Mike Gbinje | Syracusefan.com

Mike Gbinje

McNabb2Brominski

All Conference
Whats the scoop on this kid? I know nothing about him. Can he have a Wes Johnson-like impact on this team as a transfer? Hows his game? I never saw him play at Duke. Anybody know how he is doing in practice? Is he going to start? Can he play PG?

Whats the scoop on this kid? I know nothing about him. Can he have a Wes Johnson-like impact on this team as a transfer? Hows his game? I never saw him play at Duke. Anybody know how he is doing in practice? Is he going to start? Can he play PG?
This was addressed on Bleacher Report last year. Take it for what it's worth. He hardly played at Duke but he was the #26 recruit in the country.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...xpectations-for-duke-transfer-michael-gbinjie

I would expect him to start alongside Ennis in the backcourt. He reminds me of Kris Joseph, only a little shorter and with a better handle and ability to get to the rim. He's got a good, solid jump shot with range, but it's not great. He can get to the rim and finish, which will be huge next year. I think he'll look like a typical SU guard. Long, pretty athletic, not overly quick, with a variety of skills, but not truly great at any of them. I would imagine he'll play 30+ next year and be one of the team's leaders and go-to scorers. And he'll need to be.

I think i remember hearing about him practicing at PG this year some, as well.

He is a very good player. On a level with bt not wes johnson from what I have heard from people who watch the orange a lot.

The article makes him seem like a slightly smaller CJ Fair, although I assume he is not left handed. If his handle truly is passable for a SG they could be a dynamic tandem over loading one side of the floor. With Jerami on the other side to clean up the glass or get a ball reversal, the offense could be really fun to watch.

He'll be a nice player. Isn't going to have a Wes Johnson-type impact, but then again, Wes was one of a kind.

i've asked here several times if he's a 2 or a 3 or a tweener and never got an answer. maybe someone who's watched him practice a few times can enlighten the rest of us as to how JB deploys him?

I fully expect him to be an excellent player. He was the best player on the floor at Midnight Madness and has had a full year of development in the meantime. He has other-worldly size to play the 1 or 2 and has had a year of prep for those roles. There is good reason to be very optimistic about him in my opinion.

i've asked here several times if he's a 2 or a 3 or a tweener and never got an answer. maybe someone who's watched him practice a few times can enlighten the rest of us as to how JB deploys him?

More tweener, IMO, but I'd slot him as a 2G. He's listed at 6'7", but watching any of his highlights, he just doesn't look like one of those long guys for down low in our zone. I'm not sure he plays much wing here, especially with CJ, Grant and Roberson, among others there next year. At another school, he's probably a SF through and through. To me, his game looks suited to play up top and as a guard in our offense. He's a slasher with a solid outside shot, and a good handle. I could be totally wrong, though, since these are just observations based only on what I have seen of him (in his highlight tapes). I'd have to believe that with our lack of guard depth and experience that he'd be the top choice to start up top.

I fully expect him to be an excellent player. He was the best player on the floor at Midnight Madness and has had a full year of development in the meantime. He has other-worldly size to play the 1 or 2 and has had a year of prep for those roles. There is good reason to be very optimistic about him in my opinion.
What did he do to impress you so much at MM? Shoot well? Handle, slash, Defense?

I think he'll mostly be a 2

appreciate the input.i've never seen him. my earlier concern of course being that if gbinje was a more natural 3 then backcourt depth was again going to be an issue. good news is evidently we're set. for now.

What did he do to impress you so much at MM? Shoot well? Handle, slash, Defense?

He had a great handle and got the rim nicely. I know there is not defense being played there, but he looked most competent with the ball.

If Fair goes pro, Mike G likely moves into the small forward spot, I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have said something here about him before. Basically worked out with him over summer in a couple of group workouts. Great athleticism. Had a ridiculous fade away that went in a bunch against me. Shot a fade away on me because he probably knew he could of scored on me whenever so he just wanted to challenge himself. Great athlete, good looking shot. Not sure how well it will be next year. Has potential to be very good shooter. Strong kid with height. Athletic as hell and won Metro Player of the Year which is very tough to do in Richmond area. Will be good I think.

Tyler "The Beast" Roberson.

Just wondering: Do you think Roberson would start over a guy who's going into his third year of college ball?

We'd still have Cooney and Patterson to play the 2.

Just wondering: Do you think Roberson would start over a guy who's going into his third year of college ball?

We'd still have Cooney and Patterson to play the 2.

Mike G has been practicing the whole year at the 2 and some at the 1. He's not playing the wing unless somebody fouls out and it's an emergency situation. If CJ is gone then you have to roll with Grant and Roberson out on the wings. Both are taller and longer than Mike G. Plus the thought of Cooney or Buss starting with Ennis in the backcourt scares the hell out of me, but hey we'll see what happens.

I like the nickname "Silent G." that someone on here came up with. Hope his game is nothing but silent. Gentlemanly of Coach K. to let him transfer to SU.

I think Gbinije is going to make a Ryan Blackwell like impact as a transfer. I think he gives us a good 12 points a game next season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I like the nickname "Silent G." that someone on here came up with. Hope his game is nothing but silent. Gentlemanly of Coach K. to let him transfer to SU.
reason he didnt play at duke is that he didn't "communicate" enough for coach k... He actually gave them some real solid minutes when he played... I think he is more poised and has that care-free personality... He is funny as hell

I like the thought of a silent, deadly G who is going to get the job done. Great nickname, in my not always humble opinion! And yes, much appreciation for Coach K allowing this move. I'm just imagining the team this year if the NCAA didn't force him to sit out a year... including even just the ending of the UM game.

reason he didnt play at duke is that he didn't "communicate" enough for coach k... He actually gave them some real solid minutes when he played... I think he is more poised and has that care-free personality... He is funny as hell
I remember hearing that the coaching staff was ticked off at him when after Duke lost to Lehigh in the tourney, he went on facebook or twitter and asked "where all the hot girls at in Greensboro." The best response was "they're all in Lehigh's locker room" lol.

I like the thought of a silent, deadly G who is going to get the job done. Great nickname, in my not always humble opinion! And yes, much appreciation for Coach K allowing this move. I'm just imagining the team this year if the NCAA didn't force him to sit out a year... including even just the ending of the UM game.

I would have preferred G, (easier to type without the "silent" each time), on that drive to the basket at the end, (over Triche). He'd have turned it into a three point play to give us the lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom