Matthew Moyer | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

I think Jabari Parker is a better comparison.
I'll sign up for Jabari Parker any day, but M&M seems like he plays more above the rim and still has time to grow. I would love to see him grow to CM's size and keep his motor for improving. I think this kid will be an absolute stud at Cuse.

I think Jabari Parker is a better comparison.
On quick first impression--I would say Aaron Gordon.

Re: his recruitment--I wonder if someone tipped off the staff that Ohio State was mis-handling the situation. After all, it's not often that our staff makes a big push on a guy from B1G country, let alone a home town boy from Columbus.

I like the comparison Coach Gmac gave him, that he has a little Hakim Warrick in him. Now if he do what Hakim Warrick did for us I say we found a real nice player.

On quick first impression--I would say Aaron Gordon.

Re: his recruitment--I wonder if someone tipped off the staff that Ohio State was mis-handling the situation. After all, it's not often that our staff makes a big push on a guy from B1G country, let alone a home town boy from Columbus.
Hmmm

I haven't seen this video posted yet...this kid is amazingly well spoken and thoughtful in his responses. He is going to be a great ambassador for Syracuse University in the future!

As far as comparisons, I definitely can see some Melo especially the way he rises up for one handed flushes (makes me think of Melo's dunk in his very first game against Memphis in the Garden). I can see some Kris Joseph in his game as well (which GMac stated) as far as his ability to get out in transition and finish while also handle some. His jumper definitely needs some work and his release needs to get quicker, but his follow through is textbook and the coaches wont have to change to much as far as his shooting arm angle goes because he has a nice 90 degree angle with his shooting arm and elbow, something players like Jerami Grant and Dajuan Coleman lack. Moyer's versatility will be fun to watch!

mark79"Astoundingly well spoken. I am astonished at his poise and maturity for his age. We have something special here."

He has two parents who have taken an interest in how he acts and his education and are both graduates of Ohio State. I wish every child had that privilege.

Great vid. Incredibly well-spoken young man right there. I have to believe that if he blows up in his first two or three years at Cuse he'll end up declaring for the draft early, but if not, it'll be great to have a player with that kind of maturity on the team for four years. Looking forward to it!

Francis and longtimefan have mentioned Aaron Gordon. I can see mix of him and Tobias Harris as others have mentioned as well. Who needs the charlatan recruitniks when you have this board!

The way he plays reminds me a lot like Blake Griffin. Mind you, I'm not suggesting that he is anywhere near that talented, just that --like Griffin--he plays with a nasty streak, is extremely physical, and seems to want to not just make plays but physically punish the opposition while doing so.

If he ends up being 1/10th the player that Griffin is, we've got a good one.

And just to reiterate--I'm not saying that he's Blake Griffin, just that how hard / physical he plays reminds me of Griffin. That excites me. Just based upon our style of play, we don't land too many players like this. With recruiting, we actually might have SEVERAL guys who play hard nosed ball like this--Moyer, Diagne, Roberson, and possibly Bryant. Much needed, IMO.

Last edited:
I know its been a little while but how awesome was Matthew's recruitment? Hey we are watching this kid, he's visiting next week, OSU offers, He loves his visit to SU, SU and Florida have a chance against hometown OSU, he verbals to SU. All of this in about a 10-14 day span. That will cheer you up in the middle of the summer every time.

I just reread the whole thread and relived his short but quite satisfying recruiting period by SU. Hoping for more like this in the future.

Last edited:
I know its been a little while but how awesome was Matthew's recruitment? Hey we are watching this kid, he's visiting next week, OSU offers, He loves his visit to SU, SU and Florida have a chance against hometown OSU, he verbals to SU. All of this in about a 10-14 day span. That will cheer you up in the middle of the summer every time.

I just reread the whole thread and relived his short but quite satisfying recruiting period by SU. Hoping for more like this in the future.
if there was a handbook on how to recruit JB would be the author. the way he wraps classes up so early and is able to start recruiting the following years class is a huge advantage!

This is a bad man.

That last dunk about 1:05 was a thing of beauty.

Also this is going to sound insane, and maybe it's because he's still young, but he doesn't seem like a complete freak athletically like we usually go after. I'm not talking size/strength, but more springy-ness. For a 6'8" guy (with a 7"2 wingspan) he doesn't get that high above the iron.

Plus I would really to see him start to showcase a jump shot over the next two years. Which of course he will, I'm just anxious to see what he will look like when he hits the hill. 2016 should be a huge year for us as long as we don't end up with more than 1, 1 and doner in the 2015 class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom