Melo just buried Danny Ferry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo just buried Danny Ferry

Agreed...so you won't mind when your employeer calls you fat white trash with no consequences. 100%, Glad we agree.

Now you are just being a pr-ck. Congrats for trying to take turn this personal.

That's a sign that you've lost the debate.

If Ferry thought it was offensive, he wouldn't have read it to an audience. Since he read it, he must not have found it offensive. Therefore he has the same thought process.

Now you are just being a . But congrats for trying to take turn this personal.

That's a sign that you've lost the debate.

Not at all. I don't know you, sir. I wasn't suggesting the employer was talking to "you". I have no clue if you are even white.
I was saying would you be offended if your employer would suggest something based on your ethnicity. I think Deng (and Melo) are allowed to have an opinion.

No one is saying FA can't go to Atlanta. Hell, lace up those shoes and YOU can go play for them.

Not at all. I don't know you, sir. I wasn't suggesting the employer was talking to "you". I have no clue if you are even white.
I was saying would you be offended if your employer would suggest something based on your ethnicity. I think Deng (and Melo) are allowed to have an opinion.

No one is saying FA can't go to Atlanta. Hell, lace up those shoes and YOU can go play for them.

And yet you repeatedly felt compelled to use the generally accepted pejorative term "fat" in two posts when referring to me, while also making racial allusions about me being white, white trash, etc.

Deng and Melo are certainly entitled to their opinion. The same way that I've entitled to the opinion I've now formed about your mentality after this exchange.

No, but that's because I'm not fat or old. But I wouldn't then have a temper tantrum about it in the media or overreact to it as being racially charged.

How often do you do interviews in the media about your job, sir?

How often do you do interviews in the media about your job, sir?

Actually, I do media interviews with a fair amount of frequency as a function of my firm / the nature of the work I do.

Which is probably not what you'd expect from a fat white trash employee, right sir?

And yet you repeatedly felt compelled to use the generally accepted pejorative term "fat" in two posts when referring to me, while also making racial allusions about me being white, white trash, etc.

Deng and Melo are certainly entitled to their opinion. The same way that I've entitled to the opinion I've now formed about your mentality after this exchange.

So you have an issue of me (An anonymous message board poster) suggesting your employer might be call you fat white trash...yet you can't understand why Deng and other black players would have an issue with what an NBA GM, who directly affects their income, would include racial stereotypes about

Think about that.

I'll leave it there. We can agree to disagree, Not sure why you are allowed to call me a . I thought there was terms of service on this board. Oh well...

So you have an issue of me (An anonymous message board poster) suggesting your employer might be call you fat white trash...yet you can't understand why Deng and other black players would have an issue with what an NBA GM, who directly affects their income, would include racial stereotypes about

Think about that.

I'll leave it there. We can agree to disagree, Not sure why you are allowed to call me a . I thought there was terms of service on this board. Oh well...

You can't possibly be this dense. I refuse to believe it. But just in case: to dispel this comparison, I take issue with you repeatedly referring to me in that way, and then trying to pass it off as a hypothetical from my employer--not because I'm offended by the description as a racial epithet, but because you are doing it in a thinly veiled attempt to personally insult me due to the fact that I don't share your opinion. If the scout had called Deng "fat" because he was out of shape or had a problem with conditioning, that's a far different thing that calling him "fat" for the sake of trying to be incendiary, even though both usages could be construed as offensive.

The admins can feel free to penalize me for what I say above if they see fit. I'm fairly certain that my response will stand given your inflammatory intent.

Last edited:
You can't possibly be this dense. I refuse to believe it. But just in case: I take issue with you repeatedly referring to me in that way, and then trying to pass it off as a hypothetical from my employer--not because I'm offended by the description as a racially sensitive epithet, but because you are doing it in a thinly veiled attempt to personally insult me because I don't share your opinion.

The admins can feel free to penalize me for what I say above if they see fit. I'm fairly certain that my response will stand given your inflammatory intent.

I legitimately apologize if it bothered you. I was being provocative to prove a point, not to insult.

Perhaps no players will go to Atlanta if Danny Ferry & co. are in charge.
But the NBA is the height of hypocrisy.

Hawks owner Levinsohn is essentially pressured to fall on his sword.
But I defy Adam Silver or David Stern to read aloud Jay-Z lyrics and then explain to the world why he was not only permitted to become a minority owner (albeit a fraction of a percent) of the Nets but also used as a major marketing tool.
(From Bloomberg Businessweek:
“He is it,” Bruce Ratner, the real-estate developer behind the Barclay’s Arena, told the New York Times. “He is us. He is how people are going to see that place.”)

And now Jay-Z represents athletes?
Players who may object to hateful "racist" language?
Please.

Yes, yes. I know...Jay's an artist.

OK...let's pick a couple of songs at random from the period when he was a Nets owner.
(I've added the censorship dashes)

Here's a bit of "Do You Wanna Ride" from 2006:
This one also includes a marijuana reference:

"Guru, I don't usually do this but
Roll me up son man
Let me get mellow on this s--t right here
Uh-huh, yeah
Uh-huh, white paper though ni--a
Can't even -k with those blunts
White paper baby, old school ni--a gimme a joint
Smooth it out, Young H.O..."

And this little gem from his American Gangster disc:

"Success"

(feat. Nas)

[Jay-Z:]
"I got these ni--as breezy, don't worry about it
Let that bi-ch breathe!
I used to give a -k, now I give a -k less..."

I'm only surprised there's no "ho" reference so the NBA can take pride in he way he describes women.
But I picked these at random.

I know, I know. Jay's an artist.
Or maybe I just don't understand rap and hip hop.

But c'mon Adam Silver...read just one song out loud.

The next big time free agent to go to Atlanta would be the 1st one.

The rest will simply follow the money.

Deng is originally from Africa, then England and then New Jersey, if I remember correctly. So, it isn't exactly the same thing as if he said this about an African American born an raised here, right? While not the smartest thing to say, and certainly not PC, it has it's logic, albeit twisted and likely unjust, as Deng seems to be a very bright man and not like he came directly from some third world country.

They (the owners) should have pressured Levenson to stay on and then get rid of Ferry.

Has everyone even seen the context of the comments that has raised all of this? Eman77ster posted below a report that purports to be the scouting report that has caused the stir.

If that is actually it, I don't see what all of the discussion is about, nor do I understand why Danny Ferry would fall on his sword and accept any sort of punishment in connection with this - - other than in an attempt to quell the PC lynch mob before it gets too much more out of hand.

First, the comments contained in the report are probably in bad taste, but I am not convinced that they are clearly racist.

Second, if you read the entire portion of the report and the comments in their context, they appear like they may have been made by a Cleveland Front Office person, not an Atlanta Scout. The speaker talks about his ("Deng's) physical condition when we got him. Also says "I would have no problem bringing him back."

Third, the way the report is set up, it appears to be reporting what others have said. Whoever made those comments doesn't appear to be involved at all in drafting the report or assembling the information that is reflected there. In other words they don't appear to be the words of someone in the Hawks organization, unless they hired someone from the Cavs front office.

Am I missing something here??

The fact that this type of analysis was in a hawks scouting report, explains in part, why they've been such a miserable franchise.

So you can refer to players as having a bit of African in them but don't you dare call Ennis Voodoo because that is offensive.

Has everyone even seen the context of the comments that has raised all of this? Eman77ster posted below a report that purports to be the scouting report that has caused the stir.

If that is actually it, I don't see what all of the discussion is about, nor do I understand why Danny Ferry would fall on his sword and accept any sort of punishment in connection with this - - other than in an attempt to quell the PC lynch mob before it gets too much more out of hand.

First, the comments contained in the report are probably in bad taste, but I am not convinced that they are clearly racist.

Second, if you read the entire portion of the report and the comments in their context, they appear like they may have been made by a Cleveland Front Office person, not an Atlanta Scout. The speaker talks about his ("Deng's) physical condition when we got him. Also says "I would have no problem bringing him back."

Third, the way the report is set up, it appears to be reporting what others have said. Whoever made those comments doesn't appear to be involved at all in drafting the report or assembling the information that is reflected there. In other words they don't appear to be the words of someone in the Hawks organization, unless they hired someone from the Cavs front office.

Am I missing something here??

Agree 100%.

The fact that this type of analysis was in a hawks scouting report, explains in part, why they've been such a miserable franchise.
It was a Cleveland scouting report. Don't know how the Hawks had it, though.

It was a Cleveland scouting report. Don't know how the Hawks had it, though.

Probably Danny Ferry. He was with the Cavs a few yrs ago.

It starts at the top. Read the full text of Atlanta Hawks owner Bruce Levenson's offensive e-mail:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/atlanta-hawks-bruce-levenson-full-email
Let me start by saying I've lived in the North and the South. I don't believe I have any prejudices except for disliking Georgetown.
Is what is written in this e-mail called "uncomfortable truths"? I don't see anything malicious about what was said. What if you traded the words white and black in the verbage. Would it be racist then? I'm not saying there is no racism in its meanest form used elsewhere in our society, but this is not one of those. The word "racism" is a word where political correctness has gone over the top.

"he's got a little black in him" "he's got a little Jew in him"

much better

Let me start by saying I've lived in the North and the South. I don't believe I have any prejudices except for disliking Georgetown.
Is what is written in this e-mail called "uncomfortable truths"? I don't see anything malicious about what was said. What if you traded the words white and black in the verbage. Would it be racist then? I'm not saying there is no racism in its meanest form used elsewhere in our society, but this is not one of those. The word "racism" is a word where political correctness has gone over the top.

FWIW, Kareem Abdul-Jabaar seems to agree with you:

http://time.com/3296175/bruce-levenson-atlanta-hawks-racist-email-kareem-abdul-jabbar/

Last edited:
I actually agree that Ferry shouldn't be fired BUT its a business and Melo is right that no big time free agents will go there after this (not that any went there anyway).
Bull crap. if they pay more two dollars more than another team, a free agent will go there.

Bull crap. if they pay more two dollars more than another team, a free agent will go there.
I said big time free agents. Hawks haven't gotten any in a while anyway but they're def not getting them now.