my dad | Syracusefan.com

my dad

pearl31

in cahoots
We lost my dad yesterday morning after a brief (and heroic) battle with liver disease.

Many years ago I converted him into a die-hard SU hoops fanatic like myself. One of his greatest joys was the college hoops season and specifically watching Syracuse games. When we didn't watch games together we always conferred via phone at halftime and at the end of games. He loved it so much. We had started making plans to attend the game in Madison next month - I will still attend as if he's there with me.

Make sure your loved ones know how much you love them.

We lost my dad yesterday morning after a brief (and heroic) battle with liver disease.

Many years ago I converted him into a die-hard SU hoops fanatic like myself. One of his greatest joys was the college hoops season and specifically watching Syracuse games. When we didn't watch games together we always conferred via phone at halftime and at the end of games. He loved it so much. We had started making plans to attend the game in Madison next month - I will still attend as if he's there with me.

Sorry for your loss, brotha.. Can't imagine. Whatever his flavor was, we will have a drink at MSG in his honor.

I am so sorry for your loss Pearl, my best wishes to your family. I will be praying for you guys.

Our prayers are with you and your family.

Terribly sorry for your loss, man. Enjoy the memories of the great times you had with him. That served as a huge solace when I lost my father overnight to a heart attack almost 14 years ago.

Pearl, my heartfelt condolences for your loss. My father passed away in February of 1995, 2 years after I moved to Florida from Connecticut. He was my hero and all of the good characteristics and traits that I have are a result of my father mentoring me, mostly by example. After 21 years a day never goes by that I don't think about him and miss him. Sometimes when I'm riding around in by Expedition during the workday I act like I'm dusting off the passenger seat and then I talk out loud as though I'm having a conversation with him. I am a grandfather now and my 33 year old son who has 2 boys also displays the traits and characteristics that we both got from my dad. It is a tribute to the great fathering that my dad set the standard for and it sounds as if you will be enabling your father to live on in your life by cherishing and keeping in mind the things that made him special to you.

When ever I'm faced with challenging situations I always think " What would Dad advise me to do or how would he handle this". I take great comfort in knowing that I have the honor of keeping his memory vitally alive and at work in my life and the lives of those close to me. Know that when you are at that game in Madison... he is with you, absolutely and without even a shadow of a doubt. As you may know I recently lost my 28 year old son, suddenly and unexpectedly. These things tend to make us reassess what is important in our lives and the passing of your father will be accompanied by a wide variety of emotions, highs a lows. I'll be thinking of you in the next couple days and most assuredly when that game is going on in Madison... with both you and your father in attendance.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 5 years ago and miss him every day. Believe me when I tell you that the memories that you have of him with regard to Syracuse basketball will never fade.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Pearl, what a terrible loss for you! And just before basketball season, a time you loved to share together. Twice as terrible! I agree with Flacusian, KNOW that your dad is with you. I lost my dad to a heart attack when I was 28. That was a long long time ago. Sadly, his memory has greatly faded over the years. But I do feel peaceful, because I know where I came from. That never fades.

Pearl,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Truly a sad day. I hope you were able to spend as much time with him as possible. It sounds like you guys had a great relationship. Great job turning him into a Syracuse fan!!

I've shared my story a few times, but my dad passed away in September of 1997. I was 11. He's the reason that I love Syracuse athletics as much as I do.

I'm sure that it isn't any easier losing your dad later in life. It's a huge loss, but I think that you'll enjoy Syracuse sports even more. It'll have some extra meaning now.

So sorry for your lost. My dad died in 1961 at the young age of 49 and I still remember him each day because he was such a great man. My prayers are with you.

pearl31 said:
We lost my dad yesterday morning after a brief (and heroic) battle with liver disease. Many years ago I converted him into a die-hard SU hoops fanatic like myself. One of his greatest joys was the college hoops season and specifically watching Syracuse games. When we didn't watch games together we always conferred via phone at halftime and at the end of games. He loved it so much. We had started making plans to attend the game in Madison next month - I will still attend as if he's there with me. Make sure your loved ones know how much you love them.

Very sorry to hear. Hoping for strength and peace for you and your family.