Mock NBA Draft by Chris Mannix CNNSI has Ennis projected to go to | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mock NBA Draft by Chris Mannix CNNSI has Ennis projected to go to

Briancuse said:
It is worth more in the long run if you improve your game.

So he can't improve in the NBA?

Briancuse said:
The whole thing is absurd, people make it seem like these kids are being given prison sentences coming back to school for a year. Like they are forced to take organic chemistry, and advanced physics, and then go and dig ditches for 5 hours a day.

What amount of money is your break point?

So he can't improve in the NBA?

It is much harder to do, especially if you go to a better team. The good nba teams aren't interested in developing a player, they are trying to win games. They will give you a chance, but if you aren't ready, you will sit the bench. Nba teams don't practice a whole lot over the course of the season, and when they do, the practices aren't geared to developing young players, they are basically shootarounds to stay sharp and install offense.

I think if you are a top ten pick you go, if not you should come back.

So $4.1M is your decision point. Anything less and a kid should stay in school.

Briancuse said:
It is much harder to do, especially if you go to a better team. The good nba teams aren't interested in developing a player, they are trying to win games. They will give you a chance, but if you aren't ready, you will sit the bench. Nba teams don't practice a whole lot over the course of the season, and when they do, the practices aren't geared to developing young players, they are basically shootarounds to stay sharp and install offense.

Do you really believe all of this or are you messing with me?

Do you really believe all of this or are you messing with me?

It's weird. I'm watching this Heat/Bobcats game...seeing a guy who went way early after his soph year... he actually fell to the 2nd round, Josh McRoberts. Amazingly he looks like a different player after 7 years in the NBA...how did that happen with just shoot arounds?

You are only looking at it one way.

Even if you work hard and improve your game in college it's not a guarantee... there's always going to another group of oad caliber kid, our a guy overseas like Dante Exum... And they'll get drafted first based on potential.

It's weird. I'm watching this Heat/Bobcats game...seeing a guy who went way early after his soph year... he actually fell to the 2nd round, Josh McRoberts. Amazingly he looks like a different player after 7 years in the NBA...how did that happen with just shoot arounds?

You must have missed the first 6 years of his career where he didn't get off of the bench, and is only now getting starters minutes because the team he's on needs a player who can stretch the floor to accommodate their black hole of a center.

Last edited:

Josh mcroberts has been in the league for 6 years now, and he is avg 8.5 ppg, lets not go nuts.

McRoberts is just one guy, but he's been I would say a decent rotation player for a few years now. Appeared in 72 games and averaged over 20 minutes per game in his 4th year in the league. And come on, he was in the Dwight Howard trade! Fun player with the passing too.

But guys can definitely improve once they hit the league. Obviously. The idea that teams aren't interested in developing their players? That's a theory.

You must have missed the first 6 years of his career where he didn't get off of the bench, and is only now getting starters minutes because the team he's on needs a player who can stretch the floor to accommodate their black hole of a center.

...and made 11 million dollars. What am I missing again? Is the point of this debate that these players that leave early will never get better and be broke w/o a degree?

Here's one that left early...is getting better every year and made money.

Should add...McRoberts spent the majority of 2008 in the D League. I was told that was death.

Last edited:
It is worth more in the long run if you improve your game.
I mean dude you are so wrong on this one its funny. If Ennis/Grant return they have to play within the Syracuse system and maybe the stuff they need to improve doesn't get as much as it should because once they come back JB's system is what they will have to follow.

I don't think you realize how NBA contracts work. If Ennis/Grant go to the NBA and aren't picked in the top 5 the gap between salaries in the rest of the first round picks isn't high. In the NBA you make your money on your 2nd contract. If you are younger when you are eligible for your 2nd contract teams will pay more unless you are a finished product. Staying at Syracuse or college for any player who will be a first round pick comes down to the whether they enjoy the college lifestyle or want to get paid to develop. Not many players are finished products for the NBA, but if they have a choice to get paid in the NBA or play for free in college its not shocking most choose to leave early.

If I could have taken the bar after 1 year of law school and I could declare early your damn right I would have done it. Now the those last 2 years of law school allowed to have a little more time as a kid and have a good time, but I would have left early if I could have. I don't blame anybody who leaves to get paid they owe Syracuse NOTHING but leaving the school in decent academic standing.

...and made 11 million dollars. What am I missing again? Is the point of this debate that these players that leave early will never get better and be broke w/o a degree?

Here's one that left early...is getting better every year and made money.

Should add...McRoberts spent the majority of 2008 in the D League. I was told that was death.

glad you picked one example of a 2nd round kid who made it. I'd be willing to bet if we check the numbers on 2nd rd picks who left after their freshman year, it's probably at best a 20%-80% flameout rate (gone in under 2 years, D-League not counting)

Let's be fairly clear here, most of the kids when they hit the NBA are either ready or they arent. the higher a DP you are, the more likely teams are to give you lots of extra shots. Also the vast majority of kids once they get D-leagued (for non-injury reasons) do not make it back to the pros. Is it a death sentence? No, but its not exactly a good sign either. How many kids get called called up from the D-League and then make an NBA team and hold on for 5 years? Can't imagine it's very many.

glad you picked one example of a 2nd round kid who made it. I'd be willing to bet if we check the numbers on 2nd rd picks who left after their freshman year, it's probably at best a 20%-80% flameout rate (gone in under 2 years, D-League not counting)

Prove it.

Briancuse said:
Josh mcroberts has been in the league for 6 years now, and he is avg 8.5 ppg, lets not go nuts.

What do you have against $12M?

Any player who is a guaranteed first round pick should take the money. I remember Terrance Morris from Maryland if he left after his Freshman year when Stevie Francis left he would have been a top 5 pick, but he returned and ended up staying 4 years and getting drafted in the 2nd round. Their are as many guys who get D-Leagued or 2nd rounded by returning. I would advise every kid who had a first round grade to leave.

Even if you work hard and improve your game in college it's not a guarantee... there's always going to another group of oad caliber kid, our a guy overseas like Dante Exum... And they'll get drafted first based on potential.
His point is not "wait until it's a weaker draft" it's the following (Brian, please feel free to add/correct if I am mistaken)

With the high # of kids that can't hack it, that first contract is great 2-4 million dollars is wonderful. I get it. however that second contract of 5-10 million (or higher if you are what teams deem a true talent) is where the real money is. If staying in college an extra year means that you are more prepared to hang in the league, and see a second legitimate contract? that is some bonafide money we are talking about now. Yes you give up one years earning potential, but since the average NBA career is about 3 years (AKA not the life of contract 1), thats mostly irrelevant. You want that second contract, and if staying an additional year gives you a better chance at that, then it is worth it.

If you are a top 10 guy, people assume you are going to get that 2nd contract based on draft status alone, if nothing else. Below that, and you have to prove something to the big dogs in the league. If staying an extra year gets you the maturity/work ethic, game development/whatever else is necessary to make that happen, it's worth it.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is what Briancuse is saying. Bet on yourself for one more year, in school that you will improve and make it to the next contract, even if you end up going 18th instead of 12th the next year.

Prove it.

Not that I particularly care to go back and do this, but in case I am bored later, how many years would be sufficient for the data collection for you to be satisfied?

BTW... before you do your research..here's some more names from the last couple of years:
Lance Stephenson
DeAndre Jordan

Ennis and Grant aren't chopped liver. I mean they are never going to score 20ppg in the NBA, but both should be decent players and Ennis has upside to be even better than that.

Look at Avery Bradley he was 19th pick in 2010 after staying 1 year at Texas.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4240/avery-bradley

Ennis could be a better offensive version not as good defender as Bradley. I see Andre Miller when I watch Ennis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom