Marvin Harrison is in HOF class 2016! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marvin Harrison is in HOF class 2016!

IF it happens I will be the first one here to say I am wrong. I don't run, never do.

And I won't be pissed, in fact I hope I am wrong. I want more SU guys to get in, but in reality McNabb is NOT an NFL HOF QB. He just isn't. He wasn't even one of the best 3 QB's of his era.

Not sure Kelly was one of the best 3 of his era. Montana, Marino, and Elway. Maybe Moon and Aikman too.

This is a team sport. Kelly played on better teams. Bruce, Thurman, and Reed are all hall of famers.
QB's are judged on wins/losses, performances in big games, and championships, is it a team sport...sure. But when it comes to HOF voting voters just look at the bottom line. You can say its unfair but that's how they vote.

Not sure Kelly was one of the best 3 of his era. Montana, Marino, and Elway. Maybe Moon and Aikman too.
But he WON a lot and made history (granted not a championship but he won.) Only QB in NFL history to lead a team to 4 straight super bowls. That's history!!! That matters!

IF it happens I will be the first one here to say I am wrong. I don't run, never do.

And I won't be pissed, in fact I hope I am wrong. I want more SU guys to get in, but in reality McNabb is NOT an NFL HOF QB. He just isn't. He wasn't even one of the best 3 QB's of his era.
Brady
Manning
? Warner?

So three HOF guys ahead of him, including two of the all time greatest

And don't say Vick

You are comparing 4 to 1? Really? What is Kelly's record in Conference Championship Games? Wanna do that head to head with McNabb? That's what separates the greats from the good. Kelly won more conference titles and got to more Super Bowls than McNabb. Kelly had more "big" moments in big games. McNabb always came up short.

And Kelly played in the era where the rules weren't tilted towards the QB and it was easy to rack up big stats.
No, I was comparing a loss to other losses. Poor choice of evaluative criteria on your part.

QB's are judged on wins/losses, performances in big games, and championships, is it a team sport...sure. But when it comes to HOF voting voters just look at the bottom line. You can say its unfair but that's how they vote.

But he WON a lot and made history (granted not a championship but he won.) Only QB in NFL history to lead a team to 4 straight super bowls. That's history!!! That matters!

I'm not saying Kelly doesn't deserve to be in. In my opinion he belongs. I'm just applying your statements about McNabb (not a top 3 QB of his era and didn't win the big one) to Kelly too.

Brady
Manning
? Warner?

So three HOF guys ahead of him, including two of the all time greatest

And don't say Vick

I can't take anything away from Warner, but I think mcnabb was better than him. Give McNabb a prime Faulk, Bruce, Holt, and Pace...my God. Or even a prime Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I'm not saying Kelly doesn't deserve to be in. In my opinion he belongs. I'm just applying your statements about McNabb (not a top 3 QB of his era and didn't win the big one) to Kelly too.
That is debatable, I think Kelly is better than Moon. And behind only Montana and Marino in that era. You can say Kelly is next fighting with Steve Young Aikman when it comes to that era for 3rd. Aikman has the rings but Emmitt was the heart of that offense with the o-line. Young didn't do it as long as Kelly did but he won once. Moon never won anything of consequence ever.

When it comes to McNabb he is behind a lot of great QB's in his era and he never stood out and lost a lot of big games and always came up short. McNabb was a good QB. Good QB's don't get into the HOF. Ask Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason!

And Kurt Warner since he came up. Went to 3 Super Bowls. Won one. Lost won when the Pats probably cheated from all reports. Then the last one he left the field late in the game with the lead and his defense let him down. Warner I have higher than McNabb by a spot or two

He won, won what? AFC Chips? McNabb went to 5 NFC Chips, was 1-4. Other than that, McNabb is on par or better in just about every category.

You talk about McNabb puking, Kelly folded like a cheap suit constantly. How many games did he get carried off the field? His backup has the most memorable win of the two.

Statistically, McNabb didn't play in that much different of an era, only 2 years separated them. Those rules didn't come into play until at the very least the tail end of McNabb's career.

If the only other difference is 3 more Conf. Chips, I don't see how it's so cut and dry.
McNabb's rushing ability and ranks should be commended as well.

Both were great in their own way, in their own time.

Started at wingback with Floyd at HB and Czonk at FB. Guess that's why he decided to coach! Seriously how cool will it be to have had 3 HOFers in the same backfield. Too lazy to do the research but I have to think we're the only program that can say that.

Stern said:
That is debatable, I think Kelly is better than Moon. And behind only Montana and Marino in that era. You can say Kelly is next fighting with Steve Young Aikman when it comes to that era for 3rd. Aikman has the rings but Emmitt was the heart of that offense with the o-line. Young didn't do it as long as Kelly did but he won once. Moon never won anything of consequence ever. When it comes to McNabb he is behind a lot of great QB's in his era and he never stood out and lost a lot of big games and always came up short. McNabb was a good QB. Good QB's don't get into the HOF. Ask Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason! And Kurt Warner since he came up. Went to 3 Super Bowls. Won one. Lost won when the Pats probably cheated from all reports. Then the last one he left the field late in the game with the lead and his defense let him down. Warner I have higher than McNabb by a spot or two

You're all over the board with your criteria. Winning matters but you dismiss Aikman because he had Smith. You say winning matters but include Marino who won nothing. You keep changing your argument to fit your opinion.

I think Morten A needs to go first.

Well, Gary did retire as the NFL's alltime leading scorer. Then Morten came out of retirement to pass him.

That is debatable, I think Kelly is better than Moon. And behind only Montana and Marino in that era. You can say Kelly is next fighting with Steve Young Aikman when it comes to that era for 3rd. Aikman has the rings but Emmitt was the heart of that offense with the o-line. Young didn't do it as long as Kelly did but he won once. Moon never won anything of consequence ever.

When it comes to McNabb he is behind a lot of great QB's in his era and he never stood out and lost a lot of big games and always came up short. McNabb was a good QB. Good QB's don't get into the HOF. Ask Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason!

And Kurt Warner since he came up. Went to 3 Super Bowls. Won one. Lost won when the Pats probably cheated from all reports. Then the last one he left the field late in the game with the lead and his defense let him down. Warner I have higher than McNabb by a spot or two
Never stood out? There's a solid 3-5 year stretch where he was considered the most dangerous QB in the league. First QB to ever have 30 plus TD's and 10 or less Int's in a season. All while being a considerable rushing threat.

Prior to Vick's entrance, McNabb was considered the premier dual threat.

Don't forget about Drew Brees. Do you consider Eli and Ben part of McNabb's era?
1999-2009?

Brees Big Ben Eli Rivers etc are different era

McNabb was with Manning. Brady. Favre. Warner. Vick

Kelly had Marino Elway Simms Moon Esiason Cunningham Montana

I'd say there are currently four unique possibilities for Alums out there remaining.

Coughlin
Freeney
McNabb

Anderson

I would say two more for sure, one is borderline, and one is long shot at best

If Emmit Smith and Troy Aikman were asked I think Moose gets a lot more support too. Tough to quantify what he meant to those teams and the role he played in that offense.

You're all over the board with your criteria. Winning matters but you dismiss Aikman because he had Smith. You say winning matters but include Marino who won nothing. You keep changing your argument to fit your opinion.

Not really, very simple to follow. I never said Aikman wasn't a HOF QB. He belongs in the HOF. But when ranking QB's of that era if I needed someone to pass the ball down the field under 2 minutes to go to win a game, give me Kelly over Aikman. That's why I have Kelly ahead of Aikman in his era but BOTH are HOF QB's at the end of the day and both are all time greats and its splitting hairs which one you rank higher. You can make a legit case either way, but at the end both are HOF players.

McNabb wasn't a HOF QB and not a top QB in his era. The criteria is the same.

1999-2009?

Brees Big Ben Eli Rivers etc are different era

McNabb was with Manning. Brady. Favre. Warner.

Kelly had Marino Elway Simms Moon Esiason Cunningham
Where do Aikman and young fall?

Stern said:
Not really, very simple to follow. I never said Aikman wasn't a HOF QB. He belongs in the HOF. But when ranking QB's of that era if I needed someone to pass the ball down the field under 2 minutes to go to win a game, give me Kelly over Aikman. That's why I have Kelly ahead of Aikman in his era but BOTH are HOF QB's at the end of the day and both are all time greats and its splitting hairs which one you rank higher. You can make a legit case either way, but at the end both are HOF players. McNabb wasn't a HOF QB and not a top QB in his era. The criteria is the same.

No you didn't use the same criteria, but never mind.

Marvin NEVER did not say 'Syracuse' during televised introductions.

Unlike other more loved former players.

As for freeney, we have a 10 page discussion on him on here somewhere.

TC might get in next year.

Who didnt say Syracuse on televised interview?

I would say Coughlin and Anderson are the most likely in that order - Freeney next, McNabb last. And I'm a huge Donovan fan.

You seem to be rooting hard against it for some reason. He wouldnt seem to have a great chance, but he's got more of a chance than you think he does IMO. He was one of the best QBs in the league for a decade. If we're doing the Jim Kelly thing...McNabb certainly didn't have a Thurman or a Reed(two hall of famers) to play with. He carried that offense by himself in many of those seasons.

i love the bills and reed is 1 of my all time favorites.

but reed getting in over harrison was a joke.

also... havent seen his name listed but Moose will have an outside shot as well.

Which would be ironic, because I believe the only current FB in the HOF is our Larry Csonka.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom