My apologies to those I offended with my negative connotation of Coach Hop | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My apologies to those I offended with my negative connotation of Coach Hop

I can't think of a single name of a great coach who followed a great coach.
As already mentioned, Bill Self has kept things running smoothly at Kansas.

here's four others I can think of, but we'd probably only agree that Pitino qualifies as "great," but the last two are still writing their stories:
Joe B. Hall replacing Adolph Rupp at Kentucky . . . . we don't think of him as one of the all time greats, but he kept the program humming & won a title
Rick Pitino following Denny Crum at Louisville
Matt Painter after Gene Keady at Purdue . . . about the same winning percentage; hasn't done much in March, but neither did Keady
Kevin Ollie picking up after Calhoun . . . small sample size, but I have to admit that he's doing well in an adverse environment

As already mentioned, Bill Self has kept things running smoothly at Kansas.

here's four others I can think of, but we'd probably only agree that Pitino qualifies as "great," but the last two are still writing their stories:
Joe B. Hall replacing Adolph Rupp at Kentucky . . . . we don't think of him as one of the all time greats, but he kept the program humming & won a title
Rick Pitino following Denny Crum at Louisville
Matt Painter after Gene Keady at Purdue . . . about the same winning percentage; hasn't done much in March, but neither did Keady
Kevin Ollie picking up after Calhoun . . . small sample size, but I have to admit that he's doing well in an adverse environment

I didn't word mine carefully enough - I meant that we don't see guys with no head coaching experience succeed great coaches and become very successful coaches in their own right. Self and Pitino, of course, were established before they took those jobs. Painter, eh. We'll see.

Ollie's doing pretty well. I don't like any part of that.

I didn't word mine carefully enough - I meant that we don't see guys with no head coaching experience succeed great coaches and become very successful coaches in their own right. Self and Pitino, of course, were established before they took those jobs. Painter, eh. We'll see.

suppose, for the sake of argument, that Hop doesn't do well. Would you go after Ollie? I would. After all, it is traditional for major national powers to pluck good coaches from the ranks of the mid majors ;)Nothing would be sweeter than to steal their savior from Husky fans. :rolling:

I can't stand the guy, no way. I recognize that that's letting my goofy rooting interest get in the way, but it's cool.

I made a lame comparison to him being Ed McMahon and potentially not being capable of replacing Coach Boeheim. Sorry I appeared so negative- just worried about losing Boeheim. Coach Hop is an incredible asset, person, and didn't deserve my remarks. I truly bleed Orange and am an alum. Hope you guys accept my apology and it won't happen again.

Goose

no board for you! come back 1 year!

When Roy Danforth left Syracuse, I was a student at Syracuse. A lot of people thought we should hire a coach with head coaching experience at that time as well. It worked out okay.

or at least hire a less nerdy coach

e7b7708e797600ec5224e422b02cadbe.jpg

I made a lame comparison to him being Ed McMahon and potentially not being capable of replacing Coach Boeheim. Sorry I appeared so negative- just worried about losing Boeheim. Coach Hop is an incredible asset, person, and didn't deserve my remarks. I truly bleed Orange and am an alum. Hope you guys accept my apology and it won't happen again.

Goose

As a person who makes posts that aren't always popular around here and can be perceived as too negative, I promise you the members on this board are very cool. You have to remember, how boring would this place be if a post said one thing and every comment posted after it said "agree'. Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, I for one welcome it and appreciate it.

I don't need to see on Painter. I don't know that Ollie is doing well. I know he had a good run with another guys kids for a few weeks.

No one can fill Boeheim's shoes. We all know it. We are all worried about it. (Well, almost all.) And almost all of us admire and respect Hop and hope for his success. It's a very sensitive subject. You approached it with a bit of hyperbole but sometimes that's what gets the best discussions going. Your public apology was not necessary but has undoubtedly warmed the hearts of many people on this board, all of whom have had "many a slip twixt the computer and fingers." (sorry, no clever rhyme came to mind)

As others have said, welcome to the peoplehood of syracusefan.com!

I didn't see your comments but I don't see what's wrong in thinking that maybe Hop is like Riker - a really good 2nd in command. We'll never know til the time comes but the brief glimpses of evidence we have of coaching in games... I really hope it's a smooth transition and we don't skip a beat. I don't feel though that decision makers should risk squandering the reputation of the program because the guy leaving wants it to be handed off a certain way - if people really think he's the guy for the job that's great. But when it comes to big jobs like this, you are never owed anything. How many great COO's end up running other companies because the board brings in someone from outside when they are hired? Happens all the time, sometimes for the best sometimes not. tough not to trust JB and think he will put legacy above loyalty in his recommendations, so I look forward to seeing what Hop can do. but count me as hopeful but slightly skeptical.
Riker is no Spock

for the love of god let's just nuke this thread. hey guys, why don't we sit around and worry about 50 variables that we have no control over. cool, sounds like fun.

br801 said:
Trust me, the 70s was a golden age of nerdy looking guys

Why are all the guys wearing shorts placed in the back?

And I didn't know Phil Mickelson's father went to SU.

Anyone who practices honest self appraisal / takes responsibility for what they post and has the humility to admit they have made a mistake is AOK in my book. We are all capable of coming up with a doozie once in a while. Manning up and promptly coming back and saying you may have erred is a sign of integrity.

Keep posting brother... you are more than welcome here.

I don't need to see on Painter. I don't know that Ollie is doing well. I know he had a good run with another guys kids for a few weeks.

But Painter, again, was at worst a quasi-established head coach. I don't think he was ever an assistant at Purdue but my understanding is that he climbed the ladder the traditional way and eventually took that MAC team to the tournament and Purdue decided to interview and hire him as head coach. Different than the Guthridge/Hopkins succession deal.

Etheridge replacing Thompson. Whoever replaced Lute at Arizona. Joey Meyer replacing Ray Meyer. Bartow replacing Wooden. It's a very, very long list.
I REALLY don't think you want to equate Etheridge and Hop, do you?

Many would posit that Etheridge was set up for failure so JT3 could take over as HC and be the savior of Hoya Hoops.

And I say that even though I think JT3 is a pretty decent guy for the most part. Compared to Daddy Dearest, Darth Thompson, whatever comparison you like.

JT3 must have a nice mom who influenced him and gave him GOOD genes. Again all being relative. ;-)

Many would posit that Etheridge was set up for failure so JT3 could take over as HC and be the savior of Hoya Hoops.

And I say that even though I think JT3 is a pretty decent guy for the most part. Compared to Daddy Dearest, Darth Thompson, whatever comparison you like.

JT3 must have a nice mom who influenced him and gave him GOOD genes. Again all being relative. ;-)

JT3 is much nicer, but he's also ineffective. There's no way he would do the things the Old man did like bring in academically-deficient thugs for a year to win championships (e.g. Michael Graham) or running off dozens of players they recruited but found lacking once they got on Campus (e.g. Too many names to list).

Unfortunately for GU, they cannot ever fire JTIII because Big John wouldn't allow it and the GU Administration both reveres and fears Big John. So JTIII is a "Coach for Life" or for as long as he wants the job.

Craig Esherick was cynicallyput in the job by Big John as a placeholder until JTIII could build up his resume. Esherick failed, of course, as John must have known he would.

JT3 is much nicer, but he's also ineffective. There's no way he would do the things the Old man did like bring in academically-deficient thugs for a year to win championships (e.g. Michael Graham) or running off dozens of players they recruited but found lacking once they got on Campus (e.g. Too many names to list).

Unfortunately for GU, they cannot ever fire JTIII because Big John wouldn't allow it and the GU Administration both reveres and fears Big John. So JTIII is a "Coach for Life" or for as long as he wants the job.

Craig Esherick was cynicallyput in the job by Big John as a placeholder until JTIII could build up his resume. Esherick failed, of course, as John must have known he would.

Pretty much agree with you there Townie!

NYCSUGrad said:

How bad can you be, when you look like Winnie the Pooh in a suit.