Melo just buried Danny Ferry | Syracusefan.com

Melo just buried Danny Ferry

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Agreed.

Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley 32m

#Knicks F Carmelo Anthony on how free agents would look at the Hawks in light of Ferry: "(There) ain't nobody (who) would want to go there."

Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley 23m

Carmelo on Hawks/Ferry: "I’m speaking on behalf of all athletes. We would never look at a situation like that, I don’t care what it is."

Agreed.

Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley 32m

#Knicks F Carmelo Anthony on how free agents would look at the Hawks in light of Ferry: "(There) ain't nobody (who) would want to go there."

Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley 23m

Carmelo on Hawks/Ferry: "I’m speaking on behalf of all athletes. We would never look at a situation like that, I don’t care what it is."

Well, with all due respect to Carmelo, this is what happens when people form opinions based upon salacious sound bytes fed to them by a sensationalist media instead of understanding the full context of the situation.

Well, with all due respect to Carmelo, this is what happens when people form opinions based upon salacious sound bytes fed to them by a sensationalist media instead of understanding the full context of the situation.

>reads a sound byte
>fed to him by the sensationalist media (twitter)
>forms an opinion
>without the full context

Professional sports, esp the NBA and the NFL, are on the verge of imploding. They are descending down the slippery slope of "Watch how I can be more offended than you are". And they are losing the youth, who want to do their own thing - and who can blame them?

>reads a sound byte
>fed to him by the sensationalist media (twitter)
>forms an opinion
>without the full context

Spot on.

Professional sports, esp the NBA and the NFL, are on the verge of imploding. They are descending down the slippery slope of "Watch how I can be more offended than you are". And they are losing the youth, who want to do their own thing - and who can blame them?

The worst part is that its somehow become acceptable for offended parties to demand a pound of flesh to satiate their irritation. Political correctness at its absurd finest.

Really dumb comment by Ferry to make in a professional setting, regardless.

No one is demanding he be fired but Melo is right, what big time African American free agent is going to want to go play for Atlanta if Ferry is still in charge?

Melo's statements, being a mega super star, probably ended Ferry unless Lebron comes to his defense.

**Looks at ratings patterns over last 5-10 years **

LOL. Ok.

No one is demanding he be fired but Melo is right, what big time African American free agent is going to want to go play for Atlanta if Ferry is still in charge?

Melo's statements, being a mega super star, probably ended Ferry unless Lebron comes to his defense.

Why? Because Ferry read something off of a piece of paper that somebody else said in a scouting report?

Honestly, if that is grounds for FAs to boycott, then said FAs are pretty uninformed... which is largely par for the course in today's sound byte driven news society.

...Then races to like a post that says "Professional sports, esp the NBA and the NFL, are on the verge of imploding"

Why? Because Ferry read something off of a piece of paper that somebody else said in a scouting report?

Honestly, if that is grounds for FAs to boycott, then said FAs are pretty uninformed... which is largely par for the course in today's sound byte driven news society.
Which is what he's alluding to. This "probably" wasn't just one mistake. If scouts are writing up reports like that of which Danny Ferry reads on a conference call, it "might" be a little more engrained in that front office than just an isolated incident. After Sterling I doubt any black athletes feel like being described how Luol Deng was described.

Which is what he's alluding to. This "probably" wasn't just one mistake. If scouts are writing up reports like that of which Danny Ferry reads on a conference call, it "might" be a little more engrained in that front office than just an isolated incident. After Sterling I doubt any black athletes feel like being described how Luol Deng was described.

Or it might be the type of info that is pretty much in every scouting report, and not indicative of anything different being done by the Hawks. But now due to hypersensitivity, people are freaking out. No slur was used. He was described as"African." The horror!!!! The scout then used a negative metaphor to describe what "African" meant to him [i.e., that scout]. If anything, Ferry is responsible for exercising poor judgement--nothing more.

I'm tired of this overzealous political correctness run anok.

...Then races to like a post that says "Professional sports, esp the NBA and the NFL, are on the verge of imploding"

...Says the guy who races to cherry pick only one sentence out of the post that I liked. Not that I have to explain myself to you, but here's the part of his post that I liked above:

"They are descending down the slippery slope of "Watch how I can be more offended than you are"."

Which is absolutely, 100% true.

Or it might be the type of info that is pretty much in every scouting report, and not indicative of anything different being done by the Hawks. But now due to hypersensitivity, people are freaking out. No slur was used. He was described as"African." The horror!!!! The scout then used a negative metaphor to describe what "African" meant to him [i.e., that scout]. If anything, Ferry is responsible for exercising poor judgement--nothing more.

I'm tired of this overzealous political correctness run anok.
So this describes Africans?

-- "Although he's played a lot of minutes, if you manage it the right way, he'll be fine. He's still a young guy, overall. He's a good guy overall, but not perfect. He's got some African in him. And I don't consider that in a bad way other than is he's a guy that'll side deal behind you, if that makes sense. Like he has a storefront out front that's beautiful and great, but he may be selling some counterfeit stuff behind you."

Not that I have to explain myself to you, but here's the part of his post that I liked above:

"They are descending down the slippery slope of "Watch how I can be more offended than you are"."

But way to cherry pick one sentence.

Explain the slippery slope that pro sports are heading down. Be specific. Tell us the end result. Otherwise, you are just adding to the noise.

. He was described as"African." The horror!!!! .

Would you mind being called a fat old white guy by your employer?

Just curious...

So this describes Africans?

-- "Although he's played a lot of minutes, if you manage it the right way, he'll be fine. He's still a young guy, overall. He's a good guy overall, but not perfect. He's got some African in him. And I don't consider that in a bad way other than is he's a guy that'll side deal behind you, if that makes sense. Like he has a storefront out front that's beautiful and great, but he may be selling some counterfeit stuff behind you."

Where did I say anything about describing? What I said was that the term used to describe him was "African." Last time I checked, that wasn't a slur.

I also said above--if you'd bothered to read--that the guy used a poor metaphor to explain the attribution he was making about what that meant.

But in terms of offensive terminology--not really.

Where did I say anything about describing? What I said was that the term used to describe him was "African." Last time I checked, that wasn't a slur.

I also said above--if you'd bothered to read--that the guy used a poor metaphor to explain the attribution he was making about what that meant.

But in terms of offensive terminology--not really.
I'm not one to flip out about this stuff but c'mon, that was read out loud in a meeting. Just say he's kinda shady not shady because of having a little African in him.

Explain the slippery slope that pro sports are heading down. Be specific. Tell us the end result. Otherwise, you are just adding to the noise.

The only noise here is this BS you are espousing, putting subterfuge on the broader issue being discussed--that in the contemporary media, sensationalism is being used to take down anyone who is perceived as expressing beliefs that violates covenants of political correctness. There are plenty of recent examples, if you'd been paying attention.

The slippery slope is that the public is now demanding a pound of flesh for even the most inane violations. Paula Deen. That Robertson guy. The Property Brothers. Etc. Etc.

When an outraged Carmelo Anthony indignantly proclaims that no FAs should consider Atlanta because their GM read a scouting report, then things have teetered over the precipice of common sense, down the slippery slope where people now have to have their lives and careers destroyed over minor sh-t.

I'm not one to flip out about this stuff but c'mon, that was read out loud in a meeting. Just say he's kinda shady not shady because of having a little African in him.

Which brings the point I made above full circle--if Ferry is guilty of anything, it's exercising poor judgement reading that aloud in a meeting. But should he be fired for it? For reading something in poor taste that he didn't even write, but wasn't overtly racist? C'mon.

Maybe a better question is: how did that make it into a scouting report? Why wasn't it screened / changed / revised by someone in the hawks front office before it made it to that meeting? Are the hawks scouts racist, or is this type of description pretty much standard par for the course? In which case, this flap is over nothing.

But in terms of Ferry being tarred and feathered? Nah. Much ado about NOTHING. This is indicative of a hyper sensitive culture that is now pre-conditioned to overreact to anything that could be construed as racial.

Which harkens back to my point above--if Ferry is guilty of anything, it's exercising poor judgement reading that in a meeting. He shouldn't be stoned to death over reading something that isn't really even that bad, just because the scout who wrote it made a clumsy analogy that was in poor taste but wasn't directly racist.

Maybe a better question is: how did that make it into a scouting report? Why wasn't it screened / changed / revised?

But in terms of Ferry being tarred and feathered? Nah. Much ado about NOTHING. This is indicative of a hyper sensitive culture that is now pre-conditioned to overreact to anything that could be construed as racial.
I actually agree that Ferry shouldn't be fired BUT its a business and Melo is right that no big time free agents will go there after this (not that any went there anyway).

The only noise here is this BS you are espousing, putting subterfuge on the broader issue being discussed--that in the contemporary media, sensationalism is being used to take down anyone who is perceived as expressing beliefs that violates covenants of political correctness. There are plenty of recent examples, if you'd been paying attention.

The slippery slope is that the public is now demanding a pound of flesh for even the most inane violations. Paula Deen. That Robertson guy. The Property Brothers. Etc. Etc.

When an outraged Carmelo Anthony indignantly proclaims that no FAs should consider Atlanta because their GM read a scouting report, then things have teetered over the precipice of common sense, down the slippery slope where people now have to have their lives and careers destroyed over minor sh-t.

Agreed...so you won't mind when your employeer calls you fat white trash with no consequences. 100%, Glad we agree.

Would you mind being called a fat old white guy by your employer?

Just curious...

No, but that's because I'm not fat or old. But I wouldn't then have a temper tantrum about it in the media or overreact to it as being racially charged.