Class of 2015 - Mike Hopkins might want to start talking to this 12 year old giant | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Mike Hopkins might want to start talking to this 12 year old giant

12 years old and 7'4" - I'd be sending him to a doctor to insure that boy is healthy or whether he is suffering from a medical condition/syndrome. Hope he's healthy.

Cheriehoop said:
12 years old and 7'4" - I'd be sending him to a doctor to insure that boy is healthy or whether he is suffering from a medical condition/syndrome. Hope he's healthy.

I saw a piece on him before. I don't remember the details, but he definitely has a condition. I hope they have slowed the growing, because it is very dangerous. It is unlikely that he will be a multimillionaire or play basketball competitively. If I remember correctly.

No kidding--this has acromaglia written all over it.

He has that "look" from the video--lots of physical cues suggesting that's what he has.

He has a form of acromegaly caused in large part by a balanced inversion on chromosome 12. I understand his growth was recently arrested via high dose testosterone. He has any number of benign tumors, bleeds easily and has an atrial flutter. You may notice the enlarged joints, and I suspect he has some extra teeth. High level athletic activity is unfortunately out of the question for this young fellow.

MCC said:
He has a form of acromegaly caused in large part by a balanced inversion on chromosome 12. I understand his growth was recently arrested via high dose testosterone. He has any number of benign tumors, bleeds easily and has an atrial flutter. You may notice the enlarged joints, and I suspect he has some extra teeth. High level athletic activity is unfortunately out of the question for this young fellow.

Yes, I remember from the story he had extra teeth.

My wife said the same thing so it must be a valid concern but i'm thinking Shaq will help him there Admittedly a 7-4 12 year old is a not just the result of tall parents.Hormonal issues could be in the mix or some other medical malady.

Not sure if anyone did a search on this kid but he is now 18 years old and 7'8". He's had successful hormone therapy which halted his growth rate to 0% over a 4-year span (since he was 14). If you look at some pics of his hands and legs, you realize this is not the result of typical growth development. I hope the kid has a normal life.

There may be some bio-chemists out there that can clarify, but after a quick google search, it looks like a chromosome of his split and re-attached itself incorrectly causing him to grow rapidly.

Essentially, they ended up artificially putting him through puberty to stop his growth spurts. When you look at his hands they are lumpy like hockey gloves. I bet he has terrible arthritis throughout his body. Really a terrible thing for a 12 year old to have to go through...