Mike Tirico officially joins NBC, Sean McDonough to take over Monday Night Football | Syracusefan.com

Mike Tirico officially joins NBC, Sean McDonough to take over Monday Night Football

Actually, I am very, very happy about this. I think McDonough will do a great job--and nothing to take away from Tirico (because I love him)--but I think this will actually be an improvement. Gruden and McDonough are just gonna riff on each other.

So, just another Syracuse transfer, right? ;)

Awesome! Sean is a class act and a cuse voice!i am 44, reminds me of the old big east hoops games when i was in my teens, THE voice. Well deserved!

In '81 Sean was the Dome PA voice for men's soccer games while I manned the substitution horn. The connection was the statistician, whose father happened to be the NASL commissioner.

It was great to meet Sean at the Basket Ball a few years ago,

Last edited:
Fantastic. Tirico on Thursday nights and McDonough on Monday nights. Does it get any better?
Wouldn't Tirico be on Sunday nights? Thursday gets the B team on NFL network of Colinsworth and someone else I can't remember.

Wouldn't Tirico be on Sunday nights? Thursday gets the B team on NFL network of Colinsworth and someone else I can't remember.

Probably not until Al Michaels retires

These events are nothing more than an absolute PR coups for Cuse and Newhouse. Could you script it any better?
Particularly when you consider the Costas tie-in on NBC. Presumably, Mike will team with him and is likely next in line.

These events are nothing more than an absolute PR coups for Cuse and Newhouse. Could you script it any better?
Absolutely. Just checked out the Newhouse website, and don't see this news listed. Now granted they have a picture of the President standing in front of a Newhouse logo, so that's not all bad, but this is fantastic PR. cto needs to make some calls, and tell them to at least post this in the alumni news section. :) If they will listen to anyone, it will be her!

Colinsworth is on the A team with Al Michaels on sunday nights.

I don't know anything about this but the NFL's reasoning smells like bullsh!t to me. Does the NFL have some beef with Tirico or are they trying to drive Michaels into an early grave? I don't really watch the pro broadcasts but if I did, I don't think my game-watching would be adversely effected by either Michaels or Tirico delivering the play-by-play. There's either something petty or pointlessly micro manage-y behind this.

I think nfl's problem is that when this package was being bid on they spefically wanted #1 announce team for nbc like cbs to do the games. Once al retires orhis contract is done im sure they would have no issue with tirico and collingsworth doing the games

Hilarious

. . . . Goodell and the NFL

Non profit telling a business who paid for rights that they cannot use key people where NBC wants

NBC should do whatever they want

Yeah you would think the guys coughing up all the cash should be able to make that call. NBC should tell them to stick it.

Yeah you would think the guys coughing up all the cash should be able to make that call. NBC should tell them to stick it.
If only there wasn't so much $$$ involved they could move these games to MSNBC, CNBC or the Golf Channel.

CqVEM-FWEAIkjfO.jpg

The NFL doesn't want their Thursday package to come off as 2nd rate or non-important (which it is but they don't want that appearance). That's why they put the language in the contract. NBC should have negotiated better at the time if they didn't like it.

Al Michaels is 71 and will be 72 halfway through the season and now having to work 2 games a week for 5 weeks this season he ain't gonna do that for very long. Al will probably hang it up in a year or two. Tirico will take over then. Tirico will just have to wait for his turn.