My E-mail to Jason Smorol | Syracusefan.com

My E-mail to Jason Smorol

SWC75

Bored Historian
(Jason is the GM of the Syracuse Chiefs)

I attended my first game of the season today. I usually go to 8-10 games a year. I like to sit in the Skydeck because I like the view of the game I get from there. I like to move around from section to section and sit in various seats to see the game from various angles. I also like to seek out the sunshine on cold days or nights and the shade when it’s hot. I’ve always noticed that people prefer the third base line early in the game because the sun is in their eyes if they are on the right field line. Then they switch to the right field line when the sun goes down because the view of the sunset from there is spectacular, often a whole reason to go to the game by itself. I like the “Uecker” seats because I usually bring a picture book on baseball history with me and alternately look at it and the game, seeing both the history of the game in my hands and the present and future in front of me on the field. Because of this, I like to stay away from the foul balls, or at least have plenty of time to react to them, so the far reaches of the upper deck are my favorite spots.

I was aware when I went to the game today that my favorite sections would be covered with advertisements this year. I was dismayed to find that the Skydeck was no longer general admission and I was sternly told at the ticket booth that I was required to stay in my assigned seat and could not move around. I asked for a seat in Section 308 and was given seat 1, row 1 because nobody had bought a ticket for that section yet. It remained about 99% empty throughout the contest but I remained in my seat, as instructed. This placed me directly in front of the railing, which obstructed my view of the game. It was the type of day where I wanted to be in the sun and that was a good seat in that respect until the midway point of the game when the shadows crept over the section and I was left with the cold win. I could have gotten some sun on the first base line but, of course, my ticket did not allow me to sit there. I spent the rest of the game walking the concourse and trying to find spots where the sun could reach me.

What really interested me was the advertisements you have placed on my favorite sections: they are all advertisements for the Syracuse Chiefs!. Obviously, fans that are already there are well aware of the Chiefs and have already decided to go to some games, so they hardly needed those advertisements to convince them to go to games. The fact that they all advertise the team seems to indicate that you’ve been unable to actually sell those spaces to local companies. It’s easy to see why: there’s nothing beyond the outfield fence but the railroad tracks and the trains that pass all seem to be freight trains. A passing plane or helicopter might notice the ads but they are partially obscured by the roof. I fail to see how the additional advertising space could possibly be producing any more revenue for the Chiefs. All it’s produced is more inconvenience for the fans.

Because of this I am writing you to ask you to reconsider the situation and give us back our general admission Skydeck. Thank you.

The tarps on the outer upper deck sections and the reserved seating now up there are being dime for the same reason. To bring fans up there closer together to make it look more crowded up there instead of spread all over. Those tarps aren't really ads but look better than if they were just a solid color with nothing. You should have asked for something not first row so the rail wasn't bothersome.

I sat in the 200s and moved a few times based on the sun.

The tarps on the outer upper deck sections and the reserved seating now up there are being dime for the same reason. To bring fans up there closer together to make it look more crowded up there instead of spread all over. Those tarps aren't really ads but look better than if they were just a solid color with nothing. You should have asked for something not first row so the rail wasn't bothersome.

I sat in the 200s and moved a few times based on the sun.

When this was announced, he said it was advertising they were selling to increase revenue. He did say something about wanting the fans to have a more "intimate" experience but I'd prefer the elbow room. I don't go there to get "intimate" with the other fans.

SWC75 said:
When this was announced, he said it was advertising they were selling to increase revenue. He did say something about wanting the fans to have a more "intimate" experience but I'd prefer the elbow room. I don't go there to get "intimate" with the other fans.

When they couldn't sell the space as ads, they just had Chiefs stuff put on them. But the covers were going up either way.

I just wish this town would support the team better. It's a nice little park, ample parking, a fun time and Jason is a good guy trying hard.

When they couldn't sell the space as ads, they just had Chiefs stuff put on them. But the covers were going up either way.

I just wish this town would support the team better. It's a nice little park, ample parking, a fun time and Jason is a good guy trying hard.

Agree 100%. Know Jason well from his previous career before the Chiefs. great guy

OrangeXtreme said:
I sat right next to Nick Swisher behind the Scranton dugout. :cool:

Were you the guy taunting him during his 3rd AB and when he hit a single, he stared you down as he ran to first?

Were you the guy taunting him during his 3rd AB and when he hit a single, he stared you down as he ran to first?

No, I was the guy taunting Brendan Ryan.

I agree that Jason is a great guy but this was not a great decision. The fans options should not be limited to create an illusion, (which, by the way was not created on this day). I do wish the fans would support the Chiefs better but this doesn't help.

Jason's response:

"Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely talk to our ticket sellers as what you described is the exact opposite of what we cover in our customer service training. The covers are here to stay. Just because there are no sponsors on them now does not mean there will not be sponsors some day. We covered the seats for a multitude of reasons, one being inventory for sponsorship.

You are free to sit wherever you want in the 300 sections. The reason we went to reserved seating was due to the complaints we received from fans that lost their seats to other fans when they went to the bathroom or concession stands.

You can sit where you like upstairs and on busy nights you might have to sit in your assigned seats. Just like the upper level of the Dome or the War Memorial.

On cold days we also let fans sit down past the dugouts if they want to get in or out of the sun.

We pride ourselves on great customer service so the issue with the "stern" ticket seller is what worries me the most.

Feel free to come and talk to me at a game sometime. The past two games I was sitting up in the "Sky deck" area for most of the game evaluating the experience.

Thanks again for the feedback."

My response:

"Thank you for responding. I’ll just add that the taxpayers paid for the whole stadium and the fans should have access to the whole place. Somebody on-line, (not a Chiefs employee), said to me that it was done “To bring fans up there closer together to make it look more crowded up there instead of spread all over. Those tarps aren't really ads but look better than if they were just a solid color with nothing.”. If that’s true it means the fans are being inconvenienced to create an illusion."

SWC75 said:
Jason's response: "Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely talk to our ticket sellers as what you described is the exact opposite of what we cover in our customer service training. The covers are here to stay. Just because there are no sponsors on them now does not mean there will not be sponsors some day. We covered the seats for a multitude of reasons, one being inventory for sponsorship. You are free to sit wherever you want in the 300 sections. The reason we went to reserved seating was due to the complaints we received from fans that lost their seats to other fans when they went to the bathroom or concession stands. You can sit where you like upstairs and on busy nights you might have to sit in your assigned seats. Just like the upper level of the Dome or the War Memorial. On cold days we also let fans sit down past the dugouts if they want to get in or out of the sun. We pride ourselves on great customer service so the issue with the "stern" ticket seller is what worries me the most. Feel free to come and talk to me at a game sometime. The past two games I was sitting up in the "Sky deck" area for most of the game evaluating the experience. Thanks again for the feedback." My response: "Thank you for responding. I’ll just add that the taxpayers paid for the whole stadium and the fans should have access to the whole place. Somebody on-line, (not a Chiefs employee), said to me that it was done “To bring fans up there closer together to make it look more crowded up there instead of spread all over. Those tarps aren't really ads but look better than if they were just a solid color with nothing.”. If that’s true it means the fans are being inconvenienced to create an illusion."

I think Jason's response was great. Not so much your reply back. You're making a mountain out a molehill. He said sit where you want up there. The last 2 sections just aren't available anymore. But there's still plenty of sections and room up there.

I don't blame them for trying to "create an illusion." If they can make it look like the games are more crowded and that it's the thing to do, then more people will come out for it. Part of the reason I think they have trouble getting fans to come to the game, is because the place looks dead. You can do all the promotions and everything else, but the gameday atmosphere is going to be driven by the fans and their energy. Look at the crunch. 4,000 fans there and it's full of energy and excitement. 4,000 fans at a Chiefs game and they are all spread out all over the place and the energy is dull (I get that hockey and baseball are two separate games with different energy levels, so it's apples to oranges, but the concept is still applicable).

I think the upper deck should remain general admission, but I have no problem with them putting tarps over some seats. I think it's a pretty smart tactic to try to change the gameday atmosphere and create more interest in the organization. They certainly aren't the first professional team to experiment with that. The stadium was probably built too big by a few thousand seats anyway. Hopefully it draws more people out to the stadium, because I'd hate to see them pack up and leave.

So are you upset that you bought a ticket and can't move around to any seat you want during the game? I'm pretty sure that's how seating usually works at every other stadium in the country...

I'll be amazed if this draws more people to the stadium. But if it does, that will be a good thing.

Right now it seems pointless to me and prevents me from sitting where I like to sit. And, like I said, the tax payers paid for the whole stadium. We should be able to use the whole stadium.

So are you upset that you bought a ticket and can't move around to any seat you want during the game? I'm pretty sure that's how seating usually works at every other stadium in the country...

So we we were the only stadium in the country with general admission?

So we we were the only stadium in the country with general admission?
Don't know about the rest of the country, but the Pawtucket Red Sox have GA seating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom