my dad | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

my dad

We lost my dad yesterday morning after a brief (and heroic) battle with liver disease.

Many years ago I converted him into a die-hard SU hoops fanatic like myself. One of his greatest joys was the college hoops season and specifically watching Syracuse games. When we didn't watch games together we always conferred via phone at halftime and at the end of games. He loved it so much. We had started making plans to attend the game in Madison next month - I will still attend as if he's there with me.

Make sure your loved ones know how much you love them.
Sorry to hear that, brother. What great memories you'll have. Funny, I just bought a flight home and tickets to the St. John's game for me and my Dad. It's on his birthday and it's the first time I could afford to get really nice seats. After reading about your relationship with your Dad, I realize how special that will be day. Thanks for sharing and rest easy.

Condolences to you and your family pearl31.

Let's hope the team this year has a season that will make you and yours feel better...

We lost my dad yesterday morning after a brief (and heroic) battle with liver disease.

Many years ago I converted him into a die-hard SU hoops fanatic like myself. One of his greatest joys was the college hoops season and specifically watching Syracuse games. When we didn't watch games together we always conferred via phone at halftime and at the end of games. He loved it so much. We had started making plans to attend the game in Madison next month - I will still attend as if he's there with me.

Very sorry to hear this but it is nice to hear that you guys had such a great relationship.

Hoping that when I am no longer around, my son will have those same types of memories, forged by our 'Cuse adventures...

Last edited:
Pearl, my heartfelt condolences. Remember all the good times and all the wisdom he passed on to you. My dad passed away last December at the age of 88. He was a big sports fan who shared his love for the games. I remember in the days before cable that we used to listen to games on the radio with Marv Albert doing the Knicks and the Yankee crew of Rizzuto, Messer and White and before that it was Jerry Coleman. And of course every Sunday was in front of the TV watching Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier. Those are memories that will never be forgotten. Grieve with your family and always keep great thoughts of your dad close in your heart.

Pearl, so sorry to hear that.

I have a similar relationship with my Dad when it comes to loving SU sports. I can't even envision my fandom without him being part of it.

Deepest condolences to you and your family.

Thanks all for your kind words. It really means a great deal right now.
It felt sort of weird posting about my dad's passing on a message board, with people I haven't actually met in person. But then it occurred to me that I feel a true sense of community and warmth here. And that's what makes Syracusefan a wonderful place.

Thanks again, and let's do this thing.

SUball

Condolences Pearl, lost my dad early this year so can empathize. Sounds like you had a great relationship so have good memories to hang onto. Best wishes..

Condolences Pearl, lost my dad early this year so can empathize. Sounds like you had a great relationship so have good memories to hang onto. Best wishes..
Sorry for your loss as well. Unfair that those we love leave us, but I truly believe people finding support in forums like help us all.