Mets | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mets

I originally became a Mets fan back in the 80's because I like their broadcast crew better than any other team we got. While the team has been on a roller-coaster, the broadcasting crew has been consistently good the entire time.

They've long had great talent and have really been excellent since SNY launched (though Ron lapses into generic shouting sports cliche guy a little too often lately, especially when Keith is away; last night wasn't his finest work).

The Fran Healy/Howie Rose/Gary Thorne crew in the mid-to-late '90s was...interesting. Mostly because Fran was a goofball. Howie's rounded into a real pro (and last week we learned that he's a Honeymooners expert, to boot).

SNY has a great team. I remember in summer of 2010 they had Jerry Seinfeld up in the booth for what was supposed to be an an inning but he ended up doing 3 or 4 and just calling the game with them. That was awesome. Bob Costas and John Smoltz did the game on Friday night on MLB Network, I really enjoyed them too.

They've long had great talent and have really been excellent since SNY launched (though Ron lapses into generic shouting sports cliche guy a little too often lately, especially when Keith is away; last night wasn't his finest work).

The Fran Healy/Howie Rose/Gary Thorne crew in the mid-to-late '90s was...interesting. Mostly because Fran was a goofball. Howie's rounded into a real pro (and last week we learned that he's a Honeymooners expert, to boot).

I kinda grew up on Fran; he was really terrible. Howie and Gary are both great. Gary only bothers me when he gets on his soapbox re: PEDs.

I kinda grew up on Fran; he was really terrible. Howie and Gary are both great. Gary only bothers me when he gets on his soapbox re: PEDs.

My family kind of took a break from the Mets from about the time of the first Bonilla acquisition until 1996, so Fran's clumsiness also played a big part of my reintroduction to the team.

Gary had a perfect baseball voice and was pretty good; I thought Howie was kind of a shrill dork, but I've done a 180 on him in recent years. He's a good fan and a real radio professional.

when you listen on xm radio to other broadcasts its amazing how bad many of them are..

My family kind of took a break from the Mets from about the time of the first Bonilla acquisition until 1996, so Fran's clumsiness also played a big part of my reintroduction to the team.

Gary had a perfect baseball voice and was pretty good; I thought Howie was kind of a shrill dork, but I've done a 180 on him in recent years. He's a good fan and a real radio professional.

I've always really liked Howie; I also think it's great that they have both a radio and TV play by play guy who is both A) really good and B) a huge mets fan from birth.

re: your break; you didn't really miss much. Of course I was 11 in 1995 so I didn't really have an idea of how bad things were in that period, but yeah, bad times.

Fran was the only one I didn't care for. He seemed like a nice guy but there were some embarrassed silences in the booth after some of this pearls of 'wisdom'.

Fran was the only one I didn't care for. He seemed like a nice guy but there were some embarrassed silences in the booth after some of this pearls of 'wisdom'.

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember an exchange from the Blue Jays interleague series in '98 or '99 along the lines of:

Howie: "Live, from the Skydome-"
Fran, interrupting: "Skydome"
Howie: "Right"
Fran: "No 'the.' Just 'Skydome'"
Howie: "Huh?"
Fran "It's the vernacular."
Howie: [long awkward pause]

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember an exchange from the Blue Jays interleague series in '98 or '99 along the lines of:

Howie: "Live, from the Skydome-"
Fran, interrupting: "Skydome"
Howie: "Right"
Fran: "No 'the.' Just 'Skydome'"
Howie: "Huh?"
Fran "It's the vernacular."
Howie: [long awkward pause]

Fran, after Darryl Strawberry breaks up a double play at second: "If I were the manager I'd tell my star never to do anything like that where he might get hurt."

Response: dead air.

My thought: If you have your star playing that way, you'll have everybody playing that way.

Last edited:
Fran had this thing where he'd add extra a's into words. So like Cliff Floyd became "Califf Faloyd"

I couldn't stand Fran, really the only Mets broadcaster I never cared for.

For my money, I really enjoyed watching those old WB 11 games with Dave O'Brien and Tom Seaver. Seaver was great as the color guy.

We are SO lucky to have Gary Cohen. He's one of the top play by play baseball guys in the business, right up there with Scully, Kuiper, Thorne, and Uecker.

Always forget about Fran. He wasn't very good.

Oh come on. It was so awesome when the Mets were on the MSG network. That was right around the time Reyes and Wright were just coming up.

Oh come on. It was so awesome when the Mets were on the MSG network. That was right around the time Reyes and Wright were just coming up.

My junior year (start of the 05 season) MSG had a dispute with TWC and I couldn't watch any Met games on MSG. (and of course Syracuse is in in the blackout area for mlb tv). I remember that the day I was headed home, where I'd be able to watch the games, MSG and TWC came to a resolution. The timing was such an FU to me.

When's the last time we had a bullpen that wasn't God awful? The 80s?

2006. Whoever came out of the bullpen moved down everybody. Then Duaner Sanchez got hurt and holes started to developed as pitchers changed roles.

Last year wasn't god awful. This year would've been pretty good if Mejia wasn't one of the stupidest people on Earth.

Last year I think we had an ok pen? 2006 was incredible. Other than that? Yeah...

Last year wasn't god awful. This year would've been pretty good if Mejia wasn't one of the stupidest people on Earth.

he must lack confidence in his abilities, thinking he couldn't be successful without the drugs. Most people seem to think he's got a lot of natural talent.

14-9
14-9
5-1
16-7

The pitching, outside of Verrett on Sunday, has been below par, but the bats...minga.

14-9
14-9
5-1
16-7

The pitching, outside of Verrett on Sunday, has been below par, but the bats...minga.

The 1927 Mets!

1927NYYankees5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom