My Question for tomorrow night's Dino Babers Show | Syracusefan.com

My Question for tomorrow night's Dino Babers Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Dave Ramsey Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can, (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, you said in a prior show that you like to avoid tendencies, unless you are trying to use them to set up the opposition for something. Our passing attack seems to be almost entirely to the sideline. The center of the field is wide open. When do we attack it?“

Last edited:
the real question is whether we already are and Dungey is not making that read.. No way they leave the entire field unused on every play is there?

the TV feed makes it impossible to even tell if guys are running those routes, are we not running any seam/crosses or curls in those zone or just not throwing it there?

Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Dave Ramsey Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can, (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, you said in a prior show that you like to avoid tendencies, unless you are trying to use them to set up the opposition for something. Our passing attack seems to be almost entirely to the sideline. The center of the field is wide open. When do we attack it?“

AMEN!!!! The question will be followed by crickets bc DB will give nothing scheme wise. That said, this offense and its approach has been pathetic. Offense is about scheme and deception. Execution, spacing, and understanding where the D is. Look at the pats over the years . Minus Gronk and brady, the pats are overmatched at every skill position. They outsmart and outscheme. Its their game. We can and should do this at the college level.

We have NEGLECTED the middle of the field, thrown the same 20-25 yard pass as an out pattern to the flat over and over and over and over. Wasnt picked, bc we are running picks on dbs. All pathetic.

the real question is whether we already are and Dungey is not making that read.. No way they leave the entire field unused on every play is there?

the TV feed makes it impossible to even tell if guys are running those routes, are we not running any seam/crosses or curls in those zone or just not throwing it there?

From a simplistic perspective, I'd guess that the safeties really don't need to cheat to stop the run, nor do they need to double our outside WRs, so they're probably roaming the middle and not giving us open reads we expect to see.

That or what was mentioned previously either here or PS, that the interior OL isn't holding up much and it's limiting what Dungey can see developing over the middle.

Either way, it's not good.

AMEN!!!! The question will be followed by crickets bc DB will give nothing scheme wise. That said, this offense and its approach has been pathetic. Offense is about scheme and deception. Execution, spacing, and understanding where the D is. Look at the pats over the years . Minus Gronk and brady, the pats are overmatched at every skill position. They outsmart and outscheme. Its their game. We can and should do this at the college level.

We have NEGLECTED the middle of the field, thrown the same 20-25 yard pass as an out pattern to the flat over and over and over and over. Wasnt picked, bc we are running picks on dbs. All pathetic.

You like your crow in a pie or like, grilled?

I spent a couple of possessions just watching the center of the defensive backfield. Typically the safeties were back there with nothing to do. When I'm looking for is not a deep ball, although the occassional one would be nice. I remember all those intermediate route Lemon and Sales used to run so Nassib could carve the defense up. That and some short passes to to our shiny new tight end recruit, Mr. Pierce.

Good question. Watching the tapes...do any receivers go across the middle, at all? If Babers goes into reads then ask him why the WR's stop moving once Dungey leaves the pocket or scrambles?

i wonder if he would even tell us how it works, could be we dont run plays into those zones. i doubt he would want to reveal that. It could also be the WR are not running the reads correctly? Or it could be the reads say based on the D the open spots are in other places? This offense has far more moving pieces with how players end up in certain spots and less pre-designed locations.

i wonder if he would even tell us how it works, could be we dont run plays into those zones. i doubt he would want to reveal that. It could also be the WR are not running the reads correctly? Or it could be the reads say based on the D the open spots are in other places? This offense has far more moving pieces with how players end up in certain spots and less pre-designed locations.

I suppose all his tapes would tell any DC basically what to expect. It could be a case when the WR's are running to where the D is instead of going to the free zones. I don't know, it just looks very congested.

I don't know, but I trust him to figure it out. Some of the musing here makes it sound like he's unaware. I don't buy that for a second.

You mean you'd rather see what is happening on the field than get a close-up of Dungey's pores?

I don't know, but I trust him to figure it out. Some of the musing here makes it sound like he's unaware. I don't buy that for a second.

I don't think for a second HCDB is unaware. There are no real playmakers on this team and the mistakes (Bad routes and reads/drops/missed blocks) just amplify that.

I think Babers gave a pretty craptastic answer on the middle pressure being the reason we didn't throw to the open space in the middle.

I think Babers gave a pretty craptastic answer on the middle pressure being the reason we didn't throw to the open space in the middle.
Agreed...it's difficult to throw to a particular space when, by design, you have no receivers in said space. Imo, it's been a major issue with this offensive scheme since day 1.

So far this year, the only attempts to go vertical have been on the outside. I'd love to see a simple TE seam route or a WR post in the middle of the field.

the hardest place to throw under pressure is the middle, but its not like the issue was us moving the ball once we made some adjustments to the pressure schemes.

I think one of the issues is that we send our slot guys out so wide that when Erv is running what should be a middle of the field route, it's closer to sideline than what we're used to. I don't have a problem with it - as after he got hired I watched 6-7 Baylor games - what we're missing is the running game up the gut with a big fast guy and line who can block.

Briles also would sneak the TE out for big gains too. I'm pretty sure he's been kept in to block due to bad OL play.

Those expecting a lot of middle of the field throws will have to wait until we get a new coach. But we do need to attack that part of the field. It will happen with the run game eventually. Just maybe not this season :(

My Question(s)

I thought your question was going to be "Coach, I've been advocating since Jim Brown for us to go with 2 backs in the backfield. Against MTSU you decided to go with 3. Are you mocking me?"

I thought your question was going to be "Coach, I've been advocating since Jim Brown for us to go with 2 backs in the backfield. Against MTSU you decided to go with 3. Are you mocking me?"

I may ask an edited version of that as we move along. It's kind of my emergency question when I can't think of anything else.

oops i posted my comment in the wrong thread. lol. should've gone under SWC's recap of the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom