May take an extra 12 months for this rebuild | Syracusefan.com

May take an extra 12 months for this rebuild

Don

2nd String
Words diretly from Coach Babers mouth over at Syracuse.com. he is so refreshing without being mean spirited, his comments about some of the players recruited here are very good and some are not as good is very eye opening.

By the way this is the ten questions he got asked entitled his dream job and does he bleed Orange over at syracuse.com

I thought he was very candid about the team and his hope for the team and how he hopes some of the fans don't jump ship to early.

Yep. Sobering in the best kind of way. You gotta remember he's used to winning conference championships... I think it's likely we'll see real progress this year, be very pleased the year after, and start to have our idea of what's possible change completely in year three.

In Dino we trust (until the first loss, when the posters who only show up after a loss to vent return. Weather the storm people.)

He's playing everyone. He knows the competition will e tough but he knows deep inside that he has the system to rock the ACC.

My favorite line is the last one;

"But seriously, I want to be a head college football coach at a major institution that has an opportunity to win a national championship. That's my dream job."

If he wins 8 games this year, give him a contract extension. Lock him up now and he will deliver a National Championship

His comments on the former staffs recruiting direction are very revealing

I thought he tempered the comments well in that he pointed out that they were recruiting their system and he recruits his system, the two cannot be reconciled as they have different goals. Not so much that he had no clue what they were doing, nor did they.

I love his quiet confidence.

I remember going into the 2013 season not thinking there would be such a huge drop from Doug to Shafer. Then Penn State happened and we were a world away from the team that beat WVU. But aside from that, the thing that stuck out to me was the disorganization on the sideline.

Win or lose, we have a staff that knows exactly what it wants to accomplish. This is going to be a fun ride.

i dont think the 12 months means as much as it sounds.. I think he is looking for a much higher ceiling than he was at BG and that will take longer to reach than just being a winning team which is goal one. he want to win a ACC title and a NC. that isnt a 2 year process for anyone.

I suspect not being able to tell what the recruiting philosophy was based on the roster is a direct result of our lack of commitment to an offensive style.

His comments on the former staffs recruiting direction are very revealing

The former staff actually recruited ok. Problem is, this tampa 2 is a gimmick in the college world and ww dont have the DL depth or secondary skill to run it right off the rip.

What do people expect him to say? These kids are terrible, long road to hoe... Great talent here, watch out ACC! No, neither.

He's made quite a few comments to temper expectations. At the end of the day, he was brought in here to win more, so, win more.

Let me be frank here, I love what I've seen from Dino Babers. He's very well spoken and a proven coach. I LOVE his style of offense, both tempo and scheme. But, I don't buy into all the media lip service to build a buffer around early struggles.

Win.

Ish88888 said:
The former staff actually recruited ok. Problem is, this tampa 2 is a gimmick in the college world and ww dont have the DL depth or secondary skill to run it right off the rip.

People called Briles system a college gimmick too.

Good coaches with good players can make any scheme formidable enough. Remember he adopted it after getting destroyed by the Tampa 2 in the FCS playoffs...

Finwad32 said:
What do people expect him to say? These kids are terrible, long road to hoe... Great talent here, watch out ACC! No, neither. He's made quite a few comments to temper expectations. At the end of the day, he was brought in here to win more, so, win more. Let me be frank here, I love what I've seen from Dino Babers. He's very well spoken and a proven coach. I LOVE his style of offense, both tempo and scheme. But, I don't buy into all the media lip service to build a buffer around early struggles. Win.

I think both expectations are not mutually exclusive: win now and it's going to take some time to get us where he wants to go.

He's playing everyone. He knows the competition will e tough but he knows deep inside that he has the system to rock the ACC.

My favorite line is the last one;

"But seriously, I want to be a head college football coach at a major institution that has an opportunity to win a national championship. That's my dream job."

If he wins 8 games this year, give him a contract extension. Lock him up now and he will deliver a National Championship
"I think too many times people believe the solution to problems is money. You know, if you give people enough money, they'll come some place. I came here and I took less money to do it. I could have gone to other places where I could have had more money. But I wanted to be here."

Some of those questioners sound like they came straight off this board.

"Why don't you just sit there and bleed a while before you taste some real pain."

"Shut your face, hippie."

"I'll put my life takers, heart breakers, up against anyone at any place at any time."

Promising. Though of course I'm in the tank for the classic Eric Taylor.

Yep. Sobering in the best kind of way. You gotta remember he's used to winning conference championships... I think it's likely we'll see real progress this year, be very pleased the year after, and start to have our idea of what's possible change completely in year three.

In Dino we trust (until the first loss, when the posters who only show up after a loss to vent return. Weather the storm people.)

There's also another subset of fans lurking out there. The ones who prefer meathead football and are waiting to pounce on this offense if it struggles out the gate.

Oh, I am so, so, so sick of these endless questions:

Where's your dream job?

Do you bleed Orange or just coach Orange?

Are you looking to leave soon?

Man, just neurotic. I mean, do we WANT the coach to continue to think about leaving?? Maybe make him think twice about staying, then??

Keep sounding like a schoolgirl who needs constant assurance of her identity and security

After awhile I'd be like, "Yes! I'm leaving! I can't handle you tugging on my shirt anymore and pestering me with your questions. Get some self-esteem!"

He kind of sidestepped my question (#2), suggesting there are things that he needs but doesn't quite have yet. Instead he talked about wanting players who really want to be here, which might give us a clue as to what happened with Gabe Sherrod. It does sound as if this is his destination job but that he feels the reconstruction job will take at least three years. I wonder if the people who think we are going to score 50 points a game right off can handle that?

Words diretly from Coach Babers mouth over at Syracuse.com. he is so refreshing without being mean spirited, his comments about some of the players recruited here are very good and some are not as good is very eye opening.

By the way this is the ten questions he got asked entitled his dream job and does he bleed Orange over at syracuse.com

I thought he was very candid about the team and his hope for the team and how he hopes some of the fans don't jump ship to early.

This guy is unbelievably frank in his comments. Really shocking for a football coach. It's kind of surprising that someone with his attitude closes practice.

I'm not sure that kind of frankness is always the best strategy. It's a brave strategy for sure. Let's see if his players respond to it.

He kind of sidestepped my question (#2), suggesting there are things that he needs but doesn't quite have yet. Instead he talked about wanting players who really want to be here, which might give us a clue as to what happened with Gabe Sherrod. It does sound as if this is his destination job but that he feels the reconstruction job will take at least three years. I wonder if the people who think we are going to score 50 points a game right off can handle that?

He's found out how hard it is to recruit kids here. We all love this program but I'll never forget what Coach Mac used to say. The best kids have to pass by a lot of good schools before they make it up here. Every staff we've had has had to recalibrate once they got here. We can have success. We have had success but it's always going to be a grind in recruiting.

IMO there is a good chance the season will be a disappointment from a W-L perspective, but we will score points. It will be different football and very frustrating on defense. We will lose differently, but we will scare the hell out of a few people.

By the time Tommy Gun plays we will be a whole different team. Can't wait.

Maybe it's just me but that seemed like just another repackaging of answers he has been giving all along. Babers is excellent at handling interviews and answering questions. Hopefully he is as good at turning a program around.

SWC75 said:

I don't think anyone is predicting that out of the gate (actually we probably could/should vs Colgate). But in general - I think people have had realistic expectations based on the past results of this system and this group of offensive players.

Shafer recruited differently than Marrone for sure, there are some huge gaps that need to be filled, I for one am sick of talking about 3 year rebuilds, etc. Lets get 6-7 wins year 1 and keep moving from there, I don't think we should win less than 5 games, I just don't. I think Dino has higher aspirations than 95% of most fans in Syracuse, is it achievable? I don't know and that to me is what will ultimately decide how long he stays, the new AD should help, winning will help with attendance, but he is going to need to draw much better talent to get to 10-12 win type seasons, MUCH better talent. I can see him getting to 8-9 win seasons and getting frustrated that he cant get better talent up here but who knows.

When Dino says 3 years he is thinking 9-10 wins, when fans here 3 years we have been so beaten down we are thinking 7 wins and a bowl!

IthacaBarrel said:
Shafer recruited differently than Marrone for sure, there are some huge gaps that need to be filled, I for one am sick of talking about 3 year rebuilds, etc. Lets get 6-7 wins year 1 and keep moving from there, I don't think we should win less than 5 games, I just don't. I think Dino has higher aspirations than 95% of most fans in Syracuse, is it achievable? I don't know and that to me is what will ultimately decide how long he stays, the new AD should help, winning will help with attendance, but he is going to need to draw much better talent to get to 10-12 win type seasons, MUCH better talent. I can see him getting to 8-9 win seasons and getting frustrated that he cant get better talent up here but who knows. When Dino says 3 years he is thinking 9-10 wins, when fans here 3 years we have been so beaten down we are thinking 7 wins and a bowl!

Yep. That's huge. It really exposes the ceilings we put on this team as fans. We think "he said it may take 3 years to get to 7 wins" but he's aiming for conference championships and beyond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom