MBBRules Committee proposes changes related to timeouts. | Syracusefan.com

MBBRules Committee proposes changes related to timeouts.

Alsacs

Living Legend
CFEHMCzUIAMcNgZ.jpg

Also it looks like the shot clock will be reduced to 30.

Love the timeout changes. 5 to 4, great. Calling near media timeout becomes the media timeout, great.

So much of the potential end of game drama gets ruined when each team has 3 timeouts left. Just ends up taking forever.

Also physicality is being changed.
CFEIXSTUgAAajSb.jpg

VERY happy to see this topic being reemphasized. Two years ago, when the NCAA first tried to clean up basketbrawl, they didn't stick with it for very long and the refs slipped back into familiar officiating patterns by the end of November. We'll see how committed they are to these changes this time around.

All you have to do is look at the quality of play in the NBA before and after they recoginzed that having games devolve into scrums was bad for the brand and for the fan experience.

Technically these are all still proposals right? I'm in favor of many of these. I'm hoping the coaches don't revolt and get their timeouts back.

VERY happy to see this topic being reemphasized. Two years ago, when the NCAA first tried to clean up basketbrawl, they didn't stick with it for very long and the refs slipped back into familiar officiating patterns by the end of November. We'll see how committed they are to these changes this time around.

All you have to do is look at the quality of play in the NBA before and after they recoginzed that having games devolve into scrums was bad for the brand and for the fan experience.

The NBA fan experience is not great now, though. I'm not against cleaning up the college game, but I think it's safe to say the NBA went overboard.

I LOVE seeing this:

“The committee has taken significant steps to reverse the trends in the sport that are concerning to the men’s college basketball world,” said committee chair andBelmont coach Rick Byrd. “We have spent the past year collecting data, opinions and considering proposals that will help our game. Our anticipation is that dedicated officiating enforcement, along with this package of changes, will help balance the offense and defense in our game.”

Just curious, would you prefer...

media timeouts every 5 min opposed to every 4 minutes and keep timeouts the same

Or...

Keep media timeouts every 4 minutes and decrease timeouts per the new rule proposal?

Keeping things the same, there would be 1 more full timeout per team in place of a 30 second timeout keeping valuable (required) commercial time for advertisements. I think this would be a way to keep the flow of the game. Maybe the new timeout proposal will do this but I believe a stoppage every 4 minutes is just too much and kills the flow of the game.

NCAA March Madness ‏@marchmadness 1m1 minute ago
Other #MBBRules proposals include eliminating coach-called live ball timeouts and 10 second backcourt timer will not reset with timeout.

Love the elimination of the coach-called timeout. Hate the reset of the 10 second backcourt count. If you have to burn a timeout to avoid the violation, that is penalty/reward enough.

Why change the hanging on the rim technical? Was there a big groundswell of support calling for this change? Who care?

Love the elimination of the coach-called timeout. Hate the reset of the 10 second backcourt count. If you have to burn a timeout to avoid the violation, that is penalty/reward enough.

Why change the hanging on the rim technical? Was there a big groundswell of support calling for this change? Who care?
If they are going to go with a strict 10 seconds to get over the time line, why not go with the international rule where the clock on an offensive rebound gets set to 20 seconds not 30 because the ball doesn't have come up court?

Don't like the elimination of the 5 second defensive rule nor the 6 foul thing. I can see where that's going.

How will TV respond to losing a minimum of 2 commercial breaks per half in addition to losing others when a TO is called within 30 secs of a TV TO?

Cuse_1999 said:
How will TV respond to losing a minimum of 2 commercial breaks per half in addition to losing others when a TO is called within 30 secs of a TV TO?

I was wondering that as well. There was never a guarantee that all time outs would be used, so were sponsors paying for the game and that is why there is repetition throughout a game? If so, things from the advertising standpoint can move forward virtually unchanged.

Nothing being discussed regarding taking TO's to avoid a 10 second call then allowing that team after the TO getting another 10 seconds to get across half court?

Nothing being discussed regarding taking TO's to avoid a 10 second call then allowing that team after the TO getting another 10 seconds to get across half court?

It's in there somewhere...

ANYTHING to reduce the number of timeouts is great by me. College basketball has grown tedious to watch on the screen and agonizing to watch in person. Worse, at the Dome we are forced to watch commercials during time outs, which completely sucks the life out of the fans. Yes, we can get back into the frenzy if that's where we were when we left off, but most of the time commercials have a dwindling effect. To paraphrase Coach, dwindling anything is never good.

nothing says any of the non media to's have to be called anyway. and teams always had the option of not taking the fill time anyway.

CFEHMCzUIAMcNgZ.jpg

Also it looks like the shot clock will be reduced to 30.

I think there are three big issues with college basketball that are making it harder and harder to enjoy games.

1) Too many players are going pro too early. It would be one thing if the majority of them made the NBA and became rich and successful. History tells a much darker story. I understand arguments about civil liberties and freedom to make a living, but if you care about the players and what will happen to them years down the road, I think a compromise needs to be reached where if players want to play college ball, they will be ineligible to play pro ball for their first two seasons post high school.

2) There are too many timeouts. This makes it really hard to watch games, especially when you attend in person, where seemingly every time things get exciting and the crowd is going nuts, a timeout is called. And the timeout lasts 5 minutes. Completely drains the excitement, ruins the atmosphere. This has to be changed.

The proposed changes aren't nearly enough but it is a start.

3) IMHO, the worst problem in college basketball today is the way teams are allowed to play defense. The clutching and grabbing, the holding and bumping, all the things that are forcing offenses to stagnant and turn a beautiful game into a ugly rock fight. I can't believe there wasn't a strong attempt to stop this kind of play. I can't believe that there is actually talk of adding a 6th foul.

The stewarts of college basketball have failed the game and are a disgrace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom