Miami/ND | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Miami/ND

Brey has proven to be good in the tournament as well. He has made the Elite 8 the last 2 years and has to abide by different recruiting standards than other schools. Jamie Dixon has never accomplished what Mike Brey has in the above.

I do not see the comparison between the 2.

I mean, before 2015 he hadn't been past the first weekend since 2003.

We smacked them last year without Demetrius Jackson who was the heartbeat of that team.

I mean I wouldn't say we've owned them "recently.". We've pretty much dominated Notre Dame since Brey took over in 2000.

I mean, before 2015 he hadn't been past the first weekend since 2003.

Agreed, cannot dispute that. I am really impressed how he has flipped that reputation of being a choke in March.

They don't usually find that "guy" until he plays against our zone! Then he proceeds to put up those numbers for three more years against us!
I heard that they make them in a lab somewhere on campus.

I heard that they make them in a lab somewhere on campus.

Every team seems to have "that guy" against us. The perfect example of this is Kyle Kuric before he became a real star. No one knew who he was and he just absolutely killed us.

To answer this briefly, no. There are no Luke Harangody's or Jack Cooley's on this Notre Dame team. They used to be a forward/center heavy team, however, the strength of their team is now their guard and wing play. Matt Farrell has done an impressive job filling the void that Jackson left, plays a gritty game. Vasturia and Beachem are the strength of the team on the wing, both are good athletes and are very good shooters. Additionally, they are veteran guys and disciplined defenders.

Colson has put up very solid numbers for being a very undersized big. We will see if he can keep this up as he plays better big men going into the heart of ACC play. They really lack a Center and with that, depth at the Center/PF position. Losing Zach Auguste may have been a bigger loss for them than Jackson. Martin Geben is serviceable but is a backup on a championship team. They have a freshman Mooney on their team but Brey hasn't been giving him minutes.

Off the bench they have some decent guards/wings but no frontcourt depth.

Typical Notre Dame team though, smart and well-coached. They won't beat themselves we have to go take it against them.
They may not have the big mongoloid looking dude, but they still have Vasturia, who looks like a bad Snapchat filter.

They may not have the big mongoloid looking dude, but they still have Vasturia, who looks like a bad Snapchat filter.

Doesn't "look" like a basketball player at all, but he is a solid ACC wing. I have a lot of respect for his game and I am sure Boeheim will as well. Seems like a lot of teams have slept on him and he has made them pay.

Brey has given so little attention to the defensive end over the years that I question why he has his players waste the energy it takes to run back to the defensive end after a change in possession. I think that has been part of the secret to our success against them.
Exactly we struggle with teams that give defensive effort.
Notre Dame doesn't give defensive effort. They play fun watchable game. Our athletes have typically been better than there athletes and we win.
I don't expect to beat them this year unless we get a BJ Johnson off the bench spark like we did 2 years ago.

Every team seems to have "that guy" against us. The perfect example of this is Kyle Kuric before he became a real star. No one knew who he was and he just absolutely killed us.

Dude was a walk-on.

Rick the Quick was running out of ideas, so he grabbed him from the end of the bench, and told KK to "go out there and dominate!"

So he did. :bang:

Colson is what I hoped coleman would be. Both undersized, but strong. Don't play above the rim but are crafty with their feet and around the rim. Colson is a better ball handler given he's a few inches shorter than coleman, but he bangs down low a lot.

Dude was a walk-on.

Rick the Quick was running out of ideas, so he grabbed him from the end of the bench, and told KK to "go out there and dominate!"

So he did. :bang:

I remember having no clue who he was. Dude was hitting 3s from everywhere and catching lobs.

Colson is what I hoped coleman would be. Both undersized, but strong. Don't play above the rim but are crafty with their feet and around the rim. Colson is a better ball handler given he's a few inches shorter than coleman, but he bangs down low a lot.

Leading rebounder in the ACC currently I believe at 6'5

Agreed.

But Colson doesn't have knees made of wet tissue paper like DC does. :(

It helps that Colson's father was an assistant coach at BC when he was growing up, he had an advantage there over Coleman from an IQ standpoint. Colson just seems to have more fire than Coleman.

Brey has given so little attention to the defensive end over the years that I question why he has his players waste the energy it takes to run back to the defensive end after a change in possession. I think that has been part of the secret to our success against them.

This year Brey has placed an increased emphasis on defense. FWIW, ND's defensive stats rank above that of Syracuse this year.

NCAAB Basketball - Defensive Stats

Brey has proven to be good in the tournament as well. He has made the Elite 8 the last 2 years and has to abide by different recruiting standards than other schools. Jamie Dixon has never accomplished what Mike Brey has in the above.

I do not see the comparison between the 2.

There is also the ACC Tournament championship Brey won two years ago. I guess that would be a "post regular season" thing.

This year Brey has placed an increased emphasis on defense. FWIW, ND's defensive stats rank above that of Syracuse this year.

NCAAB Basketball - Defensive Stats

Uh, that's more likely due to us being epicly BAD at D this season (the U and Pitt games excepted), than anything ND is doing better.

Uh, that's more likely due to us being epicly BAD at D this season (the U and Pitt games excepted), than anything ND is doing better.

Maybe so, but ND's defensive stats this year are much better than ND teams in the past.

Maybe so, but ND's defensive stats this year are much better than ND teams in the past.

I think this may be due to Vasturia and Beachem being elite wing defenders. Most teams' best players are the 2 & 3.

Also, Pflueger off the bench is a solid wing defender.

We are having a down year defensively and they are having an above normal year defensively...to this point

They are going to smoke us. Their PG is key for them, and the fact that they never miss from the line. Share the ball to get and make open shots, don't turn it over, and make FT's. Covers up pretty much any ill you want to throw out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom