My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Quick version, disjointed, limited time available...

Silent G continues to put up solid performances game after game. Forget about the quest to be named first team all conference. He might get named to some second or third team AA teams. If I was disappointed with him in any way, it regards his rebounding. Even though he is mostly playing guard, I would like to see him get a few more many nights than he does. When he rebounds like he did last night, we become hard to beat.

TR was left completely alone 10 - 15 feet from the basket repeatedly last night. FSU decided to not cover him. When that happens, he needs to shoot the ball (and make the shots). I think our offense worked better when he was out last night because when TL or Silent G plays PF, FSU had to guard them, and it opened up space in the paint for the slashers to drive.

This was a remarkable game when you look at the rebounding numbers. FSU did a great job on the offensive boards, getting 17 rebounds and a not so good job on the defensive boards, getting 11 rebounds. Syracuse got 10 offensive boards and 25 defensive boards.

The numbers were so weird because FSU missed 65 shots, which is really high, while Syracuse missed 34. FSU came close to missing twice as many shots as Syracuse did. That is remarkable. Not a huge surprise TR had a slow day hitting the offensive boards, as SU shot so well there weren't many offensive rebounds to be had.

Great to see MR passing the ball so well. He could have had another but put a little too much mustard on one pass. His rebounding, passing and ability to drive have all surpassed my expectations, as has his defense.

Was really impressed with TL last night too. He hasn't done much in the way of driving to the basket this year but did it a lot last night and was really successful at it. Like his poise and patience when he gets the ball close to the basket. Has a knack for sizing up the situation, finding a path to the basket and going hard, finishing with a power dunk. But best of all, he was a dominant force on the defensive boards last night. Got some really nice rebounds in traffic and was able to hold to the ball in tight quarters.

Frankie was more up and down but he had his moments and his development as a serviceable player has more importantly allowed TC and Silent G to get some rest and for Silent G to play some minutes at forward, which is great for him.

Liked all the driving SU did. Got FSU in foul trouble, made them tentative. They never seemed to recover from it. Allowed tons of unchallenged drives to the basket, allowed lots of open looks from the perimeter. Not sure what Hamilton was trying to do on defense but whatever it was, it was a miserable failure. His strategy attacking the zone was also bizarre. It is great to be able to go against a team this badly coached twice this season. Hope we see them in the ACC tournament as well.

The numbers were so weird because FSU missed 65 shots, which is really high, while Syracuse missed 34. FSU came close to missing twice as many shots as Syracuse did. That is remarkable. Not a huge surprise TR had a slow day hitting the offensive boards, as SU shot so well there weren't many offensive rebounds to be had.

^This. I had a less than stellar internet feed on which to watch, and several interruptions, but it was obvious FSU couldn't hit water from the dock. I was surprised to see they shot 41%, it looked a lot worse than that.

When we took the air out over the last 3 minutes it was just ugly. It was almost like "Here, you take it, I don't want it." Again and again.

edit: If we run into someone who's good at pressuring the ball, we're going to have a problem. We all know JB knows this, but if another coach watches and picks this up, we'll need a very disciplined press-break.

Last edited:

disjoint-phrases-disjoint.jpg

Silent G continues to put up solid performances game after game. Forget about the quest to be named first team all conference. He might get named to some second or third team AA teams. If I was disappointed with him in any way, it regards his rebounding. Even though he is mostly playing guard, I would like to see him get a few more many nights than he does. When he rebounds like he did last night, we become hard to beat.

TR was left completely alone 10 - 15 feet from the basket repeatedly last night. FSU decided to not cover him. When that happens, he needs to shoot the ball (and make the shots). I think our offense worked better when he was out last night because when TL or Silent G plays PF, FSU had to guard them, and it opened up space in the paint for the slashers to drive.

All good points. Every indication is that Roberson's not allowed to take that shot. No one would argue that that's our first, second, or third option on offense, but we've all seen him make his fair share of mid-range jumpers and he's got good mechanics.

If he's open and he won't take the shot (for any reason), our offense is worse for it. And that's too bad, because he brings a lot of positives when he's on the court.

This is where the coach's conservatism is puzzling. We used to see players develop skills on the court. John Wallace wasn't forbidden from taking jumpers; he was given open looks, made some, missed some, got good at it and became a well-rounded player. I recognize that Boeheim's more fired up than usual this season and believes that we have essentially no margin for error, so that could be the reason behind this hard-line attitude toward pigeon-holing players into their known strengths. In the short-term, though, as you note, it makes us easier to guard and limits our upside. The alleged trade-off: fewer empty possessions.

well roberson did shoot 4-4. you want him to shoot 10 a game ? and take those shots away from who exactly ?
secondly i think tyler understands his primary role on this team is rebounding not scoring. just saying.

^This. I had a less than stellar internet feed on which to watch, and several interruptions, but it was obvious FSU couldn't hit water from the dock. I was surprised to see they shot 41%, it looked a lot worse than that.

When we took the air out over the last 3 minutes it was just ugly. It was almost like "Here, you take it, I don't want it." Again and again.

edit: If we run into someone who's good at pressuring the ball, we're going to have a problem. We all know JB knows this, but if another coach watches and picks this up, we'll need a very disciplined press-break.

Those numbers are crazy. More than any other recent Cuse game I can think of, this was a case where we made our shots and they didn't. It was almost that simple. I thought FSU manufactured decent looks, just could not knock them down.

All good points. Every indication is that Roberson's not allowed to take that shot. No one would argue that that's our first, second, or third option on offense, but we've all seen him make his fair share of mid-range jumpers and he's got good mechanics.

If he's open and he won't take the shot (for any reason), our offense is worse for it. And that's too bad, because he brings a lot of positives when he's on the court.

This is where the coach's conservatism is puzzling. We used to see players develop skills on the court. John Wallace wasn't forbidden from taking jumpers; he was given open looks, made some, missed some, got good at it and became a well-rounded player. I recognize that Boeheim's more fired up than usual this season and believes that we have essentially no margin for error, so that could be the reason behind this hard-line attitude toward pigeon-holing players into their known strengths. In the short-term, though, as you note, it makes us easier to guard and limits our upside. The alleged trade-off: fewer empty possessions.

JB mentioned in a weekly radio show that they chart of all those shots, of course, and TRob is only shooting about 25% on those 10-15 footers. That explains the collar they've put on him, but I agree with you. He is the kind of kid who needs to see it go in once or twice to realize that is a considerable weapon if he can deploy it more regularly. Release the beast!

well roberson did shoot 4-4. you want him to shoot 10 a game ? and take those shots away from who exactly ?
secondly i think tyler understands his primary role on this team is rebounding not scoring. just saying.
I think he should take wide open 12 foot jumpers. Understand, he is not the focal point of the offense and he rarely gets the ball in this prime scoring position. It might have happened 4 times last night.

So I am advocating he take maybe 2 more shots a half. I don't want to make him the focal point of the offense, just want him to participate in the offense in a way other than crashing the offensive boards and putting back point blank shots. We play 4 on 5 when he is in the game. FSU was so putrid on defense that it really didn't matter. But it will against top level teams. TR is not a completely limited player on offense like say KO was. He was the player of year in NJ his senior season. He can make 12 foot jump shots.

JB mentioned in a weekly radio show that they chart of all those shots, of course, and TRob is only shooting about 25% on those 10-15 footers. That explains the collar they've put on him, but I agree with you. He is the kind of kid who needs to see it go in once or twice to realize that is a considerable weapon if he can deploy it more regularly. Release the beast!

Good point. I'm not so sure he's been forbidden to take that shot so much as he's been coached into understanding it's not the shot they want right now, unless it's with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. I mean, everyone knows there are at least three better shooters than him right now. Why wouldn't he know it as well? He seems smart enough to understand that, based on having pretty good natural instincts.

Last edited:
Good point. I'm not so sure he's been forbidden to take that shot so much as he's been coached into understanding it's not the shot they want right now, unless it's with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. I mean, everyone knows there are at least three better shooters than him right now. Why wouldn't he know it as well? He seems smart enough to understand that, based on having pretty good natural instincts.

somewhat related, does no one use the glass anymore, ala Scottie Pippen or Tim Duncan? Ten feet from an angle is about as certain as a layup if he can hit that corner in the square each time, and it would make him a force, but I don't see ANYONE use glass anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom