Mets! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mets!

Collins solved his bullpen problem by using starters as long relievers- will he be able to do that in a seven game series? Also, I think he survived a blunder by putting Familia in for the 8th inning when Syndergaard was pitching so well. He could have pinch hit for Syndergaard and still have Familia. Instea dhe ahd to bat his closer and essentially give up a shot at an insurance run.

Love Daniel Murphy. He's a ballplayer's ball player. But he's no superstar. We need to get Wright, Cespedes and Duda going. Cespedes tries to hit a 400 foot homer on every pitch. Duda has that Mel Ott thing going but if his timing is off, he's pathetic. We're lucky to have Wright at all but we need more than him, too.

Yeah, I like Cespedes and all, but we can't sign him. He's just a band-aid for this season; gotta roll with Granderson, Conforto, and some combination of Cuddyer/Lagares/someone else next year. Don't want to lock down a flawed player for huge money.

Collins solved his bullpen problem by using starters as long relievers- will he be able to do that in a seven game series? Also, I think he survived a blunder by putting Familia in for the 8th inning when Syndergaard was pitching so well. He could have pinch hit for Syndergaard and still have Familia. Instea dhe ahd to bat his closer and essentially give up a shot at an insurance run.

Love Daniel Murphy. He's a ballplayer's ball player. But he's no superstar. We need to get Wright, Cespedes and Duda going. Cespedes tries to hit a 400 foot homer on every pitch. Duda has that Mel Ott thing going but if his timing is off, he's pathetic. We're lucky to have Wright at all but we need more from him, too.

I don't think it was a blunder to have Familia pitch the 8th and 9th. I think it was always the plan. The Dodgers got absolutely nothing on him in that series. I understand the point though as Syndergaard was impressive and it would have been nice to have a pinch hitter in the top of the 9th. The way Collins handled the staff in the series he was basically saying if you beat us you are going to have to do it against our best pitchers. I also wonder about the middle relief in a 7 game series. How short can the rotation be, and if they win the Cubs series but it goes 6 - 7 how does that effect the WS.

12105739_10153464187746773_1917236744933117626_n.jpg

Love Daniel Murphy. He's a ballplayer's ball player. But he's no superstar. We need to get Wright, Cespedes and Duda going. Cespedes tries to hit a 400 foot homer on every pitch. Duda has that Mel Ott thing going but if his timing is off, he's pathetic. We're lucky to have Wright at all but we need more from him, too.

Thats a great point, outside of Familia, there is no one in the bullpen that I trust. The starters are going to have to go deep into games this series.

Congrats Mets fans!

Is Cal Ripken brain-damaged? He seems mildly-ed.

27-2.

Difference between Yankees and Mets fans:

Yankees fans think about the Mets during their regular season series and if they happen to meet in the World Series.

You guys are headed to the NLDS and you are still obsessing about the Yankees.

LOL...

27-2.

Yankees fans think about the Mets during their regular season series and if they happen to meet in the World Series.

LOL...

I'm a Mets fan but I still had to laugh at this:
$_1.JPG

One of the reasons I became a Mets fan is that I thought it would be more interesting thing to root for a team still trying to establish itself rather than a team that expected to win each year. It's had it's frustrations but I I've always said that the Mets can't have the Yankee's past but they could still have the Yankee's future. They just have to use their status as the National League team in the nation's biggest market to it's full extent.

27-2.

LOL...

I'm a red sox fan genius.

and if they win the Cubs series but it goes 6 - 7 how does that effect the WS.

Extremely valid concern but at this point, it has to be a one series at a time approach. I was never a big Parnell fan, but this team could really use one of Edgin/Blevins and Mejia. Other than Familia (maybe Robles but dont think he's quite there yet), we have nobody nasty who misses bats coming out of the pen.

I never do this, but I've been holding off for a couple of days.

I posted this on another Mets thread on September 24...got nary a like.

The TV crew mentioned Murphy possibly being a little under appreciated. I agree. He's a tough out. A smart hitter. And a sometimes multi dimensional defensive liability.

I like him.

I never do this, but I've been holding off for a couple of days.

I posted this on another Mets thread on September 24...got nary a like.

The TV crew mentioned Murphy possibly being a little under appreciated. I agree. He's a tough out. A smart hitter. And a sometimes multi dimensional defensive liability.

I like him.

He's a gamer, the type of player successful teams seem to have.

As a Cubs fan, I'm just hoping we can steal a game at this point; it would take a miracle (which isn't exactly the Cubs' forte) to win the series with Lester and Arrieta going 0-2. The rest of the staff simply isn't good. Oh well. It's been a surprisingly great year, and I'll be rooting for the Mets if they move on to the World Series (my brother's favorite team, so I'm excited for him).

As a Cubs fan, I'm just hoping we can steal a game at this point; it would take a miracle (which isn't exactly the Cubs' forte) to win the series with Lester and Arrieta going 0-2. The rest of the staff simply isn't good. Oh well. It's been a surprisingly great year, and I'll be rooting for the Mets if they move on to the World Series (my brother's favorite team, so I'm excited for him).

As I told a good friend who is a Cubs fan, this is far from over. Wrigley can be a place where crazy things happen and the Cubs fans will cheer loudly for every good Cubs play and ever bad Mets play. Many a team has come back from 0-2 to win a seven game series and Wrigley would be exactly the sort of place things could turn around in. If the Mets have to face Lester and Arrieta again with the Cubs having momentum, it would be a difficult spot for them. And we need more than Murphy's heroics.

Getting those two wins in our back pocket is a good feeling but all it guarantees is that we won't have to endure a Cubs celebration at Wrigley. The Mets still have plenyt of work to do.

It's not about the goat. So far it's about the Mets. But I've heard the goat had a name: Murphy.

As I told a good friend who is a Cubs fan, this is far from over. Wrigley can be a place where crazy things happen and the Cubs fans will cheer loudly for every good Cubs play and ever bad Mets play. Many a team has come back from 0-2 to win a seven game series and Wrigley would be exactly the sort of place things could turn around in. If the Mets have to face Lester and Arrieta again with the Cubs having momentum, it would be a difficult spot for them. And we need more than Murphy's heroics.

Getting those two wins in our back pocket is a good feeling but all it guarantees is that we won't have to endure a Cubs celebration at Wrigley. The Mets still have plenyt of work to do.

It's not about the goat. So far it's about the Mets. But I've heard the goat had a name: Murphy.

We'll see. I think this ends in 5 and wouldn't be surprised if it's a sweep. deGrom vs. Hendricks is such a mismatch and Hammel is no better than Hendricks. I think there's a chance that they steal the game with Hammel on the mound, but I'll be surprised if this isn't 3-0 going into that game.

Unrelated: I heard that the Mets intend to let Murphy go and may not bother bringing Cespedes back either...I'll never understand it if they don't try to keep Cespedes. I can understand letting Murphy go because he's an average player that's probably going to be massively overpaid due to this sick and disgusting run he's on, but Cespedes is a difference maker and I feel like they need to do everything they can to retain him.

Last edited:
We'll see. I think this ends in 5 and wouldn't be surprised if it's a sweep. deGrom vs. Hendricks is such a mismatch and Hammel is no better than Hendricks. I think there's a chance that they steal the game with Hammel on the mound, but I'll be surprised if this isn't 3-0 going into that game.
Eh... deGrom is a fly ball pitcher and he's gotten knocked around pretty badly by the Cubs this year. If the wind is blowing out at Wrigley a lot of routine flys turn into HRs. I wish we had a sinker ball guy who just pounds the bottom of the strike zone... like Pelfrey was supposed to do. I'm pretty optimistic, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if deGrom put up a stinker tomorrow night. I think the key is going to be whether Matz can give us a solid outing or not.

BTW when did baseball go 2/3/2? I hate that format and I think it gives the team with 3 in a row a really unfair advantage.

Eh... deGrom is a fly ball pitcher and he's gotten knocked around pretty badly by the Cubs this year. If the wind is blowing out at Wrigley a lot of routine flys turn into HRs. I wish we had a sinker ball guy who just pounds the bottom of the strike zone... like Pelfrey was supposed to do. I'm pretty optimistic, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if deGrom put up a stinker tomorrow night. I think the key is going to be whether Matz can give us a solid outing or not.

BTW when did baseball go 2/3/2? I hate that format and I think it gives the team with 3 in a row a really unfair advantage.

Yeah, I didn't remember this being the case (but that may be because it's been so long since I've cared about playoff baseball). I thought it was going to give the Cubs a nice leg up with Lester and Arrieta potentially stealing a win or two in New York and then going home for 3 games, but alas, that's not the case.

Does anyone have any World Series Mets tickets? I'm trying to go to Game 3 or 4 but I can't justify spending three months of rent on tickets.

No extras, but a buddy of mine has invited me to come with him for Game 4 - he jumped on the opportunity to purchase World Series tickets with his 2016 deposit during the summer.

Hope the bats are warmer than they were when I was in the house for Game 4 against the Dodgers!

Best bet for you might be to wander around Citi for the first inning or so, then find a scalper who's looking to unload a single for a reasonable price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom