Melo Moaning.... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo Moaning....

Madbiker said:
IMO Melo is way over reacting. The only immediate game changers in the draft were the 3 guys who were already off the board when the Knicks picked fourth. Nobody after that is a first year impact player. Who did Melo want? Winslow? He plays the same position. Unless the NYK got Towns or Okafor or maybe Russell, it was always going to be up to signing a few free agents to remake the team. That can still happen. With a couple of nice signings the Knicks can contend for a #7-8 playoff spot in the East. If that doesn't happen then he has more of a case for feeling let down. Right now Melo needs to pipe down because he just looks like a spoiled a--. What he really wanted was to sign for the extra $50 million AND go to a contender... which wasn't possible. He chose what was most important to him...the money. So now get on board with the rebuild. If he tries to force his way out for a second time, he will only cement a very unfavorable legacy for himself. And i'm a HUGE Melo fan and love the guy.

You're focusing on the draft only. When he resigned it was with the promise money would be spent in free agency to get another star and other players to improve the roster. What I am saying about this draft specifically is that they drafted for the future. They admitted he might be 2 years away. That's kicking the can further down the road.

carmelo was a great syracuse player. perhaps the best. pretty much brought us our only N.C.
his decisions since leaving his frosh season for the nba may be open to question. sadly bad $$$ choices haven't set him up for even a sniff of a ring. legacy. time to think about what's important.

You're focusing on the draft only. When he resigned it was with the promise money would be spent in free agency to get another star and other players to improve the roster. What I am saying about this draft specifically is that they drafted for the future. They admitted he might be 2 years away. That's kicking the can further down the road.
I get your point about FA. That can still happen. As for the draft, once the lottery put them fourth and the 3 impact players were all off the board, it had to be about the future there wasn't any option. I 'm sure up until the lottery Phil thought they would pick either #1 or 2 and get an impact player. Didn't happen so the selection strategy had to change.

The chatter is that Melo did not approve of the Knicks taking Porzingus. Pretty clearly Porzingus had the most upside of anybody available to the Knicks @ #4. Yes, he wasn't the most ready or the safest pick at that slot, but the draft is all about upside. Phil did a nice job in getting Grant for Hardaway later in the first round.

As for Melo, he could have landed on a contender last summer, but opted for the big $$$ - surprise, surprise. Next, the Knicks were a team that maybe should have been a playoff team at the beginning of last season, but it wasn't happening. Melo just couldn't get it done with the cast that was on hand. That put Phil in a position where he pretty much had to tear it down and start at ground zero. Some of the reports are saying that Melo felt betrayed by all of this. There just weren't enough pieces or talent on hand for Phil to build a winner around Melo, at least not after the ill advised Chandler trade.

If those reports are true, maybe it is time for him to leave NY. I think Melo needs to decide if he wants to be a part of what will be a tedious rebuilding process in the Big Apple or not. If the latter, I think Phil would accommodate moving Melo on if he received any semblence of fair value in return.

I am both a Knick and a Melo fan. Obviously, I would love to see the Knicks re-build a contending winning franchise with Melo as the centerpiece. However, it might be best for Melo to go somewhere where he can contend & for the Knicks to accumulate some young talent in return.

I haven't read the full post or the replies, but Melo clearly did not sign with the Knicks for the money. He would have gotten a max contract anywhere he went, no question. He signed with the Knicks because he liked New York and he actually cost himself money by signing such a long contract. He did this because Phil Jackson convinced Melo that he would make moves immediately to build a championship team.

Drafting this foreign kid who probably won't be ready until the final year of Melo's contract and trading away Melo's protege - Hardaway - for Grant does not seem to be in line with what Phil promised Melo. Not cool in my book. It also doesn't look like the Knicks are currently making the free agents moves they need to make either. I heard rumors about David West. Seriously, that's the guy they want?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a diehard Knicks fan who truly loves Melo, he needs to calm down. He signed the biggest deal he had on the table because it was best for him and his family (admitted). Phil may have "sold" him a bill of goods, but Melo knew that was a big risk. He gambled and will STILL be paid, but winning a championship will be difficult.

At the end of the day, he needs to step up and be the leader of this very young group. They will likely be ungood in 2015-16, but have a chance to be competitive in '16-17.

Love the Jerian trade as long as they can negotiate for a legit 2 guard.

It wasn't the best deal on the table, if memory serves me correctly. He was going to get paid no matter where he went. He would have actually been better served to sign a shorter term deal.

carmelo was a great syracuse player. perhaps the best. pretty much brought us our only N.C.
his decisions since leaving his frosh season for the nba may be open to question. sadly bad $$$ choices haven't set him up for even a sniff of a ring. legacy. time to think about what's important.

I haven't seen him make a move based primarily on money yet in his career.

Hearing chatter on the Knicks boards of them signing either Danny Green, Monta Ellis or Demarre Carrol at SG and going after one of Marc Gasol (long shot), Deandre Jordan or Greg Monroe at C.

Not sure if they can beat Cleveland in a 7 game series but a starting lineup of Grant-Ellis-Melo-Porzingis-Jordan has some serious potential. Plug in any of those guys at SG and C and Melo may have himself something to work with by the time the season starts.

I would take all these reports with a huge grain of salt.

Frank Isola is loathed by the Knicks and Stephen A is a mouth piece.

I doubt the true story is coming from either of these guys.

It really doesn't matter what Melo feels now. It's what happens when KP steps on the court, what FA they get and if Fish can become something other than a zombie on the sidelines.

Brooky03 said:
I haven't read the full post or the replies, but Melo clearly did not sign with the Knicks for the money. He would have gotten a max contract anywhere he went, no question. He signed with the Knicks because he liked New York and he actually cost himself money by signing such a long contract. He did this because Phil Jackson convinced Melo that he would make moves immediately to build a championship team. Drafting this foreign kid who probably won't be ready until the final year of Melo's contract and trading away Melo's protege - Hardaway - for Grant does not seem to be in line with what Phil promised Melo. Not cool in my book. It also doesn't look like the Knicks are currently making the free agents moves they need to make either. I heard rumors about David West. Seriously, that's the guy they want?

I know Melo posted a nice message to tim on IG but let's not forget this:

Http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...armelo-anthony-heart-team-discord-sources-say

They had a view moments on the court where they were not fans of each other.

I haven't seen him make a move based primarily on money yet in his career.
I think he stayed in NY for the money. Totally his choice and he's got to do what's best for him, but if he was looking to compete for a ring new had other options.

I think he stayed in NY for the money. Totally his choice and he's got to do what's best for him, but if he was looking to compete for a ring new had other options.

I disagree. New York wasn't the only team willing to pay a ton of money for him. The fact that he signed a long term deal that doesn't allow him to capitalize on the increased salary cap, that everybody knew was coming at the time he signed, signals to me that money wasn't the main factor. I could be wrong.

rrlbees said:
Melo was sold a bill of goods about making the team competitive now including going out to get another big name. That's also why he resigned. They've done nothing close to it and while this kid might be good some day, the Knicks keep kicking the can down the road. I'd demand a trade.

Couldn't disagree more. What magic fairy dust moves was Phil supposed to orchestrate? He needed to clear space and did. We'll see what they do this week in FA. I can see why Melo is grumpy about taking a guy who won't be a day one contributor... But who was at #4. Grant will have a nice impact.

As a Knicks fan I'm amped that they finally took a chance on the future rather than continually mortgaging the future for the now.

TheCusian said:
Couldn't disagree more. What magic fairy dust moves was Phil supposed to orchestrate? He needed to clear space and did. We'll see what they do this week in FA. I can see why Melo is grumpy about taking a guy who won't be a day one contributor... But who was at #4. Grant will have a nice impact. As a Knicks fan I'm amped that they finally took a chance on the future rather than continually mortgaging the future for the now.

I'm not talking just now, I'm talking since he resigned. They lied to him and he should demand a trade.

rrlbees said:

You're always drafting for the future. LeBron missed the playoffs his first season. And the NBA cap has teeth. Phil needed to move some guys around to clear space. I'd bet Melo will be very happy in a week or two.

I'm not talking just now, I'm talking since he resigned. They lied to him and he should demand a trade.

Everyone knew that the knicks situation is a complete disaster, Melo knew, and took the money anyway. He made a choice, he could have pulled a Lebron and went elsewhere for a little less money.

rrlbees said:

He resigned last year. Phil spent the year creating space.

Brooky03 said:
I haven't read the full post or the replies, but Melo clearly did not sign with the Knicks for the money. He would have gotten a max contract anywhere he went, no question. He signed with the Knicks because he liked New York and he actually cost himself money by signing such a long contract. He did this because Phil Jackson convinced Melo that he would make moves immediately to build a championship team. Drafting this foreign kid who probably won't be ready until the final year of Melo's contract and trading away Melo's protege - Hardaway - for Grant does not seem to be in line with what Phil promised Melo. Not cool in my book. It also doesn't look like the Knicks are currently making the free agents moves they need to make either. I heard rumors about David West. Seriously, that's the guy they want?

Only NY could offer the kind of money he got due to the salary cap structure. Sign and trades are much harder to do in this collective bargaining agreement.

I disagree. New York wasn't the only team willing to pay a ton of money for him. The fact that he signed a long term deal that doesn't allow him to capitalize on the increased salary cap, that everybody knew was coming at the time he signed, signals to me that money wasn't the main factor. I could be wrong.

Untrue. N.Y. was the only team that was even allowed to give him what he got.

You've claimed multiple times that you dislike and don't follow the NBA.

Phil is the one who threw the huge offer out there and yes it may be the only offer that large he would see but it was still put on the table. He would be foolish not to sign it. We are fans and want titles but as someone who is making a financial decision and on his last max money contract he made a good decision

Also he has a right to question and be concerned. Phil can build for the future all he wants but if he is just going to kick the can down the road then it doesnt offer melo anything besides a paycheck. In that instance melo should just ask to go to cleveland or chicago and go get himself a ring there.

Phil is the one who threw the huge offer out there and yes it may be the only offer that large he would see but it was still put on the table. He would be foolish not to sign it. We are fans and want titles but as someone who is making a financial decision and on his last max money contract he made a good decision

Also he has a right to question and be concerned. Phil can build for the future all he wants but if he is just going to kick the can down the road then it doesnt offer melo anything besides a paycheck. In that instance melo should just ask to go to cleveland or chicago and go get himself a ring there.

He could have gotten a large sum of money close to the ny deal elsewhere and played with a contender.

who the heck were they going to take at the spot in the draft that was a sure fire win now talent? After the top three picks, its a guessing game. You could get yourself a solid rotation piece that could be the final piece of a championship roster...but that roster doesnt benefit from such a luxury item.

I just can't get past the fact they were dumb enough to win the last two games. None of this discussion would be happening if they just did what they do best, lose a couple more games. Then they get one of the big three.

I just can't get past the fact they were dumb enough to win the last two games. None of this discussion would be happening if they just did what they do best, lose a couple more games. Then they get one of the big three.
That absurd end-of-season "surge" sums up the whole sorry situation. It's always more exciting in any sport, particularly the NBA, when teams in NY and LA are doing well, but the good news for pro hoops fans is that the NBA's popularity in the U.S. and globally is uber-high with the Knicks in perpetual suck mode. The product, and the marketing, is that great.

This year was always a wash. There was no final piece to a contender at 4. They got a ready PG in Grant at 19.

It was and will always be about FA. THJr wasn't the make or break. His PER is 12. Which is abysmal.

Melo should be pimping NY, Phil, KP, etc from the rooftops to attract FAs.

If he didn't understand the landscape, that's on him. This is a business and he isn't as good as LeBron or KD.

Melo is my favorite player, and I don't even think these reports are accurate, but he's got to play the part to make this work.

This year was always a wash. There was no final piece to a contender at 4. They got a ready PG in Grant at 19.

It was and will always be about FA. THJr wasn't the make or break. His PER is 12. Which is abysmal.

Melo should be pimping NY, Phil, KP, etc from the rooftops to attract FAs.

If he didn't understand the landscape, that's on him. This is a business and he isn't as good as LeBron or KD.

Melo is my favorite player, and I don't even think these reports are accurate, but he's got to play the part to make this work.
He never said anything. Frank Isola, who always trolls NYK fans, reported he's mad about it. Melo, on his Instagram, went in defending the draft pick. Who knows what to believe but the only thing out of Melo's mouth has been positive about the draft.

Knicks are in the market for a SG and C. If they can get Ellis, Green or Carroll and one of Jordan, Gasol or Monroe, they immediately become a middle of the pack 3-7 seed playoff team in the East.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom