McCullough in Jordan Brand Classic | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough in Jordan Brand Classic

I don't think they are going to go 14-17. but this team is anywhere near the teams we have had the past few seasons. We do have a hof coach, but where is the offense coming from?

If that means we can be a 7 or 8 seed and make it to the National Championship, count me in!

its a selfish, allstar game hes not in a team lineup yet. He was also the only big on the floor, would have like to see him out there with cliff alexander or some beef for a few minutes. Only saw it in 1 play, but I was impressed with his dribble he can keep the ball low and seems to have a good handle/crossover.
While it is a selfish all star game, you can tell which guys are offensive dominant players. That is not CMc. When he was in he was very content to stand out on the perimeter and watch others score. He is not at all aggressive. He is not a strong rebounder. Played the same way in the Elite 24 game. Don't expect a whole lot of offense from him next year. He is not an alpha dog. More the type of guy with good but raw athleticism that can develop over time. He is not a 1-and-done.

Woah, it was a all star game people...a showcase for ball hogs. McCullough got a couple early whistles and that was basically it. From all reports, he was great in practice and has picked up his game since enrollment at IMG. Long ways till next season...relax people

We should be recruiting better for an elite team.

Do you truly believe what you are saying?

2014 - Ennis/Grant
2013 - MCW 11th pick
2012 - Waiters 4th pick; Fab Melo 22nd pick
2011 - none
2010 - Wes 4th pick
2009 - Flynn 6th pick

We've had some pretty good players come through of late. We are not an Elite recruiter, but we certainly hold our own in that next tier just under programs like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and UNC

For those that don't remember, Ennis was a stud in this game last year.

McCullough has a loooooooooong way to go.

CMc has been listed at 6'10 220, 6'9 230, and 6'9 210 in three different articles this week. Sure didn't look like 230 tonight so I guess he's somewhere between the other two.

This was my first time seeing him other than highlight clips. He is very impressive physically and just with the 'eye-test' he stood out in this game, which says something. Seemed bigger than I expected. I don't get any of this tweener stuff. IMO he looks like a legit pf and I'm talking at the nba level. For what it's worth, he definitely didn't strike me as a high motor type player. No doubt he has a ton of potential. I could see him being an absolute force but I doubt it happens as a freshman.

dundundun said:
This was my first time seeing him other than highlight clips. He is very impressive physically and just with the 'eye-test' he stood out in this game, which says something. Seemed bigger than I expected. I don't get any of this tweener stuff. IMO he looks like a legit pf and I'm talking at the nba level. For what it's worth, he definitely didn't strike me as a high motor type player. No doubt he has a ton of potential. I could see him being an absolute force but I doubt it happens as a freshman.

I never get the tweener thing anyways. In today's NBA there are line ups that feature 3's playing the 4, and 4's playing the 5 all the time. The true "tweener" would be players stuck between a 2 and a 3, IMO.

This is what happens when you build up a recruit. People expect him to hit 30 foot j's and dunk from the free throw line and when he doesn't perform the praise goes 180 and now he can't play (hyperbole). Wait to see how Boeheim uses him and how he reacts and until then it's just a best guess.

One thing about this new team in 2014/15...it's going to be step up time and all the guys have a chance to prove what they have. No Fair to get X amount of shots, it's almost a blank slate. I'd have to think Boeheim won't hold back any of them until they sort out who is going to be effective and who is not. The staff is going to have to teach, evaluate and figure out what parts work with each other and they will have their work cut out for them. Kind of reminds me of when Moten was a freshman. Who will seize this moment?

Last edited:
It's tough to judge any player by just one game so let's get real. The tweener comments are ridiculous. He's a big kid, legit 6' 9"! He's very athletic and well put together. Let's have some objectivity.

objectively nobody watching that pageant (won't even call it a game) would vote mccullough as one of the top performers.

This should quell the talk about McCullough being a one-and-done.

You think 15 minutes of playing in an exhibition game that happens 7 months before his first collegiate game will kill his chances of being a 1 and done?

While I don't think he's even remotely ready - or will be at the end of the season next year - that doesn't mean he won't be one-and-done, unfortunately.

I'm hoping for a poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge, was a lanky gazelle back then and did have more of the motor, but, even he was far from polished his freshman year at 10pts/6reb a game. BIG jump in his soph season to 15/10. He really developed the deep range in the pros. Lets hope CMac isn't a guy who is going to want to sit around and float on the perimeter hoisting bombs from deep.

I'm hoping for a poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge, was a lanky gazelle back then and did have more of the motor, but, even he was far from polished his freshman year at 10pts/6reb a game. BIG jump in his soph season to 15/10. He really developed the deep range in the pros. Lets hope CMac isn't a guy who is going to want to sit around and float on the perimeter hoisting bombs from deep.
I know why can't go by last night, but he doesn't seem like the type of player that would do that. We'll see how his motor is and if he'll be willing to rough it in the paint, but he doesn't seem like the type of 6'9 player who think he's a PG.

He looked a bit like Baylors Austin to me. Shying away from getting physical looking to either outjump or outrun his man vs battle it out physically. His overall motor and aggressiveness was similar too. Seems like the type that if he gets going he can get himself into the game and have a big impact. Otherwise he kinda gets lost and floats too much. Robersons progression and whether a leaner DC2 can give us flexibility will be the key.

You think 15 minutes of playing in an exhibition game that happens 7 months before his first collegiate game will kill his chances of being a 1 and done?

That isn't what I said. What I said was, this should dampen all of the talk among the fanbase about him turning pro.

But to specifically answer your question, no--I don't think that 15 minutes in an exhibition game will kill his chances of being a 1 and done. I think his lack of refinement and low post game will kill his chances of being a 1 and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom