Men's Div I Bracket | Syracusefan.com

Men's Div I Bracket

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Notre Dame, Syracuse Take Top Seeds in DI Men's Tournament (LaxMag)

CEH_FRpWgAAH-Ue.jpg

Sector SPDRs May Madness: Men's DI NCAA Tournament Bracket; Notre Dame No. 1 Seed (IL)

Sector SPDRs May Madness: DI Bracket Snubs and Surprises (IL)

Notre Dame over 'Cuse for top seed
According to our most recent bracketology post, Syracuse seemed a favorite as the No. 1 overall seed, with Notre Dame and North Carolina likely occupying No. 2 and 3. Given the Irish’s head-to-head win over the Orange (the Heels split their games with Syracuse), it’s not startling that Notre Dame jumps ahead to the top spot, but considering Syracuse’s overall resume wrapped up with an ACC crown (a league we have toted all year as a cut above the rest), some might be surprised to see the Golden Domers as the highest seed.

As the No. 2-seed, Syracuse potentially faces its third-straight year seeing Bryant at the Dome to round out the opening weekend. Based on seeding and geography it makes sense that either Marist or Bryant matriculate to Syracuse after their play-in game, but I imagine the CNY crowd isn’t itching to see the Bulldogs again (unless they are hungry for revenge).

Last edited:
Bracket Breakdown: Rematches Galore; Head-to-Head Impacts (LaxMag)

It became apparent at the start of the selection show on ESPNU – when Notre Dame, not Syracuse, was announced as the tournament's top overall seed – that the five-person selection committee was weighing head-to-head results in a significant way. Lyke said the committee felt the Irish and Orange's resumes were so close – noting among other things Notre Dame went 4-0 in the ACC regular season and Syracuse won the ACC tournament title – that looking at who won when they played on the field was the decision-maker.

"One had a better strength of schedule. One had a better RPI. It was very slight so we looked at head-to-head competition, and it was double-overtime. It reinforced how evenly matched these two schools really were. Both had such strong resumes," Lyke said. "We had to draw the deciding factor somewhere so that's where we drew it."

A similar tact was taken when deciding on Cornell or Albany for the eighth overall seed and again with the final at-large spot in the field...

Latest rankings. Albany #6 - Cornell #11. Okaaaaay.

It a tough bracket that Desko and the team landed in. Presuming a win in their first game unless they totally buck up themselves, they face Virginia. My hope is that Notre Dame loses fast. I can't stand that school and its reputation Too much of that "reputation has come from Hollywood.Rudy,Gipper, Knuteto name a short list.We have one in the Express and that was great but not nearly enough. Sure Notre Dame has a good share of winning football in there

McAnaney: My NCAA Tournament Bracket Thoughts (LaxMag)

The No. 1 Seed
Another topic for debate is the No. 1 overall seed. Despite my belief in head-to-head results, I am shocked Notre Dame is on the top line instead of Syracuse. A double-overtime win at home carries the day over an ACC tournament title? But, to be honest, I cannot find the advantage of being the No. 1 over the No. 2. Would you rather potentially play Albany or the Johns Hopkins-Virginia winner? With all due respect to the Cavs and Jays, they are a more comfortable matchup than the magical mystery tour.

Syracuse handled the Great Danes earlier this year, but there is a mystique about Albany now that can turn almost the entire crowd at a neutral site against your team. The Orange did not have to deal with that in the regular season meeting at the Dome. I know it's a fun argument, but I think Syracuse has no problem being the two seed and staring at North Carolina on championship weekend while, if the Domers advance, Notre Dame would get Denver or Duke.

Sector SPDrs May Madness: Coughlin's NCAA Tournament Probabilities (IL)

Syracuse (16.4%)

As mentioned, Syracuse has one of the top offenses in the country as well as one of the best defenses. The attack, considered one of the best in the country, has a stellar inside finisher in Dylan Donahue. Only Brody Eastwood of Stony Brook has more goals in EMO or transition than Donahue (23).

Sector SPDRs May Madness: 'Offense Wins Championships' (IL)

The May issue of Inside Lacrosse featured the headline “Offense Wins Championships.” The top five seeds bring just that — plenty of offense — on the road to Philadephia. It was speculated on the ESPNU NCAA Tournament preview, as well as on IL and elsewhere, that it’s a top-heavy tournament in which chalk would prevail. Brian Coughlin’s probabilities echo that, with the top four seeds having more than 10% chance to win it all.

These pages detail the offensive arsenal of these top five seeds — who are the clear favorites heading into May Madness...

Syracuse
Method Man: Syracuse assistant Kevin Donahue and head coach John Desko

Syracuse’s coaching staff handles the offense interestingly — head coach John Desko coaches the zone and extra-man offense, while assistant Kevin Donahue handles the man-to-man offense. That breakdown matches Donahue’s outlook.

“I try to avoid teaching plays or running offenses that revolve around a single player,” he says. “Instead, we try to teach all of them basic concepts of offensive spacing and movements that allow them to work together to attack the complex defenses that we see in DI.”

Donahue’s more than two-decade relationship with the ’Cuse program is pre-dated by his relationship with Desko; they were high school teammates. After spending time coaching and teaching at their alma mater West Genesee (N.Y.), Donahue joined the Orange staff full-time ahead of son Dylan transferring back from Air Force and daughter Riley joining the women’s team. He’s coached every position at Syracuse, is a hall of famer and former assistant of the year — a remarkable asset to the program who’s lived somewhat behind the scenes through this most recent iteration of success.

—TERRY FOY

philOsophy

Donahue in his own words: “Offense is really a combination of the players’ skill, athleticism and their group concept comprehension. We try to teach players how to play and think together. We teach them the basic slide packages they will have to deal with. This allows them to think for themselves when new situations show up. Different defenses need to be attacked in different ways. We use a universal offensive set that allows us to adjust to different slide packages. Size, spacing and off-ball movements are emphasized, but basic skill development is a constant piece that helps us improve as the season progresses.”

Quint’s Scouting Report

Kevin Rice — Quarterback, understands tempo and when to push or pull out. Probes the corner trying to draw a double or get off a right-handed shot. Only knock would be his lack of range shooting outside of nine yards, which he rarely does.

Dylan Donahue — Super smart, always putting pressure on his defender off-ball with movement, cuts, picks and slips. Terrific inside finisher who’s become much stronger at turning the corner when dodging and developed a better outside shot.

Randy Staats — Righty struggled with injuries at mid-year (and throughout his career). Had an exemplary game vs. Johns Hopkins. A severe-angle shooter, he can post up and dish the rock BTB and is money from mid-range — nobody is better operating at the right-handed GLE spot. Few teams have three capable cover men to deal with the Orange attack, as seen when Staats torched Army.

Nicky Galasso — Another oft-injured vet, transitioning from attack to midfield, is playing at a peak level. Has a strong outside, sidearm left-handed shot. Can bang a corner from mid-range with his right. ’Cuse likes to invert him for a left-handed move. Highly underrated without the ball; he can set picks inside for Donahue.

Hakeem Lecky — Explosive first step. If guarded by a shortstick, he can run past his man and bury the rock. Has dramatically improved his vision and passing skills.

Henry Schoonmaker — A poor-man’s Matt Abbott, there’s nothing Schoonmaker can’t do. He was the MVP in the Hopkins win, defending, clearing and dodging to paydirt.

Tim Barber — Capable shooter who looks the part with ideal speed, power and size. Filled in for Staats.

Sector SPDRs May Madness: Quint's First-Round Breakdown, Storylines (IL)

Marist at Syracuse, 7:30 p.m. Sunday
Syracuse is trending up after winning the ACC tournament, then disposing of Colgate last Saturday. The Orange is built around the nation's most lethal attack: Kevin Rice, Dylan Donahue and Randy Staats, with a healthy dose of midfielders Nicky Galasso and Hakeem Lecky. Faceoff man Ben Williams has been a game-changer, but communication and off-ball defense were poor in the ACC tournament.

Marist won its first NCAA tournament game in program history, defeating Bryant, 10-6, in a play-in game Wednesday night. Marist is much better than you'd anticipate, with one-goal losses to Brown and Penn State. The Orange was upset by Bryant in the first round of the tournament last year. The memories are fresh for the Syracuse players, who won't let that happen again

32041.jpg

Woody, I don't see Albany beating ND, or Ohio State beating Duke, but otherwise I am pretty much in agreement with your bracket. I especially like the right hand column.

It a tough bracket that Desko and the team landed in. Presuming a win in their first game unless they totally buck up themselves, they face Virginia. My hope is that Notre Dame loses fast. I can't stand that school and its reputation Too much of that "reputation has come from Hollywood.Rudy,Gipper, Knuteto name a short list.We have one in the Express and that was great but not nearly enough. Sure Notre Dame has a good share of winning football in there
IMHO Hopkins will beat Virginia and that is a very scary rematch with SU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom