Michigan offered Harbaugh $8M a year... | Syracusefan.com

Michigan offered Harbaugh $8M a year...

Money is ruining college football.

It's certainly ruining college football for those who don't have the big bucks to compete with the mega-schools.

Which, come to think of it, means it's pretty much ruining college football.

I think we're gonna see more teams dropping football, not just at the top level, but at the lower levels. Does it really make sense to keep football as a loss-leader at many of these schools?

Harbaugh won't give UM what it really wants -- regular victories over Ohio State - because Meyer is a better coach.

Also, does Harbaugh have time for all the recruiting BS and alumni glad-handling? Harbaugh doesn't look like the most patient guy and I wonder if the some of the things that irked Marrone about college coaching will irk Harbaugh too. Still, Harbaugh would have big money and an motivated state university behind him. Counts for a lot. But when it comes to beating tOSU, no soup for Jim.

Harbaugh won't give UM what it really wants -- regular victories over Ohio State - because Meyer is a better coach.

Also, does Harbaugh have time for all the recruiting BS and alumni glad-handling? Harbaugh doesn't look like the most patient guy and I wonder if the some of the things that irked Marrone about college coaching will irk Harbaugh too. Still, Harbaugh would have big money and an motivated state university behind him. Counts for a lot. But when it comes to beating tOSU, no soup for Jim.
For $50 million he might jump thru some hoops.

Stephen Ross is playing a big game here. He owns the Dolphins and wanted Harbaugh a few years back but Harbaugh wouldn't leave the west coast. Ross is also one of the biggest donors/boosters to the University of Michigan giving the school billions. So, he is in a situation where he can float money at Michigan to get Harbaugh to coach his favorite school. And if he wants Harbaugh in Miami down the road he has a free and open pipe-line to talk to him at any time with Jim at Michigan since Ross pretty much owns the school these days cause of his huge donations. OR he makes it possible for Michigan to make this huge offer to Jim, which takes away all of San Fran's leverage in trade talks for Harbaugh cause Jim has an option to go to Michigan and make a boatload of money. So, Ross can offer SF a mid-round pick instead of an early round pick and maybe trade for Harbaugh if Jim wants to stay in the NFL. Ross has taken away San Fran's leverage as now cause Jim would have 2 options to make big money. And if Jim goes to Michigan SF gets nothing in return. At least if they trade him they get something in return.

Either way, ROSS WINS! Cause Jim Harbaugh is coaching the NFL team he owns or his college that he gives billions too

Harbaugh won't take any job before the SF season is over as he won't pull a Bobby Petrino. I also think Harbaugh is using Michigan to leverage SF to control where he gets traded too from SF.

I don't think Harbaugh wants the UM job I think he will end up in Oakland.

Dude What...I mean I'm flabbergasted by this ridiculousness.

Ridiculous! Harbaugh would make Urban cry.

We're talking about the same Jim Harbaugh that successfully coached the Stanford team from 2007 - 2010, correct. Pretty sure none of these points are valid since he's done it successfully before. Zero comparison to Marrone.

Stephen Ross is playing a big game here. He owns the Dolphins and wanted Harbaugh a few years back but Harbaugh wouldn't leave the west coast. Ross is also one of the biggest donors/boosters to the University of Michigan giving the school billions. So, he is in a situation where he can float money at Michigan to get Harbaugh to coach his favorite school. And if he wants Harbaugh in Miami down the road he has a free and open pipe-line to talk to him at any time with Jim at Michigan since Ross pretty much owns the school these days cause of his huge donations. OR he makes it possible for Michigan to make this huge offer to Jim, which takes away all of San Fran's leverage in trade talks for Harbaugh cause Jim has an option to go to Michigan and make a boatload of money. So, Ross can offer SF a mid-round pick instead of an early round pick and maybe trade for Harbaugh if Jim wants to stay in the NFL. Ross has taken away San Fran's leverage as now cause Jim would have 2 options to make big money. And if Jim goes to Michigan SF gets nothing in return. At least if they trade him they get something in return.

Either way, ROSS WINS! Cause Jim Harbaugh is coaching the NFL team he owns or his college that he gives billions too

Ross wants Harbaugh at Michigan.

Remember in another thread when I said Michigan prints money?

I rest my case.

Hail.

Harbaugh won't take any job before the SF season is over as he won't pull a Bobby Petrino. I also think Harbaugh is using Michigan to leverage SF to control where he gets traded too from SF.

I don't think Harbaugh wants the UM job I think he will end up in Oakland.

The other thought is that this leak was entirely on purpose through certain channels. Harbaugh is not going to make any move until after the season, that much is near certain.

The 49ers see trade value in Harbaugh. By releasing this offer you are sending the message to other teams such as the Raiders that it will take more than $8 million, and that he may never come anyway and instead choose Michigan, thus hurting his trade value to force the 49ers' hand to fire him.

Ross wants Harbaugh at Michigan.
He will take him at either job honestly. He has been chasing him for years so I don't think he cares where he ends up as long as its in Miami or Michigan

Remember in another thread when I said Michigan prints money?

I rest my case.

Hail.
Yeah but they have never been able to land Les Miles or Jim Harbaugh in the past. They can print money but they have a trouble closing deals when it comes to getting the guys they want.

Yeah but they have never been able to land Les Miles or Jim Harbaugh in the past. They can print money but they have a trouble closing deals when it comes to getting the guys they want.

There's no doubt that the last two coaching hires were entirely bungled. This one is being handled differently and using the full resources at Michigan's disposal. My understanding is that this has been handled through the back channels going back weeks or even a few months once it became apparent that Hoke was going to be let go.

Also, Les Miles was never offered, contrary to the media taking what they thought was a logical move and putting it together and reporting it. He's been considered a fallback plan (and the thought is still that if Michigan came calling he'd run there), but his past and some particular actions in Ann Arbor have been a hinderance. In this case, Michigan is desperate to get back to being Michigan so that fence wouldn't be a hurdle, however, I hear that Harbaugh is plans A, B, C, and D.

I'm hearing, and I would agree, that this is close to a done deal and there's a game of politics that has to be played which is why there are strategic leaks such as the offer.

And believe it or not, Stephen Ross cares more about the University of Michigan than the Dolphins. His checkbook is reflective of that.

Joke is on Harbaugh. He'll have to pay his own mortgage. For at least a year or so.

There's no doubt that the last two coaching hires were entirely bungled. This one is being handled differently and using the full resources at Michigan's disposal. My understanding is that this has been handled through the back channels going back weeks or even a few months once it became apparent that Hoke was going to be let go.

Also, Les Miles was never offered, contrary to the media taking what they thought was a logical move and putting it together and reporting it. He's been considered a fallback plan (and the thought is still that if Michigan came calling he'd run there), but his past and some particular actions in Ann Arbor have been a hinderance. In this case, Michigan is desperate to get back to being Michigan so that fence wouldn't be a hurdle, however, I hear that Harbaugh is plans A, B, C, and D.

I'm hearing, and I would agree, that this is close to a done deal and there's a game of politics that has to be played which is why there are strategic leaks such as the offer.

And believe it or not, Stephen Ross cares more about the University of Michigan than the Dolphins. His checkbook is reflective of that.

Or they are just leaking info to make it look like Harbaugh is actually considering the job and two weeks from now he turns it down but it makes the job look better. Right now it doesn't look that hot but for 8 mil and Coach Harbaugh I guess it will. The recruiting is what may keep him from getting back. I think many of these guys just hate it and rightfully so. I understand the money but Harbaugh will be making big money wherever he goes. Also come down to him wanting to go back to Ann Arbor obviously.