

We have different definitions of "saving the program."

Hackett stayed behind until Gross chose Shafer as HC over him. I don't understand why that falls on Marrone. Hackett wasn't staying after he finished 2nd in the HC decision and frankly I don't know if Shafer wanted him to stay.

Hackett stayed behind until Gross chose Shafer as HC over him. I don't understand why that falls on Marrone. Hackett wasn't staying after he finished 2nd in the HC decision and frankly I don't know if Shafer wanted him to stay.
Exactly Dr. Gross chose Shafer over Hackett. Neither guy had D1 HC experience and Dr. Gross chose Shafer. Hackett was rumored to be getting a raise and stay onboard, but I never blamed him for moving on when the AD chose SS over him and he was getting a promotion as an NFL OC.

I doubt Scott Shafer wanted his closest competition for the SU HC to remain on the staff anyway.

Exactly Dr. Gross chose Shafer over Hackett. Neither guy had D1 HC experience and Dr. Gross chose Shafer. Hackett was rumored to be getting a raise and stay onboard, but I never blamed him for moving on when the AD chose SS over him and he was getting a promotion as an NFL OC.

I doubt Scott Shafer wanted his closest competition for the SU HC to remain on the staff anyway.

Since it was a continuity hire, I would guess that Shafer was told that keeping Hackett was a condition for the job. Until, of course, Hackett was no longer available.

What was Shafer going to do, say no? Not like people were lining up at his door to give him a P5 head coaching job.

Since it was a continuity hire, I would guess that Shafer was told that keeping Hackett was a condition for the job. Until, of course, Hackett was no longer available.

What was Shafer going to do, say no? Not like people were lining up at his door to give him a P5 head coaching job.
Based on offensive production these past two years. I would say Dr. Gross chose

This board was divided on whom to select between Shafer and Hackett. If Gross told Shafer that Hackett was part of taking the job and Hackett wasn't 100% on board with that I blame Gross. I highly doubt Hackett had no idea getting a Buffalo offer wouldn't happen. Marrone probably let Hackett go for the SU job and when Gross chose Shafer gave him an offer to be the Buffalo OC after missing some targets.

Gross chose Shafer over Hackett that is on Gross if it doesn't work out this year.

Gross chose Shafer over Hackett that is on Gross if it doesn't work out this year.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but my expectation is that after this season, Gross is going to know that he's 1 for 3 in football coach hires.

If only this was baseball...

It's like when Gross was AD at the University of Louisiana and chose DC Jerry Reed as head coach over OC Henry Winkler. "If you don't hand me those plays, it's gonna get awfully physical around here."

winkler.jpg

I would take Marrone back as the HC of SU in a cocaine heartbeat over what we have now. I was harsh on Marrone but he was a coach who prepared our team well every week.
He would make a great OL coach that is for sure.

As I always tell folks who come to me for job advice when they are unhappy in their jobs: It is much easier to get a new job when you HAVE a job. No matter how unhappy you are, stick it out in your current job because your job search will be that much easier. Fairly or unfairly, people without jobs are frequently looked upon as "damaged goods."
Quite right.

Anyone spinning this as a positive is kidding themselves
Tend to agree, but if buffalo wasn't ofeering an extension worth more than 4MM he had to do it. Otherwise he just gave up money. He knows he will be a HC again...they're all retreads

KaiserUEO said:
yeah, but they was-ah card tricks...
I just love that gailey is a coordinator and Marrone is an ol coach. I wish gailey could've picked dcs as well as Marrone

According to Fred Pagac (Bills former LB coach) Marrone was not offered an extension.

Those extension reports likely came from Marrone's agent to make him look more attractive as a candidate. Until it backfired and made him look like a disloyal jackass who can't see jobs through.

This makes me feel better about Pegula. Marrone had a helluva lot more to prove before earning rewards.

According to Fred Pagac (Bills former LB coach) Marrone was not offered an extension.

Those extension reports likely came from Marrone's agent to make him look more attractive as a candidate. Until it backfired and made him look like a disloyal jackass who can't see jobs through.

This makes me feel better about Pegula. Marrone had a helluva lot more to prove before earning rewards.

On what planet does your attempt at logic actually make sense? You have been KILLING Marrone for turning down the extension and now he's the jerk who planted the rumor. If Pegula didn't want to extend Marrone and put his guy in it makes perfect sense for Marrone to cut bait now and take the $4 mil and make a clean break instead of the whole dead man walking routine. Why waste either parties time if this is in fact how it played out?

I'm no expert but I believe pensions are taxed differently than other kinds of income.

I work in NY and live in CT and, believe me, I am taxed on my NY income. Heavily.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I thought all pro athletes paid taxes in the all of the states that they played that year as that was considered where they earned their income. So if you are a coach for the Jags, but play games in NY, TX, TN, IN, MA, LA and MD, then you pay taxes in those states. Looking at this years schedule, I find it interesting that the Jags play the Bills in London.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom