Marrone | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone

Capt. Tuttle said:
You mean when we could have had Tom Penders for BBall?

:)

I think you might be allowing a dislike for Marrone to cloud your opinion on this. What he and his agent did was pure genius from a negotiating standpoint. I disagree with your statement that all coaches are lame ducks…..all coaches can be fired, but if you still have years left on your contract, you get paid. Other coaches will now try to get this kind of language in their contracts…I think it will be called a "Marrone Clause"!
They won't get it- that was a one off because Ralph had one foot in the grave and no self respecting coach would have taken the job without some downside protection. Marrone is coaching in Cleveland without that clause-

Love him or hate him…Doug and his agent negotiated an unprecedented contract(I can't name another deal like this)..He had the option to walk out of the contract…With Pay. How smart was that? He protected Doug. Teams protect themselves. About time Labor wins one versus ownership! I hope he gets another head coaching job this year…and another 5 million dollars…..Go Doug.
Not too many teams have a 96-year-old owner. That clause was a logical one to ask for in that circumstance. The Bills had to do something like that to get anyone to take that job.

I think you might be allowing a dislike for Marrone to cloud your opinion on this. What he and his agent did was pure genius from a negotiating standpoint. I disagree with your statement that all coaches are lame ducks…..all coaches can be fired, but if you still have years left on your contract, you get paid. Other coaches will now try to get this kind of language in their contracts…I think it will be called a "Marrone Clause"!
The clause existed not because Marrone and his agent are geniuses but because the owner was practically on his death bed at the time Marrone was hired. That's pretty rare. But if you'd rather chalk it up to Marrone's brilliance knock yourself out. I'm sure your theory could get a retweet from Shefter.

orangenirvana said:
Mort and Shefter were doing nothing but singing Marrone's praises. They were either duped by Marrone's agent or lying intentionally for their own gain (I think Shefter and Marrone have the same agent).
Think about how embarrassing the ray rice story was for Peter king. They parrot what people tell them and people use them . If you're not a reliable parrot you dont get anything from them

orangenirvana said:
The clause existed not because Marrone and his agent are geniuses but because the owner was practically on his death bed at the time Marrone was hired. That's pretty rare. But if you'd rather chalk it up to Marrone's brilliance knock yourself out. I'm sure your theory could get a retweet from Shefter.
The stupidity of the front office is the other half of that deal. It's like not wanting to be a part of a club that would have me as a member. Marrone ended up disliking the people he knew were dunces for even signing that before day one

What's ironic about that is that the smear campaign was motivated because he had a positive relationship with a bunch of people in the NY media.

Wait...some NYC press went to smear because others were so positive?

Did Cous Cous guest post for you? C'mon, man...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom