Moyer on ESPNU now. | Syracusefan.com

Moyer on ESPNU now.

ugh these aau games are just as bad as the all-star games - all of the guards just going full speed trying to get their own - virtually no concept of team ball whatsoever - Dennis Smith head and shoulders best player on the floor - if NC St gets him and Adebayo like some are saying, look out

ugh these aau games are just as bad as the all-star games - all of the guards just going full speed trying to get their own - virtually no concept of team ball whatsoever - Dennis Smith head and shoulders best player on the floor - if NC St gets him and Adebayo like some are saying, look out

I didn't think it was as bad as the McD-type games. Not sure why Moyer was playing the post so much, though.
Kyle Guy was impressive, as well as Smith. Guy's going to be a thorn for us at Virginia. Motor, and a great shot. He's all over the court, all the time. And you can see the potential in 'Bam.'

Regardless of how everyone feels about these types of 'showcases,' I kinda wish we had the most dominant player in the game, instead of us trying to rationalize away the reasons why our guy didn't do so well. Moyer was okay, but I don't expect big things his first year. He's got skills and smarts, but not explosive athleticism, or the motor I'd want to see. But, he does have legit size for a 3-4 combo. He'll definitely be better in a system.

I think they played a game before this one, in the morning. I need to look for stats...

Zelda Zonk said:
I didn't think it was as bad as the McD-type games. Not sure why Moyer was playing the post so much, though. Kyle Guy was impressive, as well as Smith. Guy's going to be a thorn for us at Virginia. Motor, and a great shot. He's all over the court, all the time. And you can see the potential in 'Bam.' Regardless of how everyone feels about these types of 'showcases,' I kinda wish we had the most dominant player in the game, instead of us trying to rationalize away the reasons why our guy didn't do so well. Moyer was okay, but I don't expect big things his first year. He's got skills and smarts, but not explosive athleticism, or the motor I'd want to see. But, he does have legit size for a 3-4 combo. He'll definitely be better in a system. I think they played a game before this one, in the morning. I need to look for stats...

What is there to rationalize about 20 and 11?

yeah my earlier post wasn't even about Moyer - he looked very good out there imo - it was more an observation of how there's just way to much get the ball and go straight to the basket mentality in the aau games I've seen - probably not quite as bad as the showcase games but still just pretty poor team basketball...
but yeah MM is gonna be a great player for us

pearl31 said:
yeah my earlier post wasn't even about Moyer - he looked very good out there imo - it was more an observation of how there's just way to much get the ball and go straight to the basket mentality in the aau games I've seen - probably not quite as bad as the showcase games but still just pretty poor team basketball... but yeah MM is gonna be a great player for us

HS/AAU games that are televised nationally I think tend to be guard dominated dribble fests. ZeldaDonk is ed if he think Moyer isn't going to be great in Orange.

All star games are funky. It is basketball played as if it isn't a team sport. Flynn tore up the McDonalds game and Waiters stunk up the Jordan game. I would not dismiss the significance of winning a game MVP, but bombing out like Malachi and Waiters is probably not meaningful. Sounds like Moyer was solid but not outrageous. I'll take it, but we really don't know much about anyone that is not top five or ten until we see how they perform in the system.

wat

What is there to rationalize about 20 and 11?

Is that what he had? I didn't realize that. There were a bunch of 'technical issue' blackouts on my network, so i missed a few minutes. Excellent. My comment about 'rationalizing All Star game performances' was more about Chris McCullough and Malachi Richardson. No one's yet talking about Moyer. This just happened.

HS/AAU games that are televised nationally I think tend to be guard dominated dribble fests. ZeldaDonk is . . . . . . ed if he think Moyer isn't going to be great in Orange.

Well, I've already stated he's my 'pre-favorite' player and that he reminds me of Grant Hill, so, No, i'm not predicting failure.

I get you — that these games are guard-dominated, typically. Still, there are power guys who make an impact. I mentioned 'Bam' earlier, for example.

I am trying to remember how the three centers did in their respective McDonald's All American games. I think Dajuan had a pretty good showing but the other two were just average.

HS/AAU games that are televised nationally I think tend to be guard dominated dribble fests. ZeldaDonk is . . . . . . ed if he think Moyer isn't going to be great in Orange.
Moyer is going to be awesome

Dang! I really wish I had at least been able to DVR this. I missed it all together. Family stuff till around 4, then yard work till 6 and dinner after that. By the time I saw this It was over. :(

Anyways 20 and 11 is great especially if it was done without looking outstanding. I do agree that generally these formats are dominated by aggressive guards but I wish I could have watched because there is a lot to see in a whole game no matter what the players stats are.

Dang! I really wish I had at least been able to DVR this. I missed it all together. Family stuff till around 4, then yard work till 6 and dinner after that. By the time I saw this It was over. :(

Anyways 20 and 11 is great especially if it was done without looking outstanding. I do agree that generally these formats are dominated by aggressive guards but I wish I could have watched because there is a lot to see in a whole game no matter what the players stats are.

It's archived for the WatchESPN app. I streamed it through my Roku last night.

It's archived for the WatchESPN app. I streamed it through my Roku last night.

Sweet! Thanks man, I'll check it out tonight.

Just watched the first half of Moyer's game yesterday. First I'd point out that his team was pretty undermanned compared to the talent on the other team, they were also more perimeter oriented which is not uncommon in these AAU allstar type games. Guy is going to be really good at UVA but does need to get stronger.

Moyer's 1st half by my count: 2-5fg, 0-03pt, 1-2ft, 4reb, 1ass, 2to

He started off slow but had a bit more life after he came back from the bench. He did look to tire a bit after a mad back and forth 3-4 minutes but other than that he runs effortlessly. I felt in general he didn't have the bulk to move his defender on the blocks and because of that he had little success on the post up but did make a couple nice passes out of it. He also seemed to hold the ball and wait before making a move on isolation's or when receiving the pass. He will need to make quicker decisions. He also made a handful of decent drives from out top but needs to pull up or pass because they wound up unproductive. I like his first step for a player of his size. He has a nice handle for his size and is a rebound and go type forward which I love. He had an early rebound and take all the way to the rim although he couldn't finish. Another time he dribbled twice and had a great outlet to a wing shooter who missed. I found him to be a pretty good passer although he made two really sloppy ones for turnovers and didn't see guys a couple of times when he had opportunities. He has a long way to go on defense which isn't surprising. He often seemed to know when to help and would get there but failed to really deter the offensive player with his help. Pretty good rebounder but lost 2 that he will get once he gets stronger. He had one excellent one handed put back slam and filled the lane on the break well for an easy one another time.

All in all he wasn't super impressive but still did plenty of good things. I read he had 20 and 11 so I look forward to his second half and seeing what if anything he changed in his approach.

2nd half: Large chunks of footage missing down the stretch. I had Moyer for the following.

3-3fg, 0-03pt, 5-8ft, 7reb, 1ass, 1to

That is only 16 points and he apparently had 20 so I can't account for them.

Reading my notes, (yes I am going with the Iommi model because I enjoyed it so much)

Trusted passer by the coach, much more active than the first half, better job attacking with the dribble, didn't wander as much on offense, beautiful spin jumper from 12' in the lane off the bounce, great drive pivot and finish from the right baseline, horrible pass on the break when he could have dunked, great pass on the high pick and roll, great pass to the center in the half court and excellent finish on the break.

In the end Moyer is an very good prospect with well rounded skills to go with good size and length. I think at this point he has no offensive identity and does not maximize his skills. He has a decent nose for the ball but needs to battle more for rebounds. He is often in no mans land on defense and seems overly committed to his primary defensive assignment. I'm pretty excited but realistically he has a ton of things to work on and he needs to define himself as an offensive player and then use his skills to play off of that rather than relying in his skills to allow him to be functionable in any offensive situation. I think he really needs to refine the jumper as well. Its not quite quick enough and the gather starts too low so its hard for him to get off unless he has space. The release itself looks fine its more or less the getting to it part IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom