More cord cutting news | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More cord cutting news

I get TW for my mother.. $84 for tv/internet/phone and 2 boxes.
are you on some type of deal that goes away after one year? I have starter TV with TW and internet @ $55 a month. To upgrade to the next package that doesn't even offer all the digital channels, they want $40 plus $11.25 per month for a cable box bringing my total up to around $93 with no phone. And that is a limited deal price, in Syracuse anyway.

I bought an HD antenna, a roku, chromecast for the other tvs and have prime and showtime. Good bye cable

Wow thats great...does she get HD, DVR, all the ESPNs, YES channel, etc? If so, can you provide me a link on that deal. I was paying well over $200 to TW.

Jeez, reading all this, I think I'd rather keep paying $100/month for cable than trying to cobble together a bunch of different crap to make sure I can watch the stuff I want to watch. I'll pay extra for the convenience and reliability.

Wow thats great...does she get HD, DVR, all the ESPNs, YES channel, etc? If so, can you provide me a link on that deal. I was paying well over $200 to TW.
no link just called and complained and they cut the bill in half.

no link just called and complained and they cut the bill in half.

So she gets all of those channels, DVR and HD? WHen I called and complained they didn't do much of anything for me...which is why I went to Verizon. Now that Playstation TV came out a week ago in my area I dropped Verizon and get all of the same channels I had before for a fraction of the cost.

Yes network was advertising all weekend that it was now available on Sling although I don't see it listed on their website. I would definitely go with them just for Yes and adult swim.

I switched to Verizon from TWC about 2 years ago when they raised the price from a horrible $219 to $239 with no notice and cut it to ($132) with my Verizon bundle.(including all those dumb fees) I also have 2 boxes, HD, DVR, ESPN, Yes etc. I also just got 2 new phones and changed my monthly verizon wireless from $173 to $119 even getting 2 new phones. I have saved $1922/ year alone with these 2 changes. I also went after my homeowners and auto insurance. Saved $1000 a year between those 2 immediately but now that great insurance company's charges have crept back up again so been getting new quotes from others to save that extra $500 they were taking away for no reason (no tickets nor claims). They obviously will low ball then raise their prices counting that people will just pay to avoid the pain of switching. Just fought with Verizon for doing the same thing but told them I switched from TWC and would switch back to get their newest $89 plus fee deal. It worked but not without effort. Funny how firms treat loyal customers like crap but value "new customers". Hate the game playing. It takes time and energy to save money though - neither which I had before retiring and needing to cut costs.

I agree the quality sometimes fades...I think that is more an issue with your Internet though...but I'm saving $1000+ a year so I put up with it.

Why do you need a house phone? I've been mobile phone only for years.

BTW, the other nice thing about Sling...is it gives you WatchESPN for your mobile devices...just sign in using your Sling log in

Yeah, you are right, I should dump the house phone and go pure mobile. I don't use the cell phone as much as I should but I can keep my bill down by using wi-fi at home and work, USMobile has some great plans!

Yes network was advertising all weekend that it was now available on Sling although I don't see it listed on their website. I would definitely go with them just for Yes and adult swim.
It might be through the FOX package...could be a sports add on.

Anyone on here that can shed some light on Kodi (xbmc)? Available on fire, digixstream, g-box Q2.
I've seen it work, but too scared to buy and try my own. I have a Mac I can try it on first so I may do that.

I have the G box Q and am not too impressed with it. Buffer, buffer, buffer. I did finally discover you can cut down on the buffering by clearing the cache, thumbnails and files after each movie/show and choosing the lower quality links but who wants to do that? I am using wireless though so maybe I'll try cat5 connection next, some say that helps.

I threatened to cancel my TWC several times and they did lower the bill for me but it kept increasing. I was a TWC customer for 40 years and how did they thank me? They charged me more than DOUBLE what they charge new customers! Lets see, how can we punish this guy for being a loyal/paying customer? Oh I know, we can charge him $197/month for the same service we charge new customers $89.99/month...

shandeezy7 said:
Jeez, reading all this, I think I'd rather keep paying $100/month for cable than trying to cobble together a bunch of different crap to make sure I can watch the stuff I want to watch. I'll pay extra for the convenience and reliability.

You're paying a premium for the cable company to provide that service for you. And to be clear - I think that's a reasonable trade off, I just prefer to have my hands on the controls.

But convenience and reliability haven't been an issue for me. Streaming has improved a lot over the last two years.

In fact the only time I've had an issue is when cable/internet have gone out at the same time in my area.

Amazon Firestick with the kodi app. I'm hoping to cut the cord soon also. My wife needs to sharpen her search skills and it will be time.

Bump this. You guys are missing out. Firestick with Kodi is a great $60 investment from ebay.

I threatened to cancel my TWC several times and they did lower the bill for me but it kept increasing. I was a TWC customer for 40 years and how did they thank me? They charged me more than DOUBLE what they charge new customers! Lets see, how can we punish this guy for being a loyal/paying customer? Oh I know, we can charge him $197/month for the same service we charge new customers $89.99/month...
Yup - I don't get that stuff. Early on in my career, working for 'the' phone company, I learned it costs MUCH less to keep a customer than it does to get one to switch back. :rolleyes:

I get that you want new customers, but you sure as heck don't want to lose the existing ones.

You realize you buy these things once right?

Bump this. You guys are missing out. Firestick with Kodi is a great $60 investment from ebay.
Get the Amazon box that is jail broke from Ebay. The hardware is far superior. I have seen the box with Kodi, Prime, and Hulu. Sports can be lacking but no commercials, pretty much any movie, and any TV show in HD. The ACC network is also on it. They're getting close to being perfect. I need MSG, YES, SU games on ACC Network, and Fox for the Giants and It would be perfect.

If you are cutting the cord to save money and have fast Internet already then complete the trifecta go with www.republicwireless.com for your phone service. They have hybrid phones with no contract and a buy back program. I pay 33 dollars a month for 2 Moto X phones and 4G service and all the data I can use. If I used no cell data and only had call, text, and data over wifi then those 2 phones would only cost 10 dollars a month. They are rolling out lots of new products this summer too.

Kodi always sounded illegal to me (i.e. piracy)
it is. it wont be long before they shut it down and force people down the other roads to watch this stuff. its already quite and exposure to run this as it is.

the way hacking is going it wont surprise me if people end up back at cable just to eliminate the potential issues that streaming can cause already. if you watched 60 min last night you wouldnt be streaming anything.

its great for some things.. but you need good internet and be willing to watch one thing and not pop around to look for things. they are going thru some legal issues since its really allows illegal streaming in a much easier way.

Kodi is free what are you buying?
As to not tie up computer space, a streaming device that accepts it. I currently have Apple TV 3rd gen. can't add apps.

You realize you buy these things once right?

You buy the devices once. There are still a number of services that you have to pay monthly for. Hulu Plus, Playstation Vue, etc. are not one-time payments.

You buy the devices once. There are still a number of services that you have to pay monthly for. Hulu Plus, Playstation Vue, etc. are not one-time payments.

This true. I guess the one thing I have going is I have a relative who works for Comcast and he has given me an online account that has access to pretty much everything.