More cord cutting news | Syracusefan.com

More cord cutting news

HtownOrange

Living Legend
http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/more-americans-are-cutting-the-cord-14613213/

From the article:

"Steve Koenig with the Consumer Technology Association says 10% of us are now cord cutters."

and,

"And about 21% of the consumers we spoke to say they haven't had a service provider, one of those traditional pay TV subscriptions, for more than a year."

Supports the comments made by several media experts on this board. The data supports the idea that the ACC and ESPN are aware that cable is not the platform of the future.

HtownOrange said:
http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/more-americans-are-cutting-the-cord-14613213/ From the article: "Steve Koenig with the Consumer Technology Association says 10% of us are now cord cutters." and, "And about 21% of the consumers we spoke to say they haven't had a service provider, one of those traditional pay TV subscriptions, for more than a year." Supports the comments made by several media experts on this board. The data supports the idea that the ACC and ESPN are aware that cable is not the platform of the future.

Yep. Similar to "how many 20 year olds do you know that get a newspaper delivered to their house?"

But long term, I really don't think it's a problem for the ACC. People want to watch ACC football on the east coast. Live content is valuable. The delivery method might change - but the $ will still be there.

Also Sling TV is now offering the FOX family and you can use it up on 3 devices. The Disney/ESPN version only allows 1 device. There is some overlap between packages...I'm waiting to see how this settles out. Maybe the Disney/ESPN version will increase to 3 devices.

Not sure if you can order both packages or it is an either or...since there is overlap.

Being an ACC sports fan now...Sling TV is a wonderful option if you can get the local ACC game without blackout.

If you have an Over The Air (OTA) antenna that can counteract the blackout.

Last edited:
I cut the cord a few months ago, Sling tv is ok but sometimes the quality sux. It's no where near cable but I see that changing in the future. Still have TWC for internet only so got rid of only the tv and phone. I use Obihai for phone which isn't bad at all considering it's dirt cheap.

I can afford the TWC bundle but feel the price (which rises faster than mercury in the Mojave) is just ridiculous.

I cut the cord a few months ago, Sling tv is ok but sometimes the quality sux. It's no where near cable but I see that changing in the future. Still have TWC for internet only so got rid of only the tv and phone. I use Obihai for phone which isn't bad at all considering it's dirt cheap.

I can afford the TWC bundle but feel the price (which rises faster than mercury in the Mojave) is just ridiculous.

I agree the quality sometimes fades...I think that is more an issue with your Internet though...but I'm saving $1000+ a year so I put up with it.

Why do you need a house phone? I've been mobile phone only for years.

BTW, the other nice thing about Sling...is it gives you WatchESPN for your mobile devices...just sign in using your Sling log in

the price of internet tv will rise much faster than cable has gone up once it reaches that tipping point. the ability to watch multiple things at once is not there on things like sling tv. the channel choices is so limiting if you actually like variety in what you want. there is some savings.

slings new busines model has some interesting things too,

If you're a new subscriber, you can either abandon ESPN in favor of Fox's channels and the ability to simultaneously stream to three devices or choose ESPN (and Disney's other channels), but settle for streaming to just one device at a time.

you can get sling and a few channels for 20 a month or the expanded package for $40, cable is only a bit more and you get so many more channels and features. how long before the networks up the channel fee and make the cost the same for cable to get back the money they are losing?

Doing the cable cutting thing soon myself. I already have my pc connected to my tv, I have an xbox one with apps, chromecast, and an over the air DTV antenna. Only thing I am trying to figure out is how to record live tv. Xbox One is supposed to have this soon but not yet.

Amazon Firestick with the kodi app. I'm hoping to cut the cord soon also. My wife needs to sharpen her search skills and it will be time.

A few channels? I get almost 30 for $25 a month...plus I have Amazon Prime and other Apps.

This article says you can have both the ESPN and FOX packages for $40

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/dish-sling-tv-fox-multistream-espn-1201752423/
I also have Sling TV and Amazon Prime. I love it. I have ESPN, ESPN2, AMC for the Walking Dead, History Chanel, etc..., Wifey has HGTV so she is happy. The only thing I miss from my Direct TV days is the DVR. I also have a Mohu Leaf HD antenna, get a ton of local channels.

I also have Sling TV and Amazon Prime. I love it. I have ESPN, ESPN2, AMC for the Walking Dead, History Chanel, etc..., Wifey has HGTV so she is happy. The only thing I miss from my Direct TV days is the DVR. I also have a Mohu Leaf HD antenna, get a ton of local channels.
For $5 more a month you can get ESPNU, ESPN3, watchespn, Goaline, SEC Network

Doing the cable cutting thing soon myself. I already have my pc connected to my tv, I have an xbox one with apps, chromecast, and an over the air DTV antenna. Only thing I am trying to figure out is how to record live tv. Xbox One is supposed to have this soon but not yet.
I really don't miss the "no dvr'ing"...I mostly like live sports. Can watch most of the ACC games afterwards via ESPN3

I really don't miss the "no dvr'ing"...I mostly like live sports. Can watch most of the ACC games afterwards via ESPN3

ESPN 3 is true but I can't be home to watch everything live.

For $5 more a month you can get ESPNU, ESPN3, watchespn, Goaline, SEC Network
I am thinking about adding that package when football season comes around. I catch a lot of SU games on the WatchESPN app through my Roku. I have the Epix movie package now, not bad but you get most of the same movies with Prime.

Anyone on here that can shed some light on Kodi (xbmc)? Available on fire, digixstream, g-box Q2.
I've seen it work, but too scared to buy and try my own. I have a Mac I can try it on first so I may do that.

Anyone on here that can shed some light on Kodi (xbmc)? Available on fire, digixstream, g-box Q2.
I've seen it work, but too scared to buy and try my own. I have a Mac I can try it on first so I may do that.
its great for some things.. but you need good internet and be willing to watch one thing and not pop around to look for things. they are going thru some legal issues since its really allows illegal streaming in a much easier way.

Kodi is free what are you buying?

so you pay $25 for internet tv and could pay $30 for TW if you can get it and get 3-4x as many channels?

but I am much more concerned about my $300 cell phone bill than my $150 directv bill.
TW isn't $30...and you don't get ESPNU and WatchESPN for anything close to it. It isn't for everyone but it works for me. I move between two residences...I only need Internet set up at each place. The Sling goes with me between places with a simple log in.

so you pay $25 for internet tv and could pay $30 for TW if you can get it and get 3-4x as many channels?

but I am much more concerned about my $300 cell phone bill than my $150 directv bill.

Not sure where you can get TW for $30 per month. I don't use SlingTv but use Playstation TV instead as I like it better (built in DVR Could, up to 5 tvs at once, etc.)...but same idea.

My Verizon (used to have TW but was even more $) bill went from $200+ to $60 (just need internet now...Im at 50/50) and I pay $35 per month to get 70 channels thru Playstation TV. Works great and saves me over $1,200 per year.

Just my 4 cable boxes that I was renting from Verizon saves me $48 per month ($9 per box plus $12 DVR).

I am thinking about adding that package when football season comes around. I catch a lot of SU games on the WatchESPN app through my Roku. I have the Epix movie package now, not bad but you get most of the same movies with Prime.
I had a legacy log in (Through TWC) into WatchESPN for awhile...they caught up to me a few months after I downgraded and took it away. The good news is with the $5 add on you can get it back for your TV, Computer, Smartphone using Sling TV. Note: you have to add the $5 package to do WatchESPN. 2nd Note: Only one device at a time...if you watch something on your phone...no one can watch back at the house.

Note: you have to add the $5 package to do WatchESPN.

You get WatchESPN even without the $5 add-on, you just won't be able to view ESPNU/ESPNews/Etc. content. You still get all the ESPN1/2/3 shows though (unless a game is blacked out in your area due to regional broadcast).

upperdeck said:
the price of internet tv will rise much faster than cable has gone up once it reaches that tipping point. the ability to watch multiple things at once is not there on things like sling tv. the channel choices is so limiting if you actually like variety in what you want. there is some savings. slings new busines model has some interesting things too, If you're a new subscriber, you can either abandon ESPN in favor of Fox's channels and the ability to simultaneously stream to three devices or choose ESPN (and Disney's other channels), but settle for streaming to just one device at a time. you can get sling and a few channels for 20 a month or the expanded package for $40, cable is only a bit more and you get so many more channels and features. how long before the networks up the channel fee and make the cost the same for cable to get back the money they are losing?

I cut our bill from $175 to $80, and added Sling TV for $25. (Another nice Sling TV thing is that you can add/subtract packages whenever you want. Cable you have to call and talk to someone reading from a script to change anything).

I was watching Netflix and HBO Now in place of random "lots of choices" cable TV already.

But I think the bigger point is:

On demand TV shows/series + live sports can be had for cheaper than cable. The consumer shouldn't care that it affects ESPN or other cable built businesses.

Also - in our house we can have someone watching Netflix on the Apple TV and me watching football on the ESPN app on my iPad without lag. We live in the boonies.

upperdeck said:
so you pay $25 for internet tv and could pay $30 for TW if you can get it and get 3-4x as many channels? but I am much more concerned about my $300 cell phone bill than my $150 directv bill.

Who is getting cable for $30?!?!