McDonald says freshman H-back Cooper could redshirt for 2014 season | Syracusefan.com

McDonald says freshman H-back Cooper could redshirt for 2014 season

Thanks as always OE. I am glad things tend to be going more smoothly. Just spent a week in the ADK's nursing a gma who is recovering form knee surgery and know how major surgery is a slippery slope. Seems like the hard part is behind you!

On the redshirt note, we don't get back to having true "depth" until we can start redshirting a good portion of these kids like we did in the 90's. It has been the reason why we have been so banged up at the end of the season. The jump that kids make between the years of their senior season to freshman year is huge. I remember playing at 185 in HS and being a solid 200 after my freshman year. The frame also fills out more. Once we start getting a good crop of redshirt studs, we will truly be back.

Imagine Estime being redshirted one year. He has already added more size and more speed between his freshman and freshman spring game. That potentially gives us another year with better attributes and less likely to get hurt having better size and strength.

Probably a good move. I was disappointed he wasnt a bigger playmaker in the scrimmage with all the hype around him. i was surprised to see Avant with the first team.

memcorsu said:
Thanks as always OE. I am glad things tend to be going more smoothly. Just spent a week in the ADK's nursing a gma who is recovering form knee surgery and know how major surgery is a slippery slope. Seems like the hard part is behind you! On the redshirt note, we don't get back to having true "depth" until we can start redshirting a good portion of these kids like we did in the 90's. It has been the reason why we have been so banged up at the end of the season. The jump that kids make between the years of their senior season to freshman year is huge. I remember playing at 185 in HS and being a solid 200 after my freshman year. The frame also fills out more. Once we start getting a good crop of redshirt studs, we will truly be back. Imagine Estime being redshirted one year. He has already added more size and more speed between his freshman and freshman spring game. That potentially gives us another year with better attributes and less likely to get hurt having better size and strength.

The best teams play a lot of true freshman. The key isn't red shutting a lot of kids it's to continue improving recruiting and recruiting kids who are better than the depth.

I get my Coreys confused - kinda like Corey Feldman and Corey Haim. Is this the Corey with the 87" vertical?

The ykey is building quality depth. The best teams play freshman, but the best teams also have freak 5 star athletes coming in every year. These are rare kids who have size speed and strength in high school. It usually ends up being WRs, and rarely is it RBs, DBs, QBs and even rarer linemen or LBs.

For us, it would be nice to build depth and stack the competition every year for starting position by red shirting players. It would be nice to be red shirt some kids to let them develop (preferably lineman, LBs and QBs). I'm not real sure that any of the incoming freshman are absolutely vital right now to the team (if howard or williams can play great to provide depth at DB. If Slayton's in great shape maybe he can give us some depth at DE). Otherwise, as excited as we've been about this class, i think it would be advantageous to have everyone else learn the play book, get up to college speed and work on size speed and strength. But i guess well see what the kids look like when they show up in August.

The best teams play a lot of true freshman. The key isn't red shutting a lot of kids it's to continue improving recruiting and recruiting kids who are better than the depth.

You must be typing from your phone...( red shutting)
I agree...every class we need 3-6 can't keep off the field kids as True Freshmen...but we need to get away from playing more than that.

I get my Coreys confused - kinda like Corey Feldman and Corey Haim. Is this the Corey with the 87" vertical?

Cooper was the bigger recruit (ended up going to prep school). Winfield was the kid who dunks basketballs and shafer has been excited about his vertical. Winfield seemed to have a bigger role in the spring game and was targeted more.

Edit: Cooper was in the Army All American Game

Last edited:
I agree...every class we need 3-6 can't keep off the field kids as True Freshmen...but we need to get away from playing more than that.

I suck typing on the phone and the auto correct. Need to start profe reiding.

Winfield been here longer, knows the playbook. He has a unique style that I think the staff likes. He brings versatility and athleticism to the slot position, like Brisley. Cooper needs to get more comfortable with the playbook. He seems to be more like possession slot WR. Type of kid that will hold on to the ball after a good hit from a LB or Safety.

C. Cooper is thick and can run.

I like him a lot.

I thought he had some very solid moments yesterday.

I could see him playing next fall.

Easy.

Doctor44 said:
The ykey is building quality depth. The best teams play freshman, but the best teams also have freak 5 star athletes coming in every year. These are rare kids who have size speed and strength in high school. It usually ends up being WRs, and rarely is it RBs, DBs, QBs and even rarer linemen or LBs. For us, it would be nice to build depth and stack the competition every year for starting position by red shirting players. It would be nice to be red shirt some kids to let them develop (preferably lineman, LBs and QBs). I'm not real sure that any of the incoming freshman are absolutely vital right now to the team (if howard or williams can play great to provide depth at DB. If Slayton's in great shape maybe he can give us some depth at DE). Otherwise, as excited as we've been about this class, i think it would be advantageous to have everyone else learn the play book, get up to college speed and work on size speed and strength. But i guess well see what the kids look like when they show up in August.

We are going to need a few Freshman LBers to play. I actually can see Franklin, Moskal, and Thomas all playing. Same with Dowels. Other then that maybe just 1 wr like Ishmael . Your usually going to need 4-7 true freshman to play each year, and that's look like it will happen this yesr

TexanMark said:

Yes balance

I like Cooper as well, I can see him having a nice future on the hill.

If SU can have a freshman that the defense can't stop or and defensive player the offense can't stop then they HAVE to play. Depth and talent will determine their snaps/redshirt. I'd love to have a freshman come in at DT and just blow this whole thing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom