Matthew Moyer | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

Lol dude lets not get in a debate about who has watched who more or closer to the program. If u guys see a 3 in him than please correct me on it. He needs to get in the weight room. Shouldn't be a debate in it
I definitely don't see a guard. What position do you think he should play?

Lol dude lets not get in a debate about who has watched who more or closer to the program. If u guys see a 3 in him than please correct me on it. He needs to get in the weight room. Shouldn't be a debate in it

Its important to keep in mind that this kid is just beginning his junior year of high school. I wouldn't expect him to be physically developed yet, nor for his skill set to be fully refined. He definitely needs to add strength--but so do 99% of other high school basketball prospects entering their junior years.

For comparison, at the same point in his high school career, Carmelo Anthony was about 6-6 175 pounds. He got to college 6-8 230. In no way am I suggesting that Moyer will gain that much weight. Just pointing out that high school juniors--especially bigs--are rarely finished products athletically. Nor do I want to recruit guys that are. Give me athletes who play hard like Moyer all day over guys who are big and strong but with limited upside. I'm sure that Moyer will get bigger / stronger as a function of being immersed in a collegiate S&C program.

Midnight madness
image.jpg

I definitely don't see a guard. What position do you think he should play?

I don't see guard either but many are saying this kid is a 3 here at cuse and I just don't see it. Have i watched a full game of his in person? Nope but a buddy of mine who i respect his knowledge of the game agrees and has seen him a few times in person. I hope I'm wrong and he fills out or even grows an inch or two and becomes a prototype 4

I don't see guard either but many are saying this kid is a 3 here at cuse and I just don't see it. Have i watched a full game of his in person? Nope but a buddy of mine who i respect his knowledge of the game agrees and has seen him a few times in person. I hope I'm wrong and he fills out or even grows an inch or two and becomes a prototype 4
so you don't think he currently has a position he could play at Cuse?

I really don't understand what you looking at when you say he can't play the 3? He is the perfect forward for JB's system and like Jordoo said he will play the 3 and the 4. I'm sorry but you are just wrong in your assessment. Why would the staff recruit him if they did not like his skill set?

I think Moyer has a lot of upside - great length and nice shooting touch. On the other hand, he does not look fluid and I think his poor athleticism is disguised by his length. Obviously things can change as he is just a high school Junior, but usually players do not improve significantly athletically, but more so skills and strength. The staff has been awfully good at evaluating talent though, so I will be interested to see how he progresses.

I think Moyer has a lot of upside - great length and nice shooting touch. On the other hand, he does not look fluid and I think his poor athleticism is disguised by his length. Obviously things can change as he is just a high school Junior, but usually players do not improve significantly athletically, but more so skills and strength. The staff has been awfully good at evaluating talent though, so I will be interested to see how he progresses.

Poor athleticism? Really? I don't see that when I watch him but either way how athletic do you have to be if you can dunk everything and get above the rim for rebounds then that's good enough. We had this kid named Melo who wasn't the most explosive leaper but he was athletic enough. I do understand the not looking fluid part as you can almost see that he is working new skills into game situations that he has practiced repeatedly. I also think although he seems to have a soft touch on his shot the release is a little slow and starts sort of low though.

Last edited:
Poor athleticism? Really? I don't see that when I watch him but either way how athletic do you have to be if you can dunk everything and get above the rim for rebounds then that's good enough. We had this kid named Melo who wasn't the most explosive leaper but he was athletic enough. I do understand the not looking fluid part as you can almost see that he is working new skills into game situations that he has practiced repeatedly. I also think although he seems to have a soft touch on his shot the release is a little slow and starts sort of low though.

I think he is able to dunk "everything" (albeit in lay up lines and fast breaks) because he is super long. He really seems to take the time to gather himself to elevate, and doesn't seem all that explosive off of one foot. Generally in highlight videos, for a kid of his size, you would see more dunks in the half court set and even a dunk or two through traffic - not seeing this with Moyer and not impressed by his handle at this point. Most likely will play the same position as Lydon - who I am very high on - and who I think has more upside in every facet of the game. Kid will probably have a nice college career, but don't see him as a player having much impact his first few years. Could be wrong, but fun to speculate.

Moyer and Melo in the same breath? C'mon man! Unless you were talking about Fab Melo!

Moyer and Melo in the same breath? C'mon man! Unless you were talking about Fab Melo!

I'm talking about athleticism only and the fact that a player doesn't need to be super explosive to be a great player. Please don't pretend I was comparing their games because I didn't. My point is that you said "poor" and I was countering it. I don't think he has poor athleticism. He's not an elite athlete put plenty of great NBA and college players have also not been elite athletes but they were athletic enough. Plenty of elite athletes also never develop the skills or mentality to be great players. Elite athleticism is not a requirement and not having it doesn't equate to poor athleticism. I still don't see poor athleticism at all with Moyer.

I understand your point - and guess its how you interpret poor (and maybe a poor word choice). I meant that for elite recruits, he is below the mean in that category and leaves something to be desired. I don't really think there are that many great players who aren't very athletic, unless they hold some other significantly above average skill or trait (i.e. 3 point shooting or height). Just consider why Jerami Grant was drafted in the first round - because a lot of basketball minds really value athletic ability, as it certainly wasn't for his jump shot.

Again - the staff does an excellent job of evaluating talent and I'm basing my opinion off some highlight reels - but its what I see. I know its popular to just drool over every recruit but differing opinions should make this more fun - if its any help I really like all 4 players in the class of 2015 (admittedly some more than others!)

PS - I know you weren't comparing him to Melo, but I do think Melo is a great athlete. Great first step and gets off the floor quickly - hence being a great rebounder for his size.

I understand your point - and guess its how you interpret poor (and maybe a poor word choice). I meant that for elite recruits, he is below the mean in that category and leaves something to be desired. I don't really think there are that many great players who aren't very athletic, unless they hold some other significantly above average skill or trait (i.e. 3 point shooting or height). Just consider why Jerami Grant was drafted in the first round - because a lot of basketball minds really value athletic ability, as it certainly wasn't for his jump shot.

Again - the staff does an excellent job of evaluating talent and I'm basing my opinion off some highlight reels - but its what I see. I know its popular to just drool over every recruit but differing opinions should make this more fun - if its any help I really like all 4 players (admittedly some more than others!)

PS - I know you weren't comparing him to Melo, but I do think Melo is a great athlete. Great first step and gets off the floor quickly - hence being a great rebounder for his size.

That was my main disagreement saying he has poor athleticism. Matthew is in 10th grade so obviously he is a work in progress and I would agree he may not have elite jump out at you athleticism but to me he is still above average in that department. Grant as you mentioned was drafted because he has elite athleticism and elite length in the same package still his game needs a lot of work to become a good NBA player.

Melo to me does not and never did have elite athleticism like say a Lebron but he has more than enough of it. As you said great first step and instincts.

Again - the staff does an excellent job of evaluating talent and I'm basing my opinion off some highlight reels - but its what I see. I know its popular to just drool over every recruit but differing opinions should make this more fun - if its any help I really like all 4 players in the class of 2015 (admittedly some more than others!)

But he wasn't and despite his great athleticism, his lack of shooting hurt his stock big time! Should he of had more "skill" he would have gone in the 1st round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom