Marvin Harrison is in HOF class 2016! | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marvin Harrison is in HOF class 2016!

That is debatable, I think Kelly is better than Moon. And behind only Montana and Marino in that era. You can say Kelly is next fighting with Steve Young Aikman when it comes to that era for 3rd. Aikman has the rings but Emmitt was the heart of that offense with the o-line. Young didn't do it as long as Kelly did but he won once. Moon never won anything of consequence ever.

When it comes to McNabb he is behind a lot of great QB's in his era and he never stood out and lost a lot of big games and always came up short. McNabb was a good QB. Good QB's don't get into the HOF. Ask Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason!

And Kurt Warner since he came up. Went to 3 Super Bowls. Won one. Lost won when the Pats probably cheated from all reports. Then the last one he left the field late in the game with the lead and his defense let him down. Warner I have higher than McNabb by a spot or two

What about Elway? Montana, Marino, Elway aren't even debatable as far as being better than Kelly, IMO.

Young was too IMO. Did it for shorter time...because he was on the same team as arguably the best QB of all time for years.

Aikman/Moon are debatale, but you don't seem to be consistent in your takes with them...Aikman, even though he won, wasn't better because he had more help(debatable, by the way). Moon didn't win so he wasn't better.

McNabb has better numbers and individual accolades than Simms and Boomer...because he was a better player than them.

Kurt Warner had more help than any of these guys...4 Rams teammates who are or will be in the HOF on his side of the ball.

Not really, very simple to follow. I never said Aikman wasn't a HOF QB. He belongs in the HOF. But when ranking QB's of that era if I needed someone to pass the ball down the field under 2 minutes to go to win a game, give me Kelly over Aikman. That's why I have Kelly ahead of Aikman in his era but BOTH are HOF QB's at the end of the day and both are all time greats and its splitting hairs which one you rank higher. You can make a legit case either way, but at the end both are HOF players.

McNabb wasn't a HOF QB and not a top QB in his era. The criteria is the same.
No doubt one of the best QBs of his era who did more with less than any QB except Tom Brady. Dude, you have an axe to grind with McNabb for some reason and it's obvious. You don't need to talk about it. We understand but your arguments are silly.

No doubt one of the best QBs of his era who did more with less than any QB except Tom Brady. Dude, you have an axe to grind with McNabb for some reason and it's obvious. You don't need to talk about it. We understand but your arguments are silly.

We named a bunch of QB's from a previous era as "the best" of their time...Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Aikman, Kelly, Moon...

McNabb was certainly in the top 7 QB's of his era.

You're all over the board with your criteria. Winning matters but you dismiss Aikman because he had Smith. You say winning matters but include Marino who won nothing. You keep changing your argument to fit your opinion.
Apparently winning matters until you're in the Super Bowl. They basically have the same playoff record but somehow going 0-4 in the Super Bowl is more impressive.

Apparently winning matters until you're in the Super Bowl. They basically have the same playoff record but somehow going 0-4 in the Super Bowl is more impressive.

because 4-0 in the afc championship is better than 1-3 in NFC Champ.

I have no issues with mcnabb - but Kelly is a HOF'er no question.

I think the point is Getting to 4 SB's and losing > Getting to 1 SB and losing, other things equal.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. Just trying to clarify the point that was being made.

Without, again, getting into this...for I've laid it out before...next to Canton from syracuse we got

TC.

And that's it for a while.

Freeney will likely get in, but he's gonna wait.

Greene getting in was key, there was no reason for him to not be in.

Then a quick count gives 8 guys with more sacks and ALOT more tackles than freeney, 9 if you count Mathis who he has 1.5 more sacks than and a lot less tackles too.

Anderson has a shot, but they will need to make some voting changes to be sure.

I remember McNabb...decent QB...philly legend...why is he in this discussion???

Last edited:
Unless Dwight Freeney (50/50) or Donovan McNabb (less than that) make it, this could be the last for a good while.

Great for Marvin - hope he comes back to Syracuse and gets the recognition he deserves.
Freeney and 5 are bothe going to make it. I think freeney is way better than a coin flip.

Marvin, of course, no shows the Awards Banquet when they're all announced.

Only 1 not there.

Will he go to Canton in August...
He's an absolute odd duck.

Charles Woodson on Harrison:

"Marvin Harrison was the best receiver I played against, especially being a young player and just learning the game at this level.

He was already at a high level, and the job was made even more difficult because it seemed like every time we played the Colts it was in Indianapolis, where they played on turf -- that old AstroTurf. I hated playing on that. The Colts were fast on it, and Marvin had everything: He was bigger than you would think from watching him on film, and he was fast and quick and ran great routes.

I never was one of those guys who was going to lose sleep thinking about a matchup, but I did understand that it was going to be one of those days when I was playing him. Really, he was the only guy that I thought of like that."

He's an absolute odd duck.
Total.

But, I really don't blame him for yesterday's no show.

To go all the way out there...and then NOT get in..I bet would be humiliating to him.

He'll be there in August, but it will be interesting for sure.

Pre-game just had a shot of Marvin and Peyton on the field. Marvin was smiling and patting Peyton on the shoulder pads. Didn't look like the sullen Marvin we are all used to.

Pre-game just had a shot of Marvin and Peyton on the field. Marvin was smiling and patting Peyton on the shoulder pads. Didn't look like the sullen Marvin we are all used to.

Was just ready to post this. I have never seen him smile so big. Knowing Marvin he is probably out there more for Manning's likely final game then for his HOF moment

I wish he'd had a few more productive seasons at the end of his career. He crapped out with Redskins / Vikings.
That's a new one. Professional player crapps out at the end of their career. Maybe that's why the call it the end.

And Marvin and Floyd are sitting together in a box. Deborah posted pictures of them!! Floyd is bringing him back into the fold!!

Was that Marvin who came up to congratulate Peyton at the end of the game?

Not silly at all. I can take the emotion out of it. I can be an SU fan and still be realistic that McNabb won't ever sniff the HOF.

I was honest with my take on Harrison, he got screwed the past 2 years and should have been in 2 years ago. Coughlin is a HOF lock. Freeney probably gets in now that Kevin Greene is in and just has to wait on Jason Taylor to get in before he will. But McNabb is not HOF caliber. If you want to believe otherwise enjoy getting your hopes up every year and then being dissapointed the next 15 years when he doesn't get in.

Him throwing up is perhaps the most overrated thing about his entire career. It does. Not. Matter.
To many people (non-SU fans/non-Eagles fans) that's all they remember him for. He never had a signature win his entire NFL career or that "big moment" during his playing days that gets replayed over and over again and is always remembered.

McNabb belongs in the College Football Hall of Fame, just not the NFL one