My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
FIrst off, I didn't go to the game so I don't have much to say regarding The Rent or UConn fans. Though I will say it looked like the stands were half full. Was surprised by that after reading all summer on The Boneyard that this game was highly anticipated and was sure to be a sell out.

I wasn't impressed by the coverage offered by the CBS Sports Network either. SU alum and former local sportscaster Dave Ryan was fine as the play by play guy. The color guy offered little in the way of insights or observations and I cringed every time he started to talk. But I really disliked the camera angle and how far out the director chose to frame each play. To be sure, this is harder to do in a Asyracuse game, as a couple of the WRs usually line up near the sidelines.

What I did like was the use of a split screen to show a replay while continuing to also show live action. The speed of play definitely makes it hard to show replays when SU has the ball and this was a good solution to that problem. Too many camera switches to cameras with nothing to show as well.

Anyway, on to the game.

Was really curious regarding the talent level for UConn. They have been getting killed recruiting since the demotion, rarely winning head to head battles for talent with P5 schools. Diaco appears to have largely ignored recruiting small guys with speed and has placed a huge emphasis on recruiting size. It is a bold strategy and I don't see anyone else trying it.

Thought the talent has dropped somewhat. UConn used to be a really physical and tough team. That is clearly gone. Thought the secondary and linebackers were slower, not as athletic as in the past. The DL appeared to have no pass rushers and were notable mostly for how fat and slow they were. I liked Walsh; that kid can play. The fat DT from LI made some good plays, was glad he didn't have a heart attack. Levenberry is a good athlete but not much of a football player right now.

The safety with the tough name whose brother is coming to SU looked good against the run and lost against the pass. Their AA candidate at CB, Summers, was matched against Amba and was as abused as any CB has ever been abused in the history of college football. Amba made some money and Summers lost some, no question.

Why did UConn choose to defend Amba without safety help so often? Under what circumstances would they change their defensive game plan? Mind boggling...

But props to Amba for another dominating performance. He looked like a man among boys out there all game long.

Thought the SU OL did a creditable job given the circumstances. Thought the pass blocking was solid, the run blocking decent. Was good to see Bryne improve his snapping dramatically in his second start at C. Thought Evans looked really good. It must have felt great for him to get his first start and play well against his home state team.

Thought Strickland played a little better but wow, what did Fredericks do to get so deep into the doghouse? Dungey threw it well on a windy day and made a lot of very good throws. Just as importantly, he avoided making dangerous throws and threw no picks. Didn't run as much either, which was good to see. I think he did better with his reads and progressions too. In the final analysis, the biggest difference between the teams was at the QB position. Dungey was far more effective than the UConn QB. And that was the difference in the game (along with far far better coaching on both sides of the ball).

On defense, Franklin had a solid game. Was all over the field making plays. Bennett was in on a lot of tackles too. Ellison might be an upgrade for us at FS. Good tackler who hits really hard. The DL was good too. Slayton and Clark in particular. Armstrong is sharing time with Thomas and looks impressive. Winfield is very good and Hudson had a pretty impressive game at the other CB position.

On specials, Murphy and Hof had bad days. It happens. Riley looks really tentative returning kicks. Hope he loosens up soon. On the positive side, our coverage units did a good job.

Good effort, great to get a win on the road. Norte Dame is looking a lot more interesting today than it did around Labor Day.

Last edited:
Tom ... You missed one of the great highlights of the season. UConn had 22 tubas in a good marching band which was HUGE ... almost as big as a Big 10 band. They did a good concert pre-game and during the entire half time. Parenthetically, John Wildhack said we will be taking our marching band to the BC game. Too bad it was not at UConn... the weather was football-game perfect, and fans seemed to enjoy the half-time concert.

The stadium took forever to fill up (perfect tailgate weather and a 1 pm start), and it never got more than 1/2 full. At least 1/4 of the fans there were SU fans (lots of orange). There was talk about scheduling games there more frequently because it is an easy trip for a huge number of SU fans (and an OOC opponent we can beat). Picture below was taken pre-game when most fans were still tail-gating.

As for bad TV coverage, when I am at home, and the tv coverage is not great, I generally listen to the the Matt Park/Chris Gedney radio broadcast and mute the tv. I find Matt and Chris to be much more informative than random announcers who do not know SU well.

PS: Neither Cheriehoop nor I could find the Aero Lot and the forum tailgate. No one (e.g., people directing traffic) knew where it was.

14463095_10154093934634958_7672779679879543253_n.jpg

Last edited:
Tom ... You missed one of the great highlights of the season. UConn had 22 tubas in a good marching band which was HUGE ... almost as big as a Big 10 band. They did a good concert pre-game and during the entire half time. Parenthetically, John Wildhack said we will be taking our marching band to the BC game. Too bad it was not at UConn... the weather was football-game perfect, and fans seemed to enjoy the half-time concert.

The stadium took forever to fill up (perfect tailgate weather and a 1 pm start), and it never got more than 1/2 full. At least 1/4 of the fans there were SU fans (lots of orange). There was talk about scheduling games there more frequently because it is an easy trip for a huge number of SU fans (and an OOC opponent we can beat). (Picture below was taken pre-game when most fans were still tail-gating).

As for bad TV coverage, when I am at home, and the tv coverage is not great, I generally listen to the the Matt Park/Chris Gedney radio broadcast and mute the tv. I find Matt and Chris to be much more informative than random announcers who do not know SU well.

14463095_10154093934634958_7672779679879543253_n.jpg

From a tailgate perspective, I am envious ... Also glorious restroom facilities and no ushers at the entrance to sections so people were free to move about and do whatever

But it is a glorified Texas high school stadium ... And if people complain here about traffic before or after games here ... I think there is only like one way in or out of the stadium area.

They have a top 25 band though, and I liked the Air Force enlistment at halftime.

UConn Trip Report

We had our tailgate at the Pratt and Whitney's Aero Club across the street from the stadium on Silver Lane. I entered through the North (Back) Entrance at 8:30am on Clement. They actually opened this gate 30-45 mins before the one on Silver Lane (Strange). This is the best spot for early arrivers to park and wait for the back gate to open. Clement Ave is a dead end side street so you will not block traffic waiting.

Cost was $20 but it was worth it. Shortest walk of private lots around. Tailgate on grassy fields or pavement was easy. Ample garbage cans and inside bathrooms. We had probably 15% of the lot shaded in Orange. No parking lot Nazis and the UConn fans were the best behaved seen. I think their G5 status is sinking into them...not much of the usual arrogance.

Our menu was coneys, wraps and OZCuse brought some delicious Buffalo Chicken Sausage. We had lots of coneys (going to MetLife) leftover and beer too. As expected many arrived way too late. Oh well...depending on Wake Forest kick time I'm going to readjust the food/beer ratios.

The first time ever at UConn we were treated decently at the stadium...only a few halfhearted douchy drive-bys slinging trash talk.

The crowd was slow filling. I arrived carrying a nylon sack (about the size of a notebook) and was told it wasn't allowed. I removed all the contents from the bag and then walked through security still carrying the bag in one hand my contents in the other...after inside I put everything back in the bag...strange. It was a security d1ckdance but glad they didn't tell me I couldn't come in with the nylon bag...I would have left and stuffed the nylon bag in my pocket and reenter 30 seconds later 30 feet away.

Our seats were in 238 (basically on the goal line SU side)...we had 130 seats...most stayed in out seats but some left and went elsewhere. The crowd at the game was deceptively big. I put it at 28-30k. A ton of fans hang out on a large walkway behind the scoreboard in the end zone (opposite the students). 16 ounce aluminum can Coors Light was $8. Didn't try any food.

We need to schedule UConn on a regular basis.

Last edited:
UConn Football experience does not compare to the SU Football experience in my opinion.

The Rent has a huge parking area but it's on an old air strip and way far away from the stadium, which looks like a glorified HS stadium.

While SU does not have a wide open parking lot it has great pockets of activity on campus and of course has the Quad which I think is a great pre-game venue.

UConn feels like a small conference or junior college environment.

Last edited:
TexanMark said:
UConn Trip Report We had our tailgate in Pratt and Whitney's Aero Club across the street from the stadium on Silver Lane. I entered through the North (Back) Entrance at 8:30am on Clement. They actually opened this gate 30-45 mins before the one on Silver Lane (Strange). This is the best spot for early arrivers to go as you can park on a dead end street and not block traffic. Cost was $20 but it was worth it. Shortest walk of private lots around. Tailgate on grassy fields or pavement was easy. Ample garbage cans and inside bathrooms. We had probably 15% of the lot shaded in Orange. No parking lot Nazis and the UConn fans were the best behaved seen. I think their G5 status is sinking into them...not much of the usual arrogance. Our menu was coneys, wraps and OZCuse brought some delicious Buffalo Chicken Sausage. We had lots of coneys (going to MetLife) leftover and beer too. As expected many arrived way too late. Oh well...depending on Wake Forest kick time I'm going to readjust the food/beer ratios. The first time ever at UConn we were treated decently at the stadium...only a few halfhearted douchy drive-bys slinging trash talk. The crowd was slow filling. I arrived carrying a nylon sack (about the size of a notebook) and was told it wasn't allowed. I removed all the contents from the bag and then walked through security still carrying the bag in one hand my contents in the other...after inside I put everything back in the bag...strange. It was a security d1ckdance but glad they didn't tell me I couldn't come in with the nylon bag...I would have left and stuffed the nylon bag in my pocket and reenter 30 seconds later 30 feet away. Our seats were in 238 (basically on the goal line SU side)...we had 130 seats...most stayed in out seats but some left and went elsewhere. The crowd at the game was deceptively big. I put it at 28-30k. A ton of fans hang out on a large walkway behind the scoreboard in the end zone (opposite the students). 16 ounce aluminum can Coors Light was $8. Didn't try any food. We need to schedule UConn on a regular basis.

Great day for tailgating and UConn is one of the better spots for that.

Wish we could play them more often. But I am, of course, biased. It's a 45 minute ride from my place.

We were winless at the Rent, so it felt great to walk out with a win.

Great day for tailgating and UConn is one of the better spots for that.

Wish we could play them more often. But I am, of course, biased. It's a 45 minute ride from my place.

We were winless at the Rent, so it felt great to walk out with a win.

I suspect we will be playing the Huskies in the near future.

I was in the end zone, three rows from the field. The end zone where Syracuse was warming up pre game. When the players went back to the locker room, the drum line and the 22 tubas went rit in front of us. The rest of the band was lined up down the stairs to the field and a crossed the concourse on top. They played a song; and we were in between them. It was a cool sound.

As for stadium food, I had fried dough $6. My son had a pulled pork sandwich $13. It was on about a 4" hard roll. Both were tasty.

The drive up from NJ was easy, and it was a beautiful day for a tailgate and a guaranteed win (per Texanmark.)

Re:stadium impressions, even though they had metal benches, they were wide and relatively comfortable. I thought the beer and food selections were way better than ours, which as we all know is a relatively low bar. They had food trucks on the concourse and my lovely wife picked up a fresh burger and pulled pork over mac-n-cheese. Both were tasty.

Microbrews were $9 but a larger pour.

Decent experience overall. It was a beautiful day and was great to hang out with the Fine Mess crew regulars as well as the CT Alumni club. Got to meet some great folks from '59, '75, etc. Some really great stories.

Kudos TexanMark, for arranging the tailgate. It was a good day!

I've never understood why tailgate lots have to be some big area of acres and acres of open parking spots. So SU's is spread out! Lots of small lots. Seems like people can enjoy themselves just as easily.

I suspect we will be playing the Huskies in the near future.

Hope not we should be playing Temple, FAU, FIU, ODU, Army, UMass, Akron, Ohio, Kent State, Miami OH, and Georgia State all ahead of UConn. They are all easier games and will be played in strong recruiting locals. We can probably get some 2 for 1s as well.

Reactions: FAL
Hope not we should be playing Temple, FAU, FIU, ODU, Army, UMass, Akron, Ohio, Kent State, Miami OH, and Georgia State all ahead of UConn. They are all easier games and will be played in strong recruiting locals. We can probably get some 2 for 1s as well.

I agree with you.

I’d noticed that the first stringers on the UConn depth chart were almost across the board on both sides of the ball heavier than our starters. They’ve got P5 size. However, as we saw, Diaco is favoring size at the expense of speed and quickness.

I agree, Dungey knows he can pass to Amba even when he’s covered and Amba will come down with the ball. I think he’s a problem for defenses. If you double him, then someone else is open. I would assume ND’s approach will be to make Dungey run for his life. That worked fine for USF, however it seemed our O line looked better yesterday. UConn is supposed to have a great defense, a top 20 scoring D last year.

I liked Dungey only ran it 7 times. That’s got to be an all-time low for him. He’s clearly moved from feeling like HE IS the offense, to simply running the offense.

I've never understood why tailgate lots have to be some big area of acres and acres of open parking spots. So SU's is spread out! Lots of small lots. Seems like people can enjoy themselves just as easily.

Spend a football weekend in Knoxville. You'll never have more fun and you'll never see people more spread out for tailgating.

People were tailgating at gas pumps!

Spend a football weekend in Knoxville. You'll never have more fun and you'll never see people more spread out for tailgating.

People were tailgating at gas pumps!
But our tailgating is spread out and weak...it was embarrassing before the USF game. The Fine and Standart Lots had about 4 active tailgates going 3 hours prior...that is weak for 12:30pm. The USF fans (all 3 of them) in Standart were not impressed.

Floyd Little, Dwight Freeney, and Tebucky Jones tell me that CT occasionally has some great recruits...I also like your list...those are more teams we need to engage for games.

But our tailgating is spread out and weak...it was embarrassing before the USF game. The Fine and Standart Lots had about 4 active tailgates going 3 hours prior...that is weak for 12:30pm. The USF fans (all 3 of them) in Standart were not impressed.

20,000 people aren't going to games.

I was up there for Louisville and things were pretty lively by 4. Of course I'm normally in the Adams/University area. That's always an early and often tailgate area.

Floyd Little, Dwight Freeney, and Tebucky Jones tell me that CT occasionally has some great recruits...I also like your list...those are more teams we need to engage for games.

Like you said occasionally. Playing UConn isn't worth it for recruiting.

I thought the tailgating and the atmosphere were top notch. To be honest I thought it was better than Syracuse all the way. We arrived around 9:30 at the stadium and drve for aboutn5 miles before we were directed to park for our tailgating. Well we must have chose the wrong line because we ended up in the middle of Uconn Student tailgates. It was quite the party atmosphere and there were many hammered students. Just on a side note but when did jean shorts and flannels come back into to style. Thought I was at a Pearl Jam concert. Anywho we survived that clusterF and walked to the game. It was about a 3/4 of a mile and an easy walk. I actually enjoyed the venue and long for the wide open concourses and the outdoor stadium. Just to open up a can of worms but it makes me want to implode the carrier dome and start from scratch. It's great to see lots of people tailgating and the different flags. We were treated pretty well by the Uconn fans and even had some closet Uconn students who were actually cuse fans stop bye to say hello. We grilled up some Hot sausages and peppers and onions for our pregame meal. We washed it down with some fine microbrews from Treehouse Brewery. Band was awesome and put ours to shame. Food was better in the stadium. Just being there shows me that we have a lot to improve upon to upgrade the game experience. Leaving was quick and easy, even scored another table left by the Uconn students. I will say we were disgusted by the mess they left. Looked like a landfill. If I could post a picture from my phone I would. In closing, we should be playing them every year. Easy road trip.

Reactions: cto
But UMass is? Sounds about the same to me Sal.

UMass isn't but it is an easy win. UConn can beat SU. What benefit to the program is playing UConn? Also with UMass being an Independent right now SU could easily get a 2 for 1. SU should be scheduling G5 teams that are in recruiting territories and/or easy Ws. There is zero logic to schedule otherwise.

UMass isn't but it is an easy win. UConn can beat SU. What benefit to the program is playing UConn? Also with UMass being an Independent right now SU could easily get a 2 for 1. SU should be scheduling G5 teams that are in recruiting territories and/or easy Ws. There is zero logic to schedule otherwise.
UMass came pretty close to beating Miss St. yesterday...you schedule any of these G5 teams 4-5 years they might just be tougher than you bargained for...see Cuse taking USF over UCF for a 2 game series a couple years back.

UMass came pretty close to beating Miss St. yesterday...you schedule any of these G5 teams 4-5 years they might just be tougher than you bargained for...see Cuse taking USF over UCF for a 2 game series a couple years back.

I don't agree with that. You can hedge your bet. Sure you can get a team like CMU that beats Okie State. But then they go out and lose to UVA. They are capable of beating you but aren't a Top 40 team. You can never be 100% safe. AAC and MWC teams are generally stronger than the other G5 teams. We probably should never play any of those schools ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom