Men’s lacrosse committee recommends altering stall procedures, faceoffs | Syracusefan.com

Men’s lacrosse committee recommends altering stall procedures, faceoffs

The NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Rules Committee recommended several changes to its stalling rules and faceoff tactics Thursday.

The committee, which met Aug. 12-14 in Indianapolis, recommended a visible clock be used to time the 30-second stalling segment in facilities capable of displaying the clocks. That change would take effect in spring 2015.

It also recommended that two clocks be used at either end of the field; the use of one clock, however, will still be allowed. When one clock is used, it should be located midfield opposite the benches and elevated if possible, the committee recommends.

All Division I men’s lacrosse programs will be required to have the clocks displayed by the 2016 season, and Division II and Division III will be required to have visible clocks by the 2017 season.

Committee members also discussed the possibility of recommending a shot clock on every possession throughout the game.

The committee broke into small groups and reviewed potential impacts on the game. Ultimately, the committee did not support using a shot clock on every possession.

The committee also recommended tweaks to the lacrosse faceoff rules.

Under the proposal, a violation would be called if a player picks up or carries the ball on the back of his stick. It would still be illegal to clamp the ball with the back of the stick, but the ball must be moved, raked or directed immediately.

“Picking up and carrying the ball on the back of the stick is contrary to the intent of the faceoff,” Hind said. “Faceoffs continue to be an important part of the game, but the committee feels that some of the current tactics being used are contrary to the spirit of the rule.”

It would also be illegal to use a body part (forearm, elbow, head, etc.) to initiate contact with an opponent’s stick. It remains illegal to kick or step on an opponent’s stick.

The NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Rules Committee recommended several changes to its stalling rules and faceoff tactics Thursday.

The committee, which met Aug. 12-14 in Indianapolis, recommended a visible clock be used to time the 30-second stalling segment in facilities capable of displaying the clocks. That change would take effect in spring 2015.

It also recommended that two clocks be used at either end of the field; the use of one clock, however, will still be allowed. When one clock is used, it should be located midfield opposite the benches and elevated if possible, the committee recommends.

All Division I men’s lacrosse programs will be required to have the clocks displayed by the 2016 season, and Division II and Division III will be required to have visible clocks by the 2017 season.

Committee members also discussed the possibility of recommending a shot clock on every possession throughout the game.

The committee broke into small groups and reviewed potential impacts on the game. Ultimately, the committee did not support using a shot clock on every possession.

Not exactly what I was hoping for but at least were getting closer to a shot clock and with the 30 second clock now visible it should help both the offense and defense.

Now that we spent years recruiting FO guys who could pick up the ball with the backs of their sticks, they change the rules. :(

Now that we spent years recruiting FO guys who could pick up the ball with the backs of their sticks, they change the rules. :(

LOL good point, but at least it takes that advantage away from everyone else as well. Sounds like you can still win the faceoff draw in the stick but you need to either pass it right away or just kind of throw it wildly like Daddio and hope for the best.

What stuck in my craw more than the back of the stick stuff was the refs' letting the FOGOs clamp the ball for what seemed like 10 minutes and not calling withholding. It's probably an exaggeration, but I'd swear I've seen FOGOs making 2 orbits of their stick while manintaining their clamp and no call.

I agree with this last year face off became who can pinch and pop with the ball in their stick faster, its removing the skill set of the faceoff man and made it a bit of a joke! It was obvious with so many face off guys having to pass with the back of their sticks or carrying for long distances with it jammed in their head! I even saw face off guys picking the ball up in normal ground ball circumstances by pinching the back of their stick around the ball!

The committee also recommended tweaks to the lacrosse faceoff rules.

Under the proposal, a violation would be called if a player picks up or carries the ball on the back of his stick. It would still be illegal to clamp the ball with the back of the stick, but the ball must be moved, raked or directed immediately.

“Picking up and carrying the ball on the back of the stick is contrary to the intent of the faceoff,” Hind said. “Faceoffs continue to be an important part of the game, but the committee feels that some of the current tactics being used are contrary to the spirit of the rule.”

It would also be illegal to use a body part (forearm, elbow, head, etc.) to initiate contact with an opponent’s stick. It remains illegal to kick or step on an opponent’s stick.

Too bad for Duke and their football face-off guys who always carry the ball on the back of the stick. That one rule could have greatly impacted their "dynasty".

And shocking that these guys don't want a shot clock. Why allow the game to be played how it was meant to be played? :rolleyes: (stall ball is the unofficial "Syracuse" rule)

The only thing they need to do change is how pinched the sticks are. It’s total crap that the ball doesnt come out. Go back to the old SL2 days of stick width for faceoff guys. Hell I’d widen the sticks across the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom