Class of 2017 - MJ Walker | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 MJ Walker

cuse2conn

Walk On
If we're worried about basketball scholarships and we need some "star" players on the football field. This kid can give us both. He's a 6'5'' 4 * wideout and also a 5* SG whos openly said he's very interested in going to Syracuse. Why don't we offer him a football scholarship and let him play both?

If the kid is a legit P5 football player, then by all means you bring him in if the staff likes him. Otherwise, basketball's scholarship problem is JBs problem, not Shafer's.

If the kid is a legit P5 football player, then by all means you bring him in if the staff likes him. Otherwise, basketball's scholarship problem is JBs problem, not Shafer's.

Football scholly, basketball walk-on. Like what McNabb did.

I think the 2 sport players are a thing of the past, at least in regards to football and basketball at a D-1 level. Now that football season runs longer for so many more teams (more bowl games), basketball starts earlier (can start practicing in early October), and more games in November. Add in spring practice in February, there isn't time to do both anymore. It would be too hard for a player to miss 3 months of basketball practice, join a team in January and make any kind of significant contribution. And I doubt Shafer, or any football coach, would be terribly excited for a player to miss spring practice so one of his scholarship players can be a practice player on the basketball team.

I wish we still had two sport athletes. Particularly since we have a former Texas 5A defensive player of the year on the lacrosse team, who had offers from Texas, Oklahoma, and so forth, and we have a kid on the football team who got a hoops scholarship offer from SMU. But mainly because it pains me that the most highly recruited LB on the Syracuse campus isn't playing football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom