Matt Park DUI in Clemson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park DUI in Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't they typically bring you into the station to give you a formal breathalyzer for the record? And that's at the time of booking? I don't think they can go off what you blow at the scene (I said what, not who).

Not that I'm speaking from experience.

Ok, I am. There, I said it. But that was a lifetime ago, so maybe I'm wrong.
what = lifetime ago
who = lunch break

Football weekend in a small town, could be backed up.

Could be they dump everybody in the station lock up and book when admin types come in in the morning.

I think you have to be booked before they can drop you in lock up... but maybe not. I feel bad making assumptions on something I have no business making assumptions on. I hope this all works out for Matt. Seems like a stand up dude.

And again, I'm only assuming.. Wouldnt he be partying in the hotel bar? That's always my policy on work trips. Can't get pulled over walking to the elevator.

With a 7pm kick off, would he need to be at the stadium that early tho?
It's not walking to the elevator, it's once you get inside the elevator, then the trouble begins...:rolling:

It's too bad this happened. Lapse in judgment, but barely over the limit and apparently no accident or damage. He still has my support.

Don't know the laws in SC, but hopefully this can be reduced to a reckless driving, and he learns from this.

Hair of the Dog kids...hair of the dog.

late night. up early...eggs & bangers with a couple bloodys or mimosas.

go out to pick up some souveniers. take a nap at 11.

go to work at 4.

he probably has this down to a science.

damn, suthern po-po.

They just released the recording of Officer Bubba White arresting Matt Park.

Matt was driving erratically near a large shopping mall about 3:30am. He was pulled over by Officer Bubba and asked where was he driving to?
Matt said "I've lost my Assistant"
The cop asked, "What's he like?"
Matt responded, "Jack Daniels and women with big tits."

I honestly have no clue. I just can't imagine what would take so long. Pulled over, walk the line, blow, hand cuffs, head to the station for booking? Unless they stopped for breakfast lol

Southern hospitality, he got his Waffle House meal prior to booking.

Hair of the Dog kids...hair of the dog.

late night. up early...eggs & bangers with a couple bloodys or mimosas.

go out to pick up some souveniers. take a nap at 11.

go to work at 4.

he probably has this down to a science.

damn, suthern po-po.

I have to say, I admire people who can keep that schedule and then go on the radio and talk/pay attention for 3+ hours.

It's much easier when I can just walk into my office, close my door, do my best George Costanza look busy while rubbing my giant forehead, and drink 7 gallons of Gatorade until I'm hydrated again.

I have to say, I admire people who can keep that schedule and then go on the radio and talk/pay attention for 3+ hours.

It's much easier when I can just walk into my office, close my door, do my best George Costanza look busy while rubbing my giant forehead, and drink 7 gallons of Gatorade until I'm hydrated again.

Spend two weeks up here with me, I'll train you up.

I'm mean, if I took a breathalyzer on at 8am on a Saturday morning... I'm sure I'm blowing hot. Figure, you party from 8pm-2am... You are still going to be feeling it at 8am the next day. Just takes a while to get out of your system. Figure, you have 2 drinks an hour (I'm low balling here) and a shot every now and then .. that's 10 drinks, and say 3 shots. Wouldnt have me hammered, but I'd prolly blow hot the next morning
If I did that I would be unconscious!

Thats unfortunate.

Hope this board knows better than to ever DUI. It truly isn't a good thing.

Wonder what will happen to him?

Frank Maloney was fired after a DUI. But I think Crouthamel, who had been hired more recently than him, wanted to get rid of him anyway and bring in his own man.

Road professions are difficult. You spend time away from your family with companions chosen by your profession, not you. It's easy to get into some bad habits. Matt isn't the first sports announcer to have an incident related to drinking and he won't be the last. Hopefully it's just an incident and his career will resume.

I spent the first six months working in Traffic tribunal court handling a lot of DUI cases. I would never take a breathalyzer test if I stopped. The court has you dead to rights if you take the test. If you don't agree you get booked anyway and they administer the test after you have been booked. Typically that will occur a good hour after you stopped. I was under orders never to dismiss a case where the BAL is over .15 if you refuse the test and have above .08 the DA/AG will be more lenient if it's under .15 and you have no contacts with the law.
The fact Matt only knew blew a .08 means he will likely catch a break assuming he pays the fine, does the AA class he won't get anymore. If he was stopped and declined the breathalyzer and got booked its likely his .08 would have below the legal limit.

Frozen said:
Ironically, "Matt, park" would have been great advice in this situation. I'll show myself out.
I would need to blow a .80 to laugh at that

For the record... I don't know the traffic laws in sc... But in ny if you refuse to blow these days it is an automatic felony and you can't plea down. Typically you will be asked to blow at the traffic stop to gauge your condition after they determined your ability is impaired with field tests. Once you get back to the police office, they will administered a more formal test. This can be good or bad. It all depends on circumstances. Ie. When did u stop drinking. The 2nd most popular time for dwi is in the morning. People come off all night benders and then head to work. The alcohol hasn't had time to clear.

I for one hope he is granted an opportunity to stay. He is good at what he does and one mistake doesn't make a man. He can use his platform and medium to advocate against such transgressions

Ok... Off my soap box. I come at this from many different levels.

For the record... I don't know the traffic laws in sc... But in ny if you refuse to blow these days it is an automatic felony and you can't plea down. Typically you will be asked to blow at the traffic stop to gauge your condition after they determined your ability is impaired with field tests. Once you get back to the police office, they will administered a more formal test. This can be good or bad. It all depends on circumstances. Ie. When did u stop drinking. The 2nd most popular time for dwi is in the morning. People come off all night benders and then head to work. The alcohol hasn't had time to clear.

I for one hope he is granted an opportunity to stay. He is good at what he does and one mistake doesn't make a man. He can use his platform and medium to advocate against such transgressions

Ok... Off my soap box. I come at this from many different levels.
Are you serious? Wow that NY law is extremely punitive. I get public policy would be to get drunk drivers off the road but if declining a breathalyzer is a Felony that is a joke.
It would have made my job a lot easier at traffic tribunal but wow that is rough.

I thought you could get around the automatic charges from refusing the breathalyzer by requesting a blood test. Which buys you some time since they aren't equipped for it on the road. Maybe that's an urban legend though - I've never heard from anyone who actually did it.

Speaking of DWI urban legends: Is the story of someone who crashed his car into a telephone pole, then moved to the passenger seat, buckled in (important), then passed out and slept it off until the cops show up a common one? Supposedly he then plead ignorance about who was driving him home (because he was so drunk) and can't be charged with DWI since he was buckled into the other seat. I recall hearing that a friend's brother did that, which is a classic urban legend setup.

I thought you could get around the automatic charges from refusing the breathalyzer by requesting a blood test. Which buys you some time since they aren't equipped for it on the road. Maybe that's an urban legend though - I've never heard from anyone who actually did it.

Speaking of DWI urban legends: Is the story of someone who crashed his car into a telephone pole, then moved to the passenger seat, buckled in (important), then passed out and slept it off until the cops show up a common one? Supposedly he then plead ignorance about who was driving him home (because he was so drunk) and can't be charged with DWI since he was buckled into the other seat. I recall hearing that a friend's brother did that, which is a classic urban legend setup.

I cant imagine that last one is true.. If you are in a car, and the keys are in it, you can be given a DWI. I had a buddy, stayed at the bar until closing. Went to the parking lot, Started his car (it was -30 degrees, he didnt want to freeze) climbed into the back seat and went to sleep. Cops showed up a few hours later, found him, and arrested him for DWI. Dude knew he was too drunk to drive, and just wanted to sleep it off.

Still fighting it, hope it works out for him. Now, most regulars know that my door is always unlocked, and they can always just walk to my house

Just an FYI... there is no such thing as a breathalyzer at the scene. You blow into a somewhat inconsistent "pre-test" that gives an idea to the road officer where you're at. It could be spot on and it could be way off. You get the real deal at the station.

Matt Park clearly made a lousy decision and he will have to live up to his mistake. I hope it doesn't cost him his job as he is a really nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.