Media Day 2015 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Media Day 2015

Jesse Dougherty ‏@dougherty_jesse
Boeheim on Dajuan: "Obviously if you don't play in 2 years you're going to be a little rusty. He's rusty." But said he's playing every day.

Boeheim on Malachi and Tyler Lydon: "I think they're advance for freshmen... I think they're ready to play right away as freshmen."

Boeheim on Gbinije as point guard: "I really haven't decided who is going to start." Not committing either way.

Boeheim added that Gbinije will probably still play the one, two or three. Said it wouldn't be a reach for him to start, though.

Boeheim: "We have to improve our offense. We really have to improve our offensive performance." Said that includes 3-point %.

Boeheim: Kaleb Joseph improving his shooting has been the "biggest surprise at this stage."

Boeheim on having 7-2 Paschal Chukwu: "It's good to have a 7-2 guy there to play against every day... I think he helped Dajuan..."

Boeheim on 7-2 Paschal Chukwu: "He's going to benefit from a redshirt year more than any player I've ever had." Adds he has to get stronger.

Boeheim on last year: "There's no correlation to how many games you win and what kind of difficulties you have."

Boeheim says last year's team just "wasn't that good." Added it should have lost 3 of first 4 ACC games. Said there was too many weaknesses.

Boeheim more on Joseph: "Made the biggest offensive improvement physically than anyone I can remember." Says he's gained 16 pounds.

Boeheim has been extremely complimentary of Joseph. Said he thinks he was in a near "impossible" situation for him as a freshman.

Boeheim on shooting more 3s: "Supposedly these teams we are playing are better than us, so how do we beat them." Says 3s could be a way.

Boeheim: "Paschal (Chukwu) will be one of the premier shot blockers in college basketball."

Boeheim on the nine games he could potentially miss: "If you have a good system and a good plan, there aren't a lot of changes that happen."

Boeheim on 9 games: "It will be difficult because you can't talk to the players, I think that's crazy, but you can't talk to the players,"

Boeheim on guards playing a lot of minutes last year: "If you're in college and you can't play 38-40 minutes, you're not in good shape."

Boeheim: "There will be lineups where we have four guys in at the same time who can shoot threes... We'll have a lot of different lineups."

Boeheim: "Tyler Lydon is the biggest guy and he'll play (center) if we play a three-forward lineup." How often that happens is "TBD."

Boeheim on starting the season earlier: "I think they truly want to do it because they don't want basketball infringing on (NCAA) football."
Question on your last quote: Should it read starting "later" rather than "earlier"?

OrangeXtreme are these tweets that you're posting? They used to always show up for me but for some reason aren't anymore. Is there something I need to do for them to show up?

In the far bottom left corner of the screen (in the blue band), you'll see what "style" you're currently in.

Mobile
A&O
NA.

Try all three to see which one works best.

Just click on it and change it.

Thanks for posting these. JB says a bunch of crap for various reasons so you have to wonder how true any particular statement is, but there are some interesting answers in there. Hope everything about KJ is true - sounds to me like he starts.

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball
Donna Ditota ‏@DonnaDitota1
Boeheim on three frosh. They’ll play. Only 9 guys.

Boeheim on Frank Howard: I think he's capable of playing as a freshman. He's probably our best creative passer.

Boeheim said he'd have no problem starting Malachi Richardson or Tyler Lydon and having them play big minutes.

Jim Boeheim said he hasn't decided yet whether Mike Gbinije will start at PG. He'll play some SF, too.

Boeheim said Kaleb Joseph "is much improved."

Boeheim: The biggest thing we have to do is we have to improve our offense. That was our biggest problem last year.

Boeheim said whether or not his team can make a significant volume of 3s could determine how good a team Syracuse can be.

Boeheim: Paschal Chukwu will benefit from a redshirt year probably more than any other player we've had. Needs to get stronger.

Boeheim: we just didn't have a very good team last year. Chris went down, we had a freshman PG, a sophomore at forward (Roberson).

Boeheim said the Syracuse staff never expected to lose Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis last year.

Boeheim, asked when he might hear about his NCAA appeal: "I have no idea."

Boeheim said he's "trying not to think about" his 9-game, NCAA-mandated suspension.

Boeheim: the 9 games will be a difficult time, but I know one thing, the team will be ready.

Boeheim on suspension: it will be difficult because you can't talk to the players

Boeheim said Syracuse has more depth in the backcourt this year than last year.

Boeheim on Malachi: He's really a wing player. Gives us another shooter, ball-handler, passer.

Boeheim: Tyler Lydon will be the center of Syracuse goes with a smaller lineup.

Love the part about Howard seeing the passing lanes more creatively then Gbinije and Joseph. That doesn't sound like exact 4mpg talk, or there would be a but or a not ready yet. Neither does we have more depth in the backcourt then last year, and that is including the Malachi is a wing part. :)

Last edited:
I'm really excited for trhe next 2 years. I know we aren't highly regarded right now, but I'm excited for the trio of freshman, Silent G, Roberson and JOseph..leading into the monster class next year. Plus it might be nice to actually not lose anyone unexpectedly to the draft for once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom